One more "which saw" question....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Bootlegger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Where the Appalachian foothills meet the Bluegrass
I know everyone's burned out on these questions, at least that is what I surmise searching past "which saw" questions. But I found this site while trying to find information for a saw purchase so here goes...

My local tool rental yard offered me a Husky Rancher 455 for $299. I told them I needed to think about it and came home and did an internet search. Mixed reports around the web, but here the consensus is by far to stay away from the Rancher 455 (though other Huskys are very good). Another thing I learned here was to go to a dealer if you don't know anything about saws, particularly servicing. So I checked out my local certified Stihl dealer and he has two saws at my price point. the 270 and 290, both $359. With the 270 I get less weight and a free case, with the 290 I get more power (and its what the dealer recommended).

I have 16 acres of mostly oak, some poplar and hickory. I'll be cleaning up dead fall and sick trees near the house, cutting them for firewood.

So, "which saw"? The 270 or 290? Or, I can get an Echo at my local box store.

Last edited:
For 16 acres you might want to step up to a pro saw. A Stihl ms361/ Husky357xp/Johnny 2159.

That 290/455 might do you well but sounds like you will be doing alot of cutting. Defintely go to a dealer if you will need their support.

I have to spend less than $400. I know everyone likes the Stihl 361, so does my dealer, but I just can't afford it. I can find the Husky 359 for $420 on the internet, but the nearest dealer is more than an hour from here (or so the Stihl dealer says).

Go with the 270/290 then. I believe the 270 is built better and does weigh less..Good saws for their purpose. Get some files/Stihl oil(s) and you should be ready to cut.

I know everyone's burned out on these questions, at least that is what I surmise searching past "which saw" questions. But I found this site while trying to find information for a saw purchase so here goes...

My local tool rental yard offered me a Husky Rancher 455 for $299. I told them I needed to think about it and came home and did an internet search. Mixed reports around the web, but here the consensus is by far to stay away from the Rancher 455 (though other Huskys are very good). Another thing I learned here was to go to a dealer if you don't know anything about saws, particularly servicing. So I checked out my local certified Stihl dealer and he has two saws at my price point. the 270 and 290, both $359. With the 270 I get less weight and a free case, with the 290 I get more power (and its what the dealer recommended).

I have 16 acres of mostly oak, some poplar and hickory. I'll be cleaning up dead fall and sick trees near the house, cutting them for firewood.

Welcome, the 270 is 1/4 hp less than the 290 but with a higher rpm. In the wood it will cut with the 290. I do like my 270 and it is a lot lighter with less vibration than the 290.
Stay away from the boxstore if possible.

HANG ON KIDS!!!!!

How big of wood are we talkin? How much are you realisticly going to cut? Once a week? Once a month? Five hours a day? Give us an idea.

You couldn't shove a 455, well, you couldn't give me one. I do however LOVE the 350's, and it' way under you're budget.But, is it enough saw?

Where does some PPE fall in your budget?, or maybe you already have that covered, but some steel toed boots, chaps, and a helmet system are going to run you about $150, but it will help against those razor sharp chains after you get done filing at the stump or on your workbench. Files and learning how to sharpen are in the budget to right?, sending them out gets expensive real fast, especially when you figure in the gas money and time for the drop-off/pick-up trip.

Can you get some PPE, and rent a saw until you save up some more pennies, are you handy?, maybe a used saw will work, there are some for sale in the trading post section of AS.

Do you have a cutting partner?, that is quite a space to work alone in the event of an accident.

I don't have any time on the saws you are describing, so I'll cover the safety aspect.

Enjoy the saw you buy, try the Stihls out in some wood at the dealer, see what you are getting into a little.:greenchainsaw:

Welcome to AS.

Dr. Bootlegger, does your dealer have any MS280's? They cost right around $400 in my area. They have a tad more power then the MS270 while weighing about the same. I'm not knocking the MS290, but I'd take a MS280 (or a MS270) instead. Good luck! ;)

I'm by no means an expert on anything saw related but I do have a 455 rancher and my buddies MS290 here at my place and have used them both. The 455 rancher I'm not real fond of but would take it over a MS290 any day. The 290 has an 18" bar and the 455 has a 20" and the 455 will cut circles around his (My friends) 290 all day long. However I did get rid of the safety chain that came with the saw for a semi chisel chain and that made a world of difference. If I were you I'd go to a saw shop and buy a good used saw that's a pro grade saw that fits your budget and that way you will have a good enough saw to clear 16 acres or whatever it was. Just my 2c.

