Olympyk, Olympic, Oleo Mac, Emak, Efco, Blitz, Folux, Spartan, Spartacus thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top one cleaned up real nice and got it to run. Didn't even have to prime it. Just poured some mix on the tank. The bottom one is what the top one looked like before I cleaned it. This one of just for parts. Has a slightly scored cylinder!

Hi Folks

I`ve been searching for a replacement starter pulley just like the one shown in the photo - part number 5100984 for a friend's old chainsaw. It's missing all the relevant model stickers apart from Oleo Mac one but based on photos of the Oleo's on here and others I`ve come across on the web its an Oleo Mac 350 / 355.
Does anyone know where I could source this type starter pulley or an equivalent replacement, I`m based in the UK.

Thanks for your help,
David

After looking at photos of similar starter assemblies I discovered this type due to the rectangular hole the rope is not knotted at the end (like most other types of pulley) but has a metal ferrule crimped onto the end of the rope - acting as an anchor inside the rectangular slot.

So after struggling to find a new pulley of same type and judging it to be in re-usable condition, I managed to repair the starter assembly by renewing the spring and getting a suitable metal crimp that I attached to the rope end. The biggest pain was rewinding the spring by hand and getting it clicked in place - took a few attempts lol.

cheers,
David

Picked up a new toy! The paint is not an exact match but like the color. I have to still touch up the 284 decal with model paint and clear coat. ( replacements are nowhere to be found)

Before
DSCF3426.JPG

AfterDSCF3428.JPG

I opened up the cottage today and began to put the bar and chain back on my John Deere CS56 (Efco) as I had removed it for winter storage. Try as I might I could not get the chain to move freely with the clutch cover/chain brake fitted. The chain was hard to move and there was a distinct sound of metal rubbing on metal. So frustrated that I tried an 18" and a 20" bar, both of which I used with this saw to good effect. The chain brake is released. All runs smoothly with the clutch cover off or loose.

I don't think I'm missing any parts. Anyway I put it aside to wait for my next trip. My other saws which over wintered there are fine. I left the bars on those two.

I opened up the cottage today and began to put the bar and chain back on my John Deere CS56 (Efco) as I had removed it for winter storage. Try as I might I could not get the chain to move freely with the clutch cover/chain brake fitted. The chain was hard to move and there was a distinct sound of metal rubbing on metal. So frustrated that I tried an 18" and a 20" bar, both of which I used with this saw to good effect. The chain brake is released. All runs smoothly with the clutch cover off or loose.

I don't think I'm missing any parts. Anyway I put it aside to wait for my next trip. My other saws which over wintered there are fine. I left the bars on those two.
you got the guide bar plates on backwards?

The plates on the JD are not loose each one is fixed to it's home, it would hard to put them on incorrectly. But there is certainly rubbing, metal on metal.
Had a chance to get back to the cottage. As far as I can see the chain is not rubbing, but it looks like the chain brake band maybe. It didn't rub last year. So I don't know why it would suddenly start to rub. Yes the brake is off.

Are oleo mac 971 the same bar pattern as the large husqvarna ?

If they are the same mounts as the older Olympyk's they will have 10mm studs with an Oregon pattern of 024

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...980fb87c02a98a5088256e0e001fee75?OpenDocument

The large mount Huskys are 9.5mm studs but match the oiler holes and have the Oregon pattern of 009

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...54f3341de6d0d70b88256e0e001fda90?OpenDocument

I used an Oregon 240RNDD009 .050" 3/8 24" Power Match on my 284 and only had to do a small amount of adjustment with a file.

Hope this helps.

If they are the same mounts as the older Olympyk's they will have 10mm studs with an Oregon pattern of 024

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...980fb87c02a98a5088256e0e001fee75?OpenDocument

The large mount Huskys are 9.5mm studs but match the oiler holes and have the Oregon pattern of 009

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...54f3341de6d0d70b88256e0e001fda90?OpenDocument

I used an Oregon 240RNDD009 .050" 3/8 24" Power Match on my 284 and only had to do a small amount of adjustment with a file.

Hope this helps.

D024 is the correct mount.

D009 actually has 9mm stud slot. Mike Acres has it listed incorrectly. Unfortunatley this error has been pointed out to him numerous times via email, but to no avail.

Oh yeah, I was given my first Olympyk today.
20150705_185229.jpg

D024 is the correct mount.

D009 actually has 9mm stud slot. Mike Acres has it listed incorrectly. Unfortunatley this error has been pointed out to him numerous times via email, but to no avail.

Oh yeah, I was given my first Olympyk today.
View attachment 434235

Nice clean saw! I just realized that about those studs. FYI If you run into a problem with buggered up studs I could not find any NOS anywhere so had to go to the next best thing. Fastenal has 10mm 1.5 stainless hex bolts. I think I used the 70mm length to make new ones along with matching nylon insert nuts. Ran one in put everything together, matched up the length needed with the nut leaving about a 1/16th out of the nut, Removed cut to length, cleaned up, reinstalled with lock tight and voila. The pic above shows the nuts.

https://www.fastenal.com/products?t... Hex Bolts"|~ ~|sattr02:^"Stainless Steel"$|~

The only thing I will have to watch in the future is that the threads where the bar hits will flatten and create a small amount of play. The wiper blade insert metal spacer trick should work if it gets bad enough. From what I have found, most stock replacement bars have a tiny bit of play any way which is fine.

Hi guys. Just picked up an Oleo Mac 945 AF. Saw was in decent condition just needed some major clean up! Tried getting a manual and IPL on the Beg for Manuals thread, but no hits. Can anyone help? I'm having a tuff time finding info on this saw. Thanks

Latest posts

Back