Osage Orange down in yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We had a big storm come through our area (so did everyone else in this part of the country). My partner had a huge osage orange tree come down in his yard. Fortunately, no property was damaged, but he has the delimma of cleaning up this mess.

The OO was a multi stem monster, and all but 1 of the stems has fallen.

We have heard several claims today about the wood, and would like to check those claims against what you guys say.

Claim #1 - OO wood is so valuable that people will come take it from you for free. Never pay to have an OO tree removed.

Claim #2 - An OO tree's growth pattern is very persistent. When a tree knocks over, many more will sprout up around it. It is very difficult to get rid of an OO tree.

it does make great firewood but you would still have to pay for brush removal maybe more than some trees because brush is thorny run a craigslist ad sure the wood should be gone in if days .Not sure about the stump spourting but that seems like it might be true also .

I don't envey you!!! That must have been some storm!!! I have NEVER seen an OO (Hedge) tree on a blowdown, they are a VERY durable hardy tree!

OK, to you're questions.
OO is the highest BTU of aout any wood, you may be able to get a firewood cutter to come in and clean it up for the wood. But if it's the mess I think it is, forget that.
Other than that, it has no real value that I am aware of.

OO is VERY hardy and persistant!!! The reason you have so many codomes is because of this. Several trees will grow together and create one large tree, making it very difficult at times to fall it.
Yes, it will sprout, and will sprout about anywhere the roots are within an inch of the top of the soil. Easy enough to take care of if you mow or brushhog regularly in the area.
If you are thinking of a growing a replacement, be paitent! They are slow growers!!

They will probably have to pay to have the rest of the tree dropped, and the brush hauled away, unless they do that themselves, but they should not have to pay to have the wood hauled off unless they want it done yesterday.

Like Hoot said ,they sell alot of it (OO blanks)to make handmade bows out of, I want to say its the same as what we used to call "horse apple" back in Okla, a yellow green wood, if you make something out of it ,it will still be around in a 100 yrs. or so. If anybody in your area does custom wood work ,might be worth letting them know....

Tobync

Most people call em hedge trees around here . And some people claim the hedge balls or horse apples are good for keeping the insects away. The only real value around my area is for making hedge posts (fence posts) they will easily last a persons lifetime. It also makes good firewood for those really cold windy days just dont want to put alot in or your pipe will be glowin.

hedge makes really nice looking crafts . a bright yellow wood that with age gets to be a golden orange . if i was anywhere close to you . i would take it all . h

We had a big storm come through our area (so did everyone else in this part of the country). My partner had a huge osage orange tree come down in his yard. Fortunately, no property was damaged, but he has the delimma of cleaning up this mess.

The OO was a multi stem monster, and all but 1 of the stems has fallen.

We have heard several claims today about the wood, and would like to check those claims against what you guys say.

Claim #1 - OO wood is so valuable that people will come take it from you for free. Never pay to have an OO tree removed.

Claim #2 - An OO tree's growth pattern is very persistent. When a tree knocks over, many more will sprout up around it. It is very difficult to get rid of an OO tree.

Noooooooooo don't even think of using it for firewood it is the
best bow wood on earth if it is fairly straight large with as little knots
as possible. Cut in into six foot length or 6foot 6" and then split it into
three by three staves and coat ends with elmers glue good staves after
drying period are worth 75.00 and up depending on quality. If you just
want it gone go to walmart look in the back of traditional bowhunters
magazine and call the nearest in the book I am certain they will come
and get it if that fails what part of Ky is it and is it straight with no limbs
in any 6'6" areas?

a good friend of mine is an Osage Indian that lives in Pawhuska, OK.

He makes real Osage war clubs, bows, etc. out of Osage Orange.
Pieces he works with are generally 15+ years old, ends have been sealed in wax.

absolutely beautiful work!!!

I can post some pic's if there's any interest....

a good friend of mine is an Osage Indian that lives in Pawhuska, OK.

He makes real Osage war clubs, bows, etc. out of Osage Orange.
Pieces he works with are generally 15+ years old, ends have been sealed in wax.

absolutely beautiful work!!!

I can post some pic's if there's any interest....

The one I posted is real too I can tell you it will blister an arrow
at surprising speed, It is hard work but was worth the effort.

by real... what I meant was hand made by an Osage Indian from an ancient Osage design.

Nice bow by the way!!

He's making me a 5ft peavy handle out of Osage orange. should last me a lifetime...

by real... what I meant was hand made by an Osage Indian from an ancient Osage design.

Nice bow by the way!!

He's making me a 5ft peavy handle out of Osage orange. should last me a lifetime...

I know what you mean, I made mine by hand by my own design
as the Indians of the plains Osage included, made their bows
short for hunting off horse back. Some purists have criticized
my bow, because I used a draw knife instead of flint and use a
store bought string instead of sinew but I hunt with mine. The
Iroquois Indians used longbows because they were hunters.
Plains Indians done the majority of shooting from horseback
their bows were short and stout but lacked accuracy produced
by Indians in woods type hunting areas! The plains Indian also
used them as defense and shorter bows were easy to handle
from a running horse. I can make one just like those bows but
for my use it is not practical!

Now if you want a truly amassing bow a horn bow made by some blackfoot
out of big horn sheep where cool as they come they were short but could
be overdrawn almost twice the normal draw length. Anyone interested in making one for their own should invest in bows and
arrows of the plains Indian By Jim Hamm step by step instruction
and it is both fun and work but worth it.

Last edited:
Now back to the original poster If you are in western Ky I
may pick up the log for you I don't want it all but will get
all that interests me and may give you something for it if it is
as I described fairly straight limbless and a little over 6' long
pm me!

Around here, we call them hedge apples.

We are in Harrodsburg (central) KY. South of Lexington and north of Danville.

Here are some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry for your loss. What a difference cabling would have made!

The remaining trunk could be supported with guys or props, but it might not look that good.

Is it common for Osage Orange to get that large; how tall was that thing? In Texas they seem to get around 20'-25', at least in my area. I thought they did not sucker, as some trees such as Che are grafted to OO roots for that reason. Is the suckering tendency of a tree related to re-sprouting?

Latest posts

Back