Okay chaps, but what about helmets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not gonna be cuttin on somebodys land that i didn't get approval. It's not like their gonna hear the saw anyway especially if their close enough to see you. I see what your sayin though, Just get approval and you don't have to worry about it.

I am cutting on my own land in my own backyard.

Point is the town has some real stupid codes that requires you to get a permit to cut trees if it's more than 9" circumference.

I had to get a permit to cut 3 trees down. And still got confronted by the bad neighbor about it.
Told him to get off my land and if he got problems, go and call the authorites.

2 times I had to stop work because the neighbor stood outside starring at me and was too close to my backyard property line when I was felling the biggest tree on that day (top of tree fell about a foot to two from the property line). The other time was cutting the 2 smaller trees and the police showed up over a complaint call and I showed them a copy of the permit and off they left with no further problems.

Point is the town has some real stupid codes that requires you to get a permit to cut trees if it's more than 9" circumference.

I had to get a permit to cut 3 trees down. And still got confronted by the bad neighbor about it.

2 times I had to stop work because the neighbor stood outside starring at me and was too close to my backyard property line when I was felling the biggest tree on that day (top of tree fell about a foot to two from the property line). The other time was cutting the 2 smaller trees and the police showed up over a complaint call and I showed them a copy of the permit and off they left with no further problems.

I think you need to move. Sounds like communist government there. I cut trees on my land whenever and wherever i want.

Man i feel for you. bad neighbors can really ruin the day. There are places here that you have to get a permit for everything, Their usually in city limits though.

As a treeworker i have to wear helmet with face/ear protection, safety trousers, gloves, safety shoes with steel toes and anti saw protection. (all Stihl) and when it is really cold like the last days i wear a safety jacket.

Its the law, and for a good reason....

and they say this is a free country? you still pay every year for "your" land, and then someones gonna tell ya you cant cut your own trees?!? are you near waterfront? cause in maine anyways your not alowed to cut a tree with more than a 4' diameter if it is located within 250 feet from the water's edge..

I think you need to move. Sounds like communist government there. I cut trees on my land whenever and wherever i want.

I plan to move to NJ within a few years. Right now I'm living in a 2 family house which I rent out the top floor.

Man i feel for you. bad neighbors can really ruin the day. There are places here that you have to get a permit for everything, Their usually in city limits though.

I'm in the metro area of NYC (Westchester county) and work at LGA airport where I make the big bucks, about 20 mins away.
Couldn't pass up that with great benefits.

and they say this is a free country? you still pay every year for "your" land, and then someones gonna tell ya you cant cut your own trees?!? are you near waterfront? cause in maine anyways your not alowed to cut a tree with more than a 4' diameter if it is located within 250 feet from the water's edge..

Not near any waterfront...never heard of that rule in Maine before :eek:

Speaking of Maine, I'm getting married near Bath, ME in August 2009.

Here in Santa Cruz (city) CA any tree over 14" dbh is considered a heritage tree and can't be cut without a permit. Shrubs, hedges, etc. can also be considered a heritage item and may require a permit. You can not paint your house a color any person objects to. A new roof requires a permit and may mean a reassesment of your property taxes. I have to pay a permit fee to park on the street in front of my house. Oh, well, poor me. I obey the laws and stay away from trouble.

I have had the city arborist visit several jobs I worked on and 2 were shut down. One job required thousands in rehab at the owners expense. The was a eucalytus job BTW! Permits are a way of life in the USA. If you are legal then your neighbor has just wasted his time and yours. Camo used to evade from the law is wrong. Camo worn to hide from your neighbor while running a chainsaw is silly

Does anyone know where I can get a helmet that isn't bright orange or white...kinda sticks out like a sore thumb in the woods.

Chris,

MSA is a large company in the industrial and mining safety business. In addition to their orange combined forestry/tree trimmers kit, they also sell the individual components to be used with their industrial hard hats that come in a wide range of colors and styles (4 or 6 point suspensions, ratchet or fixed suspensions, smooth dome or 'V' guard styles, etc.).

i didn't see camo, but they have a bunch of decorative styles, NFL teams, etc.

My rep spec'd the following part numbers:
Smooth Dome Helmet 10074077 or 10084088 (or other per your choice)
Wire Mesh Visor 476356
Visor Frame 10080783
Chip Arrestor 10080794
Ear Muffs 10061272

They can be ordered through many industrial safety distributors.

http://www.msanorthamerica.com/catalog/catalog504.html

Philbert

In Ruidoso, NM (40 miles from here) they have an ordinance that say's you have to get a permit to cut a tree over (I think) 12" dbh.
At the same time they have an ordinance that say's that if you own property there, you have to thinn it to their city forester's prescription. Talk about money grubber's.
Their forester tried to get me to bid on job's in their town. I said no thank's.
They will only issue 5 or 6 permit's at a time to one person. Can you imagine thinning 3 or 4 acres and having to make 10 trip's to city hall for permit's?

