One saw plan: cc's, length & weight suggestions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If not doing too much real big stuff or real small stuff I'll compound the 60CC vote: 361!

But a good 50 [260 in Stihl]here may be just as well . That does leave options open each direction later, but I'm happy with the 361 for antiCAD: just can't justify a 70CC, and certainly don't need 80 for my stuff. I do nab my wife's 200 often enough though for small stuff, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite on antiCAD.

Im gonna be the oddball and still say a 70cc saw would be a smarter buy. Yea, 70cc for 8" wood is overkill, but too much is better than not enough in my book. Stick that 260 in 24" wood all day and you will wish you had bought a 440. If I had to sell all my saws but 1, I would keep a 70cc saw. Just my .02

One saw plan? You mean like the guy is only going to own one chainsaw? Just one single saw all by itself? I don't get it. :cheers:

Im gonna be the oddball and still say a 70cc saw would be a smarter buy. Yea, 70cc for 8" wood is overkill, but too much is better than not enough in my book. Stick that 260 in 24" wood all day and you will wish you had bought a 440. If I had to sell all my saws but 1, I would keep a 70cc saw. Just my .02

+1 my one saw plan was the 460 and 20in and 28 in bars then add a 260 with 16 in bar! for kicks I put the 16in bar on the 460 WOW what a blast:cheers:

Any of the 70cc saws...

...if you get a 60cc saw... you will soon be wanting a 70cc saw... trust me. There aren't many cuttin' situations out there anymore that a good 70cc saw can't handle.

Gary

Best "all around/Do all/One saw plan" has got to be 60cc saw with a 20" bar. ;)

....... you can thank me later. :laugh:
:cheers:

When I finally had an excuse to get back into saws, my one saw plan was a used Husky 61 with a 20" bar (about $300 including the new bar and chain, and the saw is in fantastic shape). Great saw, great plan.

That was 6 months ago...now I have a 141 with a 16" bar, and a Stihl 076 super with a 28" bar. The Granberg mill and 42" bar for the Stihl just arrived. So did the 272 P&C that is going on the 61...I need that because there was a great deal on 28" GB bars (thanks Black Cat Bone). In addition to the ripping chain for the 42" bar, I got square ground chain for both the 28" bar for the Husky (semi-skip) and the 42" bar (full skip). The rim and drum sets for all 3 are on backorder, but the Walbro kits for the used non-EPA carbs for the 141 came in...with the tach. Did I mention the spare mufflers because I want to try 2 different kinds of mods?

Good luck with the 1 saw plan...Joat will provide you with the number for his pretty nurse.

Any of the 70cc saws...

...if you get a 60cc saw... you will soon be wanting a 70cc saw... trust me.
Gary

Can't remember where the OP was from, but in SD there's a pretty girl behind every large tree ...... :cry:

Can't remember where the OP was from, but in SD there's a pretty girl behind every large tree ...... :cry:

I thought it would be more like Nebraska where there is a large girl behind every pretty tree...

Man, you are right about that (the girls), Edisto! Corn-fed does not do it justice. There are some fine ones, too, though.

I love my 60cc class saws and they are all I need for what I do. I also really like my little 260, as it is light and easy to start. If I had to start over again, I think it would be the 50cc and the 70 cc.

The factors that have to be considered are the saw weight (important for me because I am not getting any younger), the wood size, and how much money you want to spend.

My problem is that my saws are getting like rifles in that it is not a question of wanting another one, but a question of being able to JUSTIFY another one. My wife already thinks that I am WAY maxed on both!!:buttkick:

I thought it would be more like Nebraska where there is a large girl behind every pretty tree...

I'm not sure if that's better or worse! We just plain don't have that many huge trees or pretty women. I am afraid however, like NE, the average diameter of our women likely exceeds that of our trees. :dizzy:

I know an one saw plan is not typical for the folks on this site, however, I have not contracted CAD quite yet, and am looking to purchase one saw. I know give me some time, I will come around. I have tried some searches but mostly find two, three and multiple saw plans. I was wondering what does everyone think is the best size for an all around saw in terms of cc's, bar length and weight. I would need it for multi-use; felling, limbing and blocking. I hope this does not into a brand war, but specific suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your replies!

Jay.

Impossible to answer really, but it "smells" MS361 with 16" and 20" bars.........

Thats exactly what I was getting at SawTroll. A 60cc saw can limb and buck and be damned good at doing both in teh size of wood the OP needs to cut.

Impossible to answer really, but it "smells" MS361 with 16" and 20" bars.........

Niko,

Like gravity. Q. Which saw ........ A. 361

I really pity the future when a whole group of today's children become adults and have "issues" because their dad loved his 361 more than them.

dr. joat

My favorite AS questions and answers:

Q: I need a new saw, do you recommend one?
A: 361

Q: I want opinions on a Husky 359, anyone have some?

Q: I am looking for a 50cc saw, what's a good one?

Q: What is the best trimmer for a homeowner?

Q: How do I cut this tree down?

Q: What is the square root of pi?

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

Pretty nurse,

Kindly schedule dr. joat for a "session" because he now agrees with young Lead.

dr. joat

Latest posts

Back