Opinions Please--new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you saying that the 3 I mentioned are too heavy? I don't care what everyone else has, just looking for reliable, good service and not too much over kill.
Both local stores will provide excellent service, etc.--so I've got that.
None of the places I've been sell Dolmar and I like to put my hands on tools I'm not familiar with before spending dollars, considering I'll live with it for a while.
It seems that way too many folks like all of these big names for there to be too many 'dogs'.
Ain't it so?

extra power, loss of weight, all help. why be fatigued by a big lump with less power than the smaller saw, and you are paying more just for the name, or to have what every one else has. Those big heavy lumps are most likely shelf stuffers, or once a month "cookie cutters". Take a look at the 5100, great saw for a great price. I have had mine not that long (have had dolmar saws for years) but consider it a real good all around saw, a lot of other people seem to like it also.

Thanks guys. I may very well go with the 270 or 280. What's up with the 280 C barbeque version?
The money saved will go toward a new trimmer for the wife and save additional wear and tear on meself.

Yes, they'll last every bit as long. Keep 'em cleaned and adjusted, common sense stuff. Your grandkids will inherit them and still use them.

I say the 455 with a 18" bar I saw a bunch of them at a country true value by me today for 319. + tax that is a deal. And a decent saw.

That would be a great deal. I thought that Husky fixed their prices.

I say the 455 with a 18" bar I saw a bunch of them at a country true value by me today for 319. + tax that is a deal. And a decent saw.

That would be a great deal. I thought that Husky fixed their prices.

Yeah me too it is True Value in Nassau NY I asked him about the price he said he bought a whole pallet of them. That is how he can sell them so cheap. $319. + Tax WOW

the 5100 is a very nice saw: light, powerful and close to $100 cheaper. i have three of their larger saws. i don't think you will be disappointed with the german quality build and parts are available on-line.

of the saws you mentioned i would choose the 310, although you technically didn't mention it, we did. it is a slight step up in power without a huge jump in money. if you care to get more out of it, i can walk you through a simple, i do mean simple (30 minute tops) muffler modification that will get you close to a .5hp gain.

don't get too caught up in the siren's song of "you need a pro saw." from your description of your intended use, either of these two will last you many, many, many years.

290, though I agree with other posts that there are better models to consider. The 270/280 is a modern design with improved AV, but the 310 will give you more power for the same weight. Even better is the 390 as the 290/310/390 weigh the same. Spend as much as you can afford; you won't regret it.

i think the 270 cost within a few bucks of the 310.

Based on your criteria, I would seriously consider the MS260.

It would help a lot to know what tree size you are going to be cutting (not necessarily the absolute maximum, but the 80% max).

While I am extremely fond of my 270, the 260 is lighter which you list as very desirable, and its almost as powerful (you didn't want max power).

The MS280 gets you a bit more power, but weighs the same as a 270.

All those saws will last 20 years of cutting. They are also the latest generation of the anti virbration, and virbration and poor erconmoics is what causes the worst fatigue, not weight (up to a point of course).

Stihl anti vibe has turned it into literally a zero issue. Even after a full day on the woodpile, I feel absolutely NO affects from it, arms are fine, though the rest of me is worn out.

OK--the thing is. I have a fixed amount to spend and do not want to go over $400 much, if at all.
It appears that the 270 and 280 is more $ than the 290. Who wooda thunk.
The biggest tree that I would attempt these days is 18", but most will be well under that. The median around 10" or so I reckon.
I can't 'top' a tree, so that limits any reasonable fell.
My only concern with the Husky's is that plastic switch that sticks out just waiting for something to bust it off. And it seems way too complicated for such a simple set of operations. I can't imagine what those engineers were sampling that day.
Some of you guys have mentioned the 'dealer' as a prime decider. I couldn't agree more. The two in town that I trust completely to give me excellent service and unquestioned expertise carry:
Husky
Jonsered
Echo
Stihl

One guy, when I told him that I was considering the 450 and 455 immediately said, "if you are thinking of those two than buy this MS290...it will out cut either all day and is cheaper too."

My only concern, is that it is a pound and more heavier than the others.

look on this site for the wildthing review that was posted in the last day or two
it received an excellent review covering all aspects of cutting and safety
it was an impressive review!

My only concern, is that it is a pound and more heavier than the others.

Is that pound really going to matter??? Just take more breaks :cheers:

I would go with a proven 260 or 028 (see classifieds) with 16in bar. You can pick them up rebuilt for around $250 and that would save cash for PPE that you need.

Brian

Latest posts

Back