Andy

In Ruidoso, NM (40 miles from here) they have an ordinance that say's you have to get a permit to cut a tree over (I think) 12" dbh.
At the same time they have an ordinance that say's that if you own property there, you have to thinn it to their city forester's prescription. Talk about money grubber's.
Their forester tried to get me to bid on job's in their town. I said no thank's.
They will only issue 5 or 6 permit's at a time to one person. Can you imagine thinning 3 or 4 acres and having to make 10 trip's to city hall for permit's?

Andy

Same thing here. The FD issues a citation to the landowner for not clearing the land of fire hazards and the planning department issues a citation if the land owner does clear.

Here in Santa Cruz (city) CA any tree over 14" dbh is considered a heritage tree and can't be cut without a permit. Shrubs, hedges, etc. can also be considered a heritage item and may require a permit. You can not paint your house a color any person objects to. A new roof requires a permit and may mean a reassesment of your property taxes. I have to pay a permit fee to park on the street in front of my house. Oh, well, poor me. I obey the laws and stay away from trouble.

I have had the city arborist visit several jobs I worked on and 2 were shut down. One job required thousands in rehab at the owners expense. The was a eucalytus job BTW! Permits are a way of life in the USA. If you are legal then your neighbor has just wasted his time and yours. Camo used to evade from the law is wrong. Camo worn to hide from your neighbor while running a chainsaw is silly
now see, no offense to the good people of these two states, but mass and cally need to gate off from the rest of the country, build an underground subway to each other, and keep their retarded liberal tree huggin gun hating politics from tainting the rest of the country.......and i thought we were against communism....

That's not the rule. Read up on the laws for cutting/harvesting within 250' or 100' of water...depends. Part of the law is LURC ( Land Use Regulatory Commission), part are Maine Forestry regs, and part your local town ordinances. There is NO rule about 4' trees, anywhere ( unless someone of us is smoking something funny :blob2: )
We harvest next to water all the time. The reg is basically:" no more than 40% of growth to be cut at any ONE time ", excepting blowdowns of course.
Period.
Maine has some dumb regs, but that "no cutting of 4 footers" is not one of them. Besides, it's rare that 4 footers will grow next to water. Relax. Cut. Enjoy. Have a Maine micro brew ( Bar Harbor Ale is not bad ). Infact, have a few. :rockn:

That's not the rule. Read up on the laws for cutting/harvesting within 250' or 100' of water...depends. Part of the law is LURC ( Land Use Regulatory Commission), part are Maine Forestry regs, and part your local town ordinances. There is NO rule about 4' trees, anywhere ( unless someone of us is smoking something funny :blob2: )
We harvest next to water all the time. The reg is basically:" no more than 40% of growth to be cut at any ONE time ", excepting blowdowns of course.
Period.
Maine has some dumb regs, but that "no cutting of 4 footers" is not one of them. Besides, it's rare that 4 footers will grow next to water. Relax. Cut. Enjoy. Have a Maine micro brew ( Bar Harbor Ale is not bad ). Infact, have a few. :rockn:

i stand corrected, log, this was an ordinance for the town of eliot, the same town where they tax you for having a chicken coup, and make you have a permit for keeping chickens, btw i meant 4 inch diameter trees, you learn something every day, i was helping my friend clear his lot since we couldn't cut alot of it we just started chaining the skid steer bucket to them, ripping them out of the ground, and covering the holes up to get rid of evidence, thanks for the info man, i will get acquainted with the laws so i know what i'm talking about in the future, bar harbor ale is good, i am also a big sea dog fan..........peace..

i stand corrected, log, this was an ordinance for the town of eliot, the same town where they tax you for having a chicken coup, and make you have a permit for keeping chickens, btw i meant 4 inch diameter trees, you learn something every day, i was helping my friend clear his lot since we couldn't cut alot of it we just started chaining the skid steer bucket to them, ripping them out of the ground, and covering the holes up to get rid of evidence, thanks for the info man, i will get acquainted with the laws so i know what i'm talking about in the future, bar harbor ale is good, i am also a big sea dog fan..........peace..

Hey, no offense, but you gotta know that Eliot is "Massachusetts" :popcorn: .
Sorry. Permit for a chicken coup....give us a break. That's pushing it. That's why we live in the real Maine. :givebeer:

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Back