Okay chaps, but what about helmets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen a test on the helmets and I don't think they are designed to stop a spinning chain. In most of the cases I've seen and heard about the chain brake has done its job and stopped the chain from spinning but the operator still got a pretty nasty gash from a sharp chain on an out of control saw. I gotta think even a plastic hard hat and a face screen will all but prevent this type of injury. I know of one injury that was posted here a while back that I don't think having a face screen would have helped much at all, might have lessened the injury a little but I'm pretty sure that fella would have been cut by that saw anyway.

The hard hats are mainly for falling objects and the face screen really cuts down on the amount of fiber in your diet and saw chips in the eyes. The extra protection in a kick back situation is just a bonus for me. Lets say a 3" dia. limb falls off the tree your felling and hits you in the top of the head..... it's gonna hurt for sure.... now lets say that 3" limb has a one inch dia. limb broken off into a 2" long spike...... my little girl likes for daddy to come home at night.... I'll be wearing my hardhat.

:cheers:

I definitely always wear the hard hat falling... but I found out, it overheats me so much, even in the winter, that I end up sweating, getting dehydrated, or I stop moving and then I freeze because I'm sweaty... and all of that leads to disorientation. So I ditch it for bucking. I haven't seen or read anything that I gain enough wearing it bucking to make it worth it, in my case, but every is certainly not like me.... despite how perfect the world would be if everyone was.... :D

Anyone that dosen't wear a hard hat when felling, & limbing has never been hit in the head by a cone, or 1" stick falling from 75 to 100 feet up. Much less anything big happening.

Andy

Does anyone know where I can get a helmet that isn't bright orange or white...kinda sticks out like a sore thumb in the woods.

I want a camo colored one but couldn't find anywhere on any of the sponser websites. Is there a such thing?

checking out cabelas site, they have one for ATV's tho.

Helmet, earmuffs, and face shield these days, every time. If you let your standard slip, who knows where you'll stop? Develop a good habit and stick to it.

I've never had a saw kick back on me, at least not big time. I've taken debris hits on my face that drew blood... that's all the convincing I need!

I wear a hard hat when I'm fallin'... and limbin' the spar after fallin'. If I gotta buck the same logs for pay... yep. :)

Hard hat for fallin'... no matter what the reason... yep. Buckin' firewood for myself... prolly not.

Hardhats are a good thing... I've gotten used to wearin' them for my entire life in the woods... Feel naked if I'm fallin' timber without one.

Gary

hey gary, if i bought you a hard hat that came with an attached full body chap would you wear it?:)

my $.02 from the last safety thread

i wear chaps most of the time.
i wear a husky helmet-face-guard-muff monstosity sometimes.
i wear steel toes most of the time.
i wear gloves almost all of the time.

no chaps or helmet when cutting in the back yard. slow-paced, non cluttered, controlled environment.

always chaps in the woods. walking on trees, bad footing, ect.

helmet in woods always when felling, not so much during bucking.

steel toes and gloves always except when its just 1 or 2 cuts in the yard.

Full face hard hat with muffs

Thou I'm no pro and only cut for myself this is one part of PPE I still need to get. I do wear safety glasses and ear protection along with my chaps,gloves and steal toed boots.

Does anyone know where I can get a helmet that isn't bright orange or white...kinda sticks out like a sore thumb in the woods.

I want a camo colored one but couldn't find anywhere on any of the sponser websites. Is there a such thing?

You can always paint it camo.

Out here it is a good thing to be visible. That way, you might not get a tree dropped on you by somebody else. Orange is the most popular color, followed by the plain tin hats. I color coordinate with my rubber calks.

...with paints made for ABS plastic. You don't want to spray it with something that might weaken it.

Any automotive grade paint will work. Problem is it will get scratched up so you will have to repaint a few times to keep it looking good. It is hard to paint plastic period(just ask any automotive paint and body shop). Plastic is so slick that it is hard to get the paint to stick and not scratch off(this is why the color in plastic on car parts is made into the plastic during processing).

Any automotive grade paint will work. Problem is it will get scratched up so you will have to repaint a few times to keep it looking good. It is hard to paint plastic period(just ask any automotive paint and body shop). Plastic is so slick that it is hard to get the paint to stick and not scratch off(this is why the color in plastic on car parts is made into the plastic during processing).

Don't paint a plastic hard hat without consulting with the manufacture first. Many paints can weaken the shell.

You should be going for a color that stands out from the background. You can buy hats in orange, white, blue, yellow, that will make you just a bit safer. Besides that running chainsaw makes it hard to hide. Now if you are preparing for the zombie uprising then camo might be the way to go.

Worried about a hat standing out? What about the saw running and trees falling, I feel like if you are trying to be stealthy, you are fighting a losing battle.

I have a pink Skull Bucket and a Yellow plastic something or another. Makes it easier for people who come late to find me if the saw is off and my plugs are in so I can't hear them calling.

My hardhat is great at hanging my face shield and ear protection from. Otherwise I'd have ringing ears and be constantly picking little bits of crap out of my eyes at the end of the day. :laugh::laugh:

I always wear a hard hat now, for a long time i didnt wear one at all. The first time I put one on I was falling a dead maple for my uncle and just had a bad fealing about it. Dad had a plastic hat in the garage so I grabed that and went to work, just as soon as I touched the bar to the tree a limb about 1.5" X 24-36" long fell and hit me square in the top of the head. Shocked me a quite a bit, I hadnt seen anything loose up there when IK started the job but because of the hat I was able to shake it off and finish the job. With out it I'm sure some stiches would have been involved.

That night when I got home I jumped on the computer and went to Balieys and ordered an orange Skull Bucket full brim alluminum job. Now I never run a saw with out it. On a side not I never ealized just how many limbs come close to hiting my head when walking through the brush, with the alluminum hat on I can hear every twig I get close to:)

I also always wear steel toes, but then again I'm kinda bias there because I dont own anything with out a steel toe :givebeer:

Hey Slow, shudden that read Sisterhood of the traveling muddy tin pants?

Nope cuz they don't travel well. They take up a lot of space! They also remind me of the Dr. Suess scary story, "The Pants With Nobody In Them." because I can stand them up on their own. :) Oops, back to hel...hardhats.
Here's a color coordinated outfit.
attachment.php

Out here it is a good thing to be visible. That way, you might not get a tree dropped on you by somebody else. Orange is the most popular color, followed by the plain tin hats. I color coordinate with my rubber calks.

Here's a color coordinated outfit.
attachment.php

i don't think that is you. i feel deceived.:)

Back