Opinions Please--new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read it.
You're a funny guy...whaddaya trying to lead an idiot astray or sumthin?

look on this site for the wildthing review that was posted in the last day or two
it received an excellent review covering all aspects of cutting and safety
it was an impressive review!

Actually--that was my thought, too. More breaks. Heck I don't have to be in a hurry any more, anyway.
Who am I gonna buy a 'used' saw from?
I don't know these things well enough for that...now a flat top guitar--that would be different.

Is that pound really going to matter??? Just take more breaks :cheers:

I would go with a proven 260 or 028 (see classifieds) with 16in bar. You can pick them up rebuilt for around $250 and that would save cash for PPE that you need.

Brian

For those that have been on this site for awhile you get to know folks and the regular members will stand behind their item. I don't use a saw enough to justify a new one so a nice used unit works for me. I just mentioned the 028 in the classifieds becasue it is a proven design, easy to work on (with help here for sure) and lots of them are out there. Nothing flashy they just get the job done.

Brian

What I'd recommend is going to look at the saws in person, handle them, and see what feels the best in your hands. How a saw feels to you is way more important than a small weight or power difference. Except for the Wild Thing, all the saws mentioned to you will easily do what you are needing to do and are all good saws. Just because a saw is a little lighter or a little cheaper sure doesn't mean you'll like the way it runs. I'd pick the one that feels the most comfortable in your hands, because you are gonna be the one putting the hours on it.

Thanks Brian--I have handled all of these saws.
As far as that goes, they all feel and balance plenty good.
Not enough difference to amount to a hill of beans over time.
I can feel the weight difference, but I'd adapt and its not like I have to go all day and get X amount done or money lost.

At this point, maybe it would be good to get some feedback on the 'ease of maintenance'. Are they pretty much all the same?

Thanks

What I'd recommend is going to look at the saws in person, handle them, and see what feels the best in your hands. How a saw feels to you is way more important than a small weight or power difference. Except for the Wild Thing, all the saws mentioned to you will easily do what you are needing to do and are all good saws. Just because a saw is a little lighter or a little cheaper sure doesn't mean you'll like the way it runs. I'd pick the one that feels the most comfortable in your hands, because you are gonna be the one putting the hours on it.

Thanks Brian--I have handled all of these saws.
As far as that goes, they all feel and balance plenty good.
Not enough difference to amount to a hill of beans over time.
I can feel the weight difference, but I'd adapt and its not like I have to go all day and get X amount done or money lost.

At this point, maybe it would be good to get some feedback on the 'ease of maintenance'. Are they pretty much all the same?

Thanks

Myself, I prefer saws with inboard clutches, makes changing sprockets easier. I think some of the smaller huskies run an outboard clutch (don't know on the other brands) It's really no big deal either way, just a opinion kind of thing.

Other than that, maintenance is about the same on all of them. Some will run longer between air filter cleanings, but since it only takes a few seconds to blow a filter out, it's not a factor to me anyway.

Thanks, Brian.
Well, it seems that there is no compelling reasons in any direction, except one comment against Echo. The Echo is and extra $40, anyway.
The 455 is $30 more than either the 290 or the 450, which are the same price.
Since I don't like the switch on the Husky and the local dealer says the 290 will out cut it anywho--I reckon at this point, I'm still leaning toward the Stihl MS 290. Lots of positive experience from you guys with both Husky and Stihl, so I don't suppose I could go wrong either way.
Thank you all very much for taking the time to comment.

Myself, I prefer saws with inboard clutches, makes changing sprockets easier. I think some of the smaller huskies run an outboard clutch (don't know on the other brands) It's really no big deal either way, just a opinion kind of thing.

Other than that, maintenance is about the same on all of them. Some will run longer between air filter cleanings, but since it only takes a few seconds to blow a filter out, it's not a factor to me anyway.

This saw is not on your list and cost-wise is above what you intended to spend. I would strongly recommend the 346XP NE and never look back. See if your dealer has a demo saw for you to try out. BTW, can't say that I have ever heard of anyone breaking a control lever off of a Husky just by using it.

And do not ever loan your saw out. That is Rule #1.

A real nice saw--that 346XP, but more than I can spend.
I once loaned a chainsaw out and got it back with oil in the gas tank and gas leaking out of the oil reservoir.

This saw is not on your list and cost-wise is above what you intended to spend. I would strongly recommend the 346XP NE and never look back. See if your dealer has a demo saw for you to try out. BTW, can't say that I have ever heard of anyone breaking a control lever off of a Husky just by using it.

And do not ever loan your saw out. That is Rule #1.

