Opinions on value of 2 year old MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My story is called: Marc getting the short end again, or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the 290 instead of the 260

So anyway, my old man bought a 290 a couple years ago, against my better advice. He like the price to power ratio of the 290, and I think that's what ultimately influenced his decision.

Two years later, he breaks it to me: he is not a fan of the weight. Now my memory isn't stellar but I seem to remember telling him to take a close look at the 260. I'd heard nothing but good things about it, and would be perfect for cutting the ~5 cords a year he burns. So he's been talking to his local Stihl dealer about the 260, and I'm also advising him now to look at the 280. I honestly think he misses cutting with his old 024 Woodboss AV.

Anyway, since he'll be getting a new saw he's offered to give me a good deal on the 290, which I'll take because I'm young, cheap and need a good saw. I think he's sick of me borrowing his anyway. Isn't that wonderful; I've been pining after a 260 for a couple years now and I'll end up with the 290. :)

So two winters of cutting ~5 cords of hardwood, what is your estimate of the 'fair market' value of this saw...? (It's been well maintained, not abused, and still works like new).

might depend...

Marc - that might depend on the bar length, I would settle for a 18" but really would want the 20" bar. Looking at eBay good used ones sell for $275 - $300. Sometimes I use the eBay 'completed listings' to get rough used values on such items, you got to figure these people are also paying the shipping.

I would not mind being in your situation, you know the history, etc. I would like to upgrade my 029 with a 290 if the right deal came around. Good luck in what ever you do.....

Marc - that might depend on the bar length, I would settle for a 18" but really would want the 20" bar. Looking at eBay good used ones sell for $275 - $300. Sometimes I use the eBay 'completed listings' to get rough used values on such items, you got to figure these people are also paying the shipping.

I would not mind being in your situation, you know the history, etc. I would like to upgrade my 029 with a 290 if the right deal came around. Good luck in what ever you do.....

Thanks iCreek. That's one thing I didn't mention. The 290 has a 16" bar and chain, however my father likes the shorter bar because he has an easier time keeping track of it.

I personally prefer 18 - 20" (obviously as long as the saw is sized for it) and not bending over quite so much, but to each his own.

As a concession to me, he's offered to buy his new saw with the bar & chain length of my choice, and swapping the 16" bar with me.

The first figure we talked was $250... so that with a new 18 or 20" bar and chain is probably a pretty good deal then, obviously with the "good son" discount included :D

anchor-rope.jpg

:biggrinbounce2:

I bought my MS290 for $250 with a 18in bar and new chain. They are $350 new so I think I did ok. Sounds like a deal to me.

I think $250 is a great deal on that saw. You know what you're getting and you'll be getting a brand new bar and chain to boot.

I just checked current pricing on the MS290 at my dealer:

$369 w/18"
$379 w/20"

God bless,
Chris

I just sold my very well card for 11 year old 029 for $ 275 on Craigs List. I had the original chain and one extra used chain that had both been sharpened about twice and a brand new chain (3 total) and a new spare air filter. I also included a gallon jug of mix, a partial jug of bar oil, and a chain filing kit - so I guess you could actually say the saw brought about $ 225.

I felt very fortunate to have gotten $ 275 for the package - it was a very nice saw and cosmetically and mechanically it was almost new except for the paint missing from the bar. I had cut a lot of wood with it - but it was never abused and always stored inside and kept clean. There are so many 029/290 saws for sale I felt the competition was pretty tough - however seldom does a nice Stihl show up on the local Craigslist. Unlike eBay the fellow could come over and we went out and cut some wood with it. The saw worked great for me and I really never noticed the excess weight - until I felt I needed a different saw for cutting lots more wood and got a 361.

Well, the latest development was I'll get the saw for $250 plus he'll forgive the $80 debt I have to him and keep forgetting to pay. With that, I know it's a good deal.

And Lignum, no offense intended toward Husky at all, but I get the feeling that probably the Stihl name keeps the resale on their saws inflated. My father had been using an older 024 Woodboss AV (I mentioned above) that was probably 15-20 years old and still got $150 for it on trade in when he bought the 290.

Well, if I understand right, the 290 is an old design, but supposedly very reliable. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

Well, the latest development was I'll get the saw for $250 plus he'll forgive the $80 debt I have to him and keep forgetting to pay. With that, I know it's a good deal.

And Lignum, no offense intended toward Husky at all, but I get the feeling that probably the Stihl name keeps the resale on their saws inflated. My father had been using an older 024 Woodboss AV (I mentioned above) that was probably 15-20 years old and still got $150 for it on trade in when he bought the 290.

Well, if I understand right, the 290 is an old design, but supposedly very reliable. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

No offense taken at all, and bully to your logic, that is precisely why I sold the 455, and not my 028 super. ;)

Back