Okay chaps, but what about helmets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about getting a full body suit and helmet with my name on it and sponsers. Kinda like a pro bass fisherman or NASCAR driver. I can look like I know what the hell I'm doing even though I don't.

hey i wear a full carhart suit when im cutting in my woods

I use natural aluminum skull bucket. I have learned from Slowp about color coordination. The natural aluminum coordinates well with most colors but comes into its own matched with Carhart hickories as they are more of a gray color than Prison blues, key , five brothers which tend to be bluer in color. See patty im being learnded about fashion:chainsaw:

I fall on the Westcoast of B.C Big timber.. If one of my fallers show with no Helmet system, its a simple greeting "Go home" I have seen what a hasle a helmet is to wear in the woods and Iv seen what a amazing thing a Helmet can do in saving one of my cutter life...

I wear my original Mac-T when felling, and working in the woods. Keeps sticks and crap off my head.

When I'm in the tree working i wear a petzl helmet as it stays on my head easier.

Always wear chaps, saw pants, or labonville inserts, safety glasses, and usually ear plugs unless there are special circumstances where i need more hearing, and either rubber chainsaw calks, or plain steel toe boots (unless doing ROW work then its plain leather boots)

Last edited:
LMAO... another great thread... :rolleyes:

I wear a hard hat when I'm fallin'... and limbin' the spar after fallin'. If I gotta buck the same logs for pay... yep. :)

Hard hat for fallin'... no matter what the reason... yep. Buckin' firewood for myself... prolly not.

Hardhats are a good thing... I've gotten used to wearin' them for my entire life in the woods... Feel naked if I'm fallin' timber without one.

Christ I'm drunk... oh well tomorrow is a day off... :) Did I spell everything good... no cuss words? Fark yeah! :laugh:

Gary
unrelated thread but u asked for pictures a while ago, so here they are!

Mostly, but not always, call it 90%. The only time I took something big right on the noggin I was wearing a tin hat, I got two cuts, 16 stitches worth. My normal reaction to pain is anger, I pushed the hat back, finished killing the tree. The blood followed the liner back, ran down my neck, soaked my shirt, I didn't know I was bleeding until I took the hat off. I never worried much, I'm gonna die in bed, after being hit by a meteorite.

How a hard hat saved my dad's life.

1967, south west Western Australia. Dad was in the passenger seat of an unloaded logging truck doing about 50 mph downhill on a dirt road in serious logging country when lightening struck a 48"+ diameter tree by the side of the road that falls down across the road at an angle right in front of the truck. The driver slams on the brakes but the air line blows on the 1.5 tonne trailer which is not locked down properly on the drawbar and the trailer slides down the drawbar turning and smashing the passenger side corner of the truck into the tree. Dad is wearing his loggers hard hat and hanging onto the bottom of the seat. The seat bolts are ripped out of the cabin floor and Dad and the seat go flying through the windscreen breaking a leg and ripping a kneecap off. He then he flys through the air head first and hits another tree head on, shattering the hard hat and breaking 3 vertebrae and a couple of ribs. The driver stepped out of the truck with a couple of scratches. The place where Dad had been sitting was about 18" from the roof of the truck - if the truck had had seatbelts he would have been crushed. That was the end of his felling days. He was off work for 2 years and his insurance payout was a measly $1500!

I use natural aluminum skull bucket. I have learned from Slowp about color coordination. The natural aluminum coordinates well with most colors but comes into its own matched with Carhart hickories as they are more of a gray color than Prison blues, key , five brothers which tend to be bluer in color. See patty im being learnded about fashion:chainsaw:

Excellent. My life has meaning! I hope I'm not making a fashion faux pas by getting BROWN calk boots. I was so tired of the ho hum black. It is time to think about Summer Fashions now. I have had no luck in the search for pink hickory shirt fabric. Maybe I'll have to travel to China and get some made, except I'm not too fond of their food. Fashion is tough!:)

I always wear mine, had a few knocks on the head with and without it.(nothing serious) I don't take any chances now. You can see the rust spots on the screen from sweat and from trying to spit.lol

motorcycles004-2.jpg

Well he said ABS plastic. Most cars have ABS plastic on them. I myself wouldn't paint it because I don't care about the color. You only need camo when hunting and running a saw is not the best hunting thing to do(though deer do strange things sometimes).

Last edited:
I don't understand the whole camo thing, Why would anybody want a camo saw or camo helmet or anything that you wear while cuttin wood. i want to be seen. Not that i'm good lookin(i'm bad ugly) it's just don't want anyone to shoot or run over or drop a tree on me. As far as the camo saw, H:censored: i have trouble finding the stihls sometimes.

I don't understand the whole camo thing, Why would anybody want a camo saw or camo helmet or anything that you wear while cuttin wood. i want to be seen. Not that i'm good lookin(i'm bad ugly) it's just don't want anyone to shoot or run over or drop a tree on me. As far as the camo saw, H:censored: i have trouble finding the stihls sometimes.

One I wouldn't want to be seen like a easy target. Not sure if you know it but don't want any of my neighbor to look at me when they see a bright helmet as something that sticks out of the wood...I prefer that it can be seen if you look for it out of the window, not like oh there's this bright orange helmet on this guy and he's cutting a tree with a chainsaw...I'm gonna call the town to report this guy!
Yes it has happened before.

BTW I got the Bailey's christmas catalog and it shows this camo echo chainsaw in it:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CS+330C+14&catID=

One I wouldn't want to be seen like a easy target. Not sure if you know it but don't want any of my neighbor to look at me when they see a bright helmet as something that sticks out of the wood...I prefer that it can be seen if you look for it out of the window, not like oh there's this bright orange helmet on this guy and he's cutting a tree with a chainsaw...I'm gonna call the town to report this guy!
Yes it has happened before.

BTW I got the Bailey's christmas catalog and it shows this camo echo chainsaw in it:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CS+330C+14&catID=
I'm not gonna be cuttin on somebodys land that i didn't get approval. It's not like their gonna hear the saw anyway especially if their close enough to see you. I see what your sayin though, Just get approval and you don't have to worry about it.

Back