I know everyone's burned out on these questions, at least that is what I surmise searching past "which saw" questions.

*I like "which saw" questions.:cheers: We have to grumble about them around here, just to keep up appearances, ya know. :)

My local tool rental yard offered me a Husky Rancher 455 for $299.

*That's too much for a rental Husky 455 (assuming you want it.)

So I checked out my local certified Stihl dealer and he has two saws at my price point. the 270 and 290, both $359. With the 270 I get less weight and a free case, with the 290 I get more power (and its what the dealer recommended).

* Go with the 270 over the 290

*A friend of mine has a 270 and a 390, he uses both of them a lot, they've seen much hard use cleaning property, firewood, stuff like that. They may not be "pro" saws, but his have lasted through years of heavy use.

*270 over the 290.
Have fun.
Mitch

Hi,

a friend of mine works since many years with the 290. Another friend has the 270. Both says the saws are unbreakable. Ask yourself where is the next dealer and is his service good. Than you have to trust him (or not).

Roteiche

Husqvarna 238 SE
Solo 651
Stihl FS 420

Dr. Bootlegger, does your dealer have any MS280's? They cost right around $400 in my area. They have a tad more power then the MS270 while weighing about the same. I'm not knocking the MS290, but I'd take a MS280 (or a MS270) instead. Good luck! ;)

Yes, no doubt about that.......;)

The 'which saw to buy on $xxx.xx budget' question has been asked and answered HUNDREDS of times over.

The 359 can be made into a respectable machine, but plan on $500 when all is said and done. $420 internet price + $20 S&H + $20 for an extra chain and file/guides + $40 for a non-cat muffler.

The 5100 Dolmar can be had for under $400 new, and is all grins right out of the box. I don't think any would argue that it is the best saw on the market in regards to 'bang for your buck'.

A used saw is another alternative...and perhaps the best for someone looking for a lot of saw for little money.

I can't believe I was suckered into responding...:bang:

Thanks all, for taking the time to answer my newbie questions.

To respond to some of your questions...
The deadfalll is all less than 18 inches, but I have some trees on the property that are well over 30. I don't plan to take any of these large trees unless they show signs of disease and are near the house. I figure one weekend day's use per month on average.

I am planning to buy some safety gear. I have the gloves, boots and goggles, I'm going for some chaps and some ear protection. Plus I'll get the sharpening tools.

It sounds like the 270 over the 290. I'm also going to look into some of the other brands recommended and see if there is dealer service nearby.

Thanks again, I'll be back to let you know how it goes.

..... The 359 can be made into a respectable machine, but plan on $500 when all is said and done. $420 internet price + $20 S&H + $20 for an extra chain and file/guides + $40 for a non-cat muffler.

The 5100 Dolmar can be had for under $400 new, and is all grins right out of the box. I don't think any would argue that it is the best saw on the market in regards to 'bang for your buck'. ...

Both very good points - the best alternative looks like the Dolmar 5100S, if there isn't a dealer/support problem.....

....I took my chances and bought one from the US, but then we have several other saws - so we are not dependant on that single one.

Last edited:
Canadian pricing

These which saws discussions are great!! It's like window shopping with 18 of your most opinionated friends :) :confused: :confused: :confused: :)

FYI, in my neck of the woods the MS290 has an MSRP of $500, on promo right now for $450 while the MS270 is $550 MSRP, $530 promo. Both saws come with the "woodpro" kit.

I was thinking of picking up a 290 but the old xl76 is back to life (for $75, coil module) and now, if I did buy a new saw, it may be the Dolmar 5100 except there are no dealers in my area. 1/2 hp more and a little less weight!!

PS> no flames pelase, I'm not comparing the xl76 to the Stihls and Dolmar mentioned above, she's just all I got right now and I love her loud ways dearly...

I would go with a 359 over a 290. About the same bucks Cdn and the 359 is much closer to being built as a pro saw. It is same saw as the 357xp save the jug, piston. Husky 359 is more on par with the stihl 390 power wise.

If I was going to go stihl I would go 390 as opposed to 290, same saw (weigth and feel) except bigger bore. Even at that I find it kind of heavy for the power, more weight than ideal for cleaning up small stuff.

Other than that stihl 260 and Husky 346xp make nice light weight options. 346 is a bit quicker out of the box, but 260 is no slouch with the muffle opened up. 5100 is fast and quite a bit less money but in general dealer support is not near as availible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back