Olympyk, Olympic, Oleo Mac, Emak, Efco, Blitz, Folux, Spartan, Spartacus thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh man its been a while since I have been on here. Well I am glad to say in the meantime my Oly collection has been growling slightly. I so far have a 252, two 254's, and a 264F Deluxe. Also have a 251 Super on the way :). Here is a video of a 254 I got in a pickup truck full of parts saws. Dug that video off my camera. Its been a few years.

Anyone have a source or parts numbers for decals for the old 2xx series saws?

20150205_140740-1.jpg

I am picking up a John Deere CS-36 which I belive is an Efco. I hope so as I have a JD CS-56 and love it.

Any feed back on the smaller 36? Not much info around about it.
I had an older JD CS 40 I think it was. It was a real nice small saw. It reved out real nice and would bury the 14 inch bar without a problem. I traded it for a bag for my walk behind mower and am sort of sorry I did. You don't see them very often.

I just inherited a cs56 (no manual appreciate one if someone can pm it), I've had a hard time finding authorized repairers, and accessories for it like a guide/file etc. it would be nice to have this sub forum made into several forums instead of one forum for several brands.

I've looked but can't find an article on different mods and their purposes (would rally be nice if there were broken into brand specific mods).

Am I just a bad researcher on chainsaws and there are articles about this stuff online?

FYI. All the brands in the title are (were) made by same manufacturer. Some for marketing in US, some in Europe, some in Oz. Just sayin
Of course you are free to start yer own thread if this one doesn't float yer boat

No I didnt realize they were made by the same manufacturer. Makes a little more sense now. I knew that my JD cs56 was made by efco is all. thanks neighbor.
1. What is the ratio for my cs56?

I just went out this morning and started it for the first time. full choke, 5 pull,s half choke, 7 pulls and it started. It hasnt been started in years. I took it out and cut a limb with a non poulan for the first time. What a difference.

It had gas in the tank so I assume it rotted some gaskets or rubber rings in the carb or eslewhere but I couldnt tell it today.

2. I found this page with file/guide part number, what is the difference between a sharpening kit and a file and guide?

3. I'm afraid I will mismeasure my chain- does anyone know the size file I need?

I found 2 950f's the other day in a semi trailer and I was wondering if I could get some info on them. Looking for looks and dislikes and parts availability. Thank you for any help.

I found 2 950f's the other day in a semi trailer and I was wondering if I could get some info on them. Looking for looks and dislikes and parts availability. Thank you for any help.

Coils are NLA for that saw so check that first. When the coils go bad on that saw, They will run like no other for 10 minutes. Then die and not restart till next day. Air cleaners are getting scarce too. Other than that they are good saws. I have 2 of them, and they are equall to most 50 cc saws of today. I like the 945 better though.

There is also some efco impacts in there. Shipping would be a killer but if there is interest let me know

Thanks jerry, The only part I need is the rope pulley P/N 5100984
pulley.jpg

I'll send you a PM

Hi Folks

I`ve been searching for a replacement starter pulley just like the one shown in the photo - part number 5100984 for a friend's old chainsaw. It's missing all the relevant model stickers apart from Oleo Mac one but based on photos of the Oleo's on here and others I`ve come across on the web its an Oleo Mac 350 / 355.
Does anyone know where I could source this type starter pulley or an equivalent replacement, I`m based in the UK.

Thanks for your help,
David

Hi Folks

I`ve been searching for a replacement starter pulley just like the one shown in the photo - part number 5100984 for a friend's old chainsaw. It's missing all the relevant model stickers apart from Oleo Mac one but based on photos of the Oleo's on here and others I`ve come across on the web its an Oleo Mac 350 / 355.
Does anyone know where I could source this type starter pulley or an equivalent replacement, I`m based in the UK.

Thanks for your help,
David
I checked my IPL's and that part is an odd one. My IPL's have 350 and 355 recoils in a little side bar cloud. It looks like that pulley is unique foe those two. At least with the IPL's that I have. May be that part may be on newer saws like a 962 or an earlier Efco.

Also I have had some luck just swapping out an entire recoil from another model. I have a 251 recoil on a 264F. It went together with a little modding and swapping of parts.

I checked my IPL's and that part is an odd one. My IPL's have 350 and 355 recoils in a little side bar cloud. It looks like that pulley is unique foe those two. At least with the IPL's that I have. May be that part may be on newer saws like a 962 or an earlier Efco.

Also I have had some luck just swapping out an entire recoil from another model. I have a 251 recoil on a 264F. It went together with a little modding and swapping of parts.

Hi Vibes

Thanks for your reply and the ideas.

It certainly is a hard part to find, saw some similar ones in terms of the metal ferrule but they differ in diameter and length. Did notice that part number was used in the models in F1 to F8 on Efco IPL 200 - 900 series.

Wondering if I modified the existing one it would get some more usage out of it - the key problem is mainly the hole for tying of the rope at the start is enlarged so the knotted end keeps slipping through. If I drilled out a similar hole 180 to existing one could solve issue - although new one be more ideal for long term.

Have a great day,
David

might try using a small washer between the knot and the pulley. if that don't work your plan sounds feasible. my experience with worn out pulleys has been they wear out on the spindle and hang up rather than retract.

Hi Vibes

I came across an image of the pulley on 251 here http://store.chainsawr.com/products/olympic-251-chainsaw-starter-recoil-cover-and-pulley-asssembly - and wondered if the rope is tied on a specific way compared to other pulleys? - there is a rectangular slot rather than a regular hole. Little puzzled by it - looks like a small metal ferrule on the end of the rope perhaps.

Thanks for the help,
David

Latest posts

Back