Only One Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of my collection it would have to be my DN MS440. I don't know if mines a freak or an aberration but, it just screams. I usually run a
20" but it can pull a 28" just fine. It's relatively light and can handle 90%+ of what ever I need to do.
Jay

You mean to say that the Husky in that size has an outboard clutch? Eeeeeeeeeee.... one reason I stayed away from the smaller Huskies is the outboard clutch. Same with the smaller Dolmars. The Echos have that setup, and it makes chain swapping and cleaning a hassle. Too much black sawdust crap to deal with and more loose parts under the clutch cover.

And less heat that gets trapped...:hmm3grin2orange:

I cut a few cookies with a friends hardly used 440 (20" B&C) with a sharp chain (not sure what type of wood - seasoned oak log I think, about 16") and I loved it (can't wait to get my 044 done)! The saw felt light and nimble. According to Stihl's specs, the 460 isn't much heavier. So even though I've never ran one, a do-it-all saw for me, here down south cutting on Oaks and other hardwood would be a 460/046. If/when I move back to Canada, from what I can remember of the size of trees, I think a 360/036 or 361 would be the saw.

Kevin

There is no way I could only have one saw,I need a small saw to climb with,and a big saw for felling,bucking and limbing.....If I could only have one of each,I guess it would be a MS200T,and either a MS660 or a 395 Husky.

I survived for years with only my Jonsered 525 and cut anything that came along. Still have the saw and still love it. In the past couple of years I've been cutting much more wood much more often and have aquired a few more saws thanks to you dolts. For argument-sake I'd love to say the MS290 but I won't.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with a bunch of you here...my MS460 It'll simply cut anything that comes along east of the Rockies.

jim

I don't think it is possible to have TOO many saws. Nope, not possible.:hmm3grin2orange: ;) :laugh: :D :biggrinbounce2:

Saws are kinda like guns - a different one for every job - you can't have too many.
Finnbear-Celebrating the Second Amendment one fine firearm at at time!

Sling'r,

You're right on the nut about the 24" bar and the 660. I was understating her capabilities for laughs. The 36" bar is great for hard or soft woods. I'm not doing much outright falling, mostly bucking and stumping for tree removals and some outsized firewood cutting. My buddies keep going after the small wood and I just go right to the heart of the matter. Fills the truck up faster!

660 firewood saw???

So you are calling the 660 a firewood saw? Man, that's like some guys here on AS calling my 460 a homeowner saw... 'course they wrote it in the context of our having 80 acres of big trees :hmm3grin2orange:

Oddly there seem to be a lot of 650 and 660 Stihl saws on Ebay right now. Some good looking ones at that. Cannot see my ever needing one though. The 460 could cut anything standing here. Even shrimpy stumps! Heh heh heh... :cheers:

BTW: my girlfriend says to say that 'her' MS210 is the best saw. I bought the saw... and now it has become hers. :cry:

Only one?

My crosscut. Because if I only have one saw, it must be the end of the world and we will probably run out of gas.

So you are calling the 660 a firewood saw? Man, that's like some guys here on AS calling my 460 a homeowner saw... 'course they wrote it in the context of our having 80 acres of big trees

Yeah kinda silly huh?:hmm3grin2orange: Actually, I did a few tree jobs to help some friends out a few years back. They keep telling all their friends about me.... I started charging, since I didn't know these other folks. Seems they liked my work and I keep getting referrals :blob2: ... sorta turned into a side business. I'm getting more referrals than I can keep up with :rockn: . The jobs keep me in firewood and have paid for a bunch of climbing gear, my ms200T, and a trip to visit the inlaws in the mid-west:bang: . Got some BIG trees to cut down on the next two jobs :blob2: and figured I'd just use that as an excuse to get the 660:heart: . Sorry for the long answer but I will probably use the saw more for firewood than anything else. Don't get me wrong the 036 is great but I love to get the bigger stuff and there is plenty of it around here, not to mention making quicker work out of everything. Best thing is, I've got the biggest saw on the woodpile. :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsaw:

This is a intereasting thread,
I made a statement about owning one saw and this thread proves me to be right. 357 or 361 on up is the norm.

Back