What is 'two-stroke' oil?

John,

I'm still new here myself... This is one place that my reputation has not preceeded me (thankfully)!

Do what I'm doing... Get a 372XPW, send it to someone who knows what they're doing for porting, mod the muffler... and most important... settle on which two stroke oil you're going to use for the mix!

There is a world of difference!

P.S. Seriously, you'll get some good advice here..:)

I say take a look at a 2159, if you like the way the little Mac felt with the handle angle and controls you will like a 2159 except it has twice the Jam and three times when modded but then it's much larger in the cc dept too and it's way smoother. I make No bones about I am a Jred head! Like the strait handle more and do have a great local dealer.

Im with you bro...Im all a 160LB and 5 10'. I run with my Stihl 250 because it is so freaking light. I would hate to run that 13 LB 290 because I think tired people make mistakes. I'm not recommending a 250 for your job, but I'm with you that the weight would be considerable.
I would suggest to pick up a great lightly used Husky or Stihl 260 in the 50 cc class or spend a little more money for something new.
Whatever you buy...YOU NEED A DEALER. I'm in my dealers store frequently with questions or extra stuff(chains, bars, etc)
Good luck!

Yea--After the way my elbow feels the last cupla days I'm rethinking the weight thing. If I could squeeze a few more bucks from the coffer and get that 346xp, I'd save nearly 2 lbs and really be in good shape. Might even have so much fun I'd cut some extra firewood to sell and make a buck.
:)
It would mean buying chaps in a week or two, but perhaps this is a better plan overall.
You guys and this site are dangerous to my TAS. (tool acquisition syndrome)

Now you got me wanting one too John. It's a good thing I don't have any money and it's a good thing I just bought my new 345 last spring and I'm really happy with it. It's good enough to get me my three cord a year anyway and it's in the 10 lb range. I will dream of a 346exp someday.... but as long as my amateur homeowner saw keeps doing the job this well, I'll stay put. I looked at the Ruger hawkeye in .358 Win today. About the same price as a 346exp but I don't need one of those either. I'm still splitting my wood with a maul so I think my prirorites may be screwed up!

Last edited:
Lee--I'd say that your priorities are perfectly ordered.
I've always been crazy with tools, having made my living with them. Can you say 'guitar'?
:)
Those Hawkeye's are sweet...where did you see it?
The bucks for the saw came from the 'oil company'--sort of-- and gonna be used to prevent giving them more money. This has a symmetry
that I like.
Hey maybe when Toni heads to VA to see her folks, I'll come up to visit and bring the new saw and cut a log or two for ya for a few fingers of 'Dew'.

Now you got me wanting one too John. It's a good thing I don't have any money and it's a good thing I just bought my new 345 last spring and I'm really happy with it. It's good enough to get me my three cord a year anyway and it's in the 10 lb range. I will dream of a 346exp someday.... but as long as my amateur homeowner saw keeps doing the job this well, I'll stay put. I looked at the Ruger hawkeye in .358 Win today. About the same price as a 346exp but I don't need one of those either. I'm still splitting my wood with a maul so I think my prirorites may be screwed up!

Im with you bro...Im all a 160LB and 5 10'. I run with my Stihl 250 because it is so freaking light. I would hate to run that 13 LB 290 because I think tired people make mistakes. I'm not recommending a 250 for your job, but I'm with you that the weight would be considerable.
I would suggest to pick up a great lightly used Husky or Stihl 260 in the 50 cc class or spend a little more money for something new.
Whatever you buy...YOU NEED A DEALER. I'm in my dealers store frequently with questions or extra stuff(chains, bars, etc)
Good luck!

Better watch it spring , your starting to say that word more often (HUSKY)!!

Youll have one before long!:cheers:

Alright--Sorry guys, but I feel like a yo-yo and its mostly your fault.
Having re-thought the weight thing. And don't tell me it will just make me stronger.

I'm comparing two saws again. One from the best and one from the wanna be best.

Husky 346xp (not the E just regular)
Stihl MS 260

Whaddayathink?

Alright--Sorry guys, but I feel like a yo-yo and its mostly your fault.
Having re-thought the weight thing. And don't tell me it will just make me stronger.

I'm comparing two saws again. One from the best and one from the wanna be best.

Husky 346xp (not the E just regular)
Stihl MS 260

Whaddayathink?

346xp, by a large margin!

Not the 290 or the 455!

450, alot nicer than than 290 or 455 both heavy and under powered!

Gotta go with troll on this one , dont like the 290 at all and my 455 was a pig , the 350 would cut just as good and not so heavy and bulky!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back