Osage Orange down in yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it common for Osage Orange to get that large; how tall was that thing? In Texas they seem to get around 20'-25', at least in my area. I thought they did not sucker, as some trees such as Che are grafted to OO roots for that reason. Is the suckering tendency of a tree related to re-sprouting?

No but Texas gets less rain and very hot compared to Ky and
soil is deferent, specimens will do better if growing conditions
allow! I have seen large dogwoods in many peoples eyes!

I don't know what is common throughout the country, but in our area, they can get big. In fact, just a few hundred yards from this tree is the unofficial national champion. It is unofficial, because it too is a split trunk. But it is taller and wider than the national champion.

But you are right, the majority of them are in the 20 to 25 foot range.

This tree (and the other tree) are 200+ years old.

I don't know what is common throughout the country, but in our area, they can get big. In fact, just a few hundred yards from this tree is the unofficial national champion. It is unofficial, because it too is a split trunk. But it is taller and wider than the national champion.

But you are right, the majority of them are in the 20 to 25 foot range.

This tree (and the other tree) are 200+ years old.

The snag left standing has some awesome bow wood in it
that could be made into recurves, the large one on the ground
is big enough that even though a twist exists many good bows
can be salvaged! It appears to have some wood quality of such
that self bows or bows without sinew backing could be crafted !
A rare breed today self bows are very cool but take the best
quality wood to craft.

There are actually 3 stems on the ground. In the first pic you can see all three. One goes off to the right of the stem that is still standing, the other two go off to the left.

Anyone know of anyone in central KY who might want some/all of this?

There are actually 3 stems on the ground. In the first pic you can see all three. One goes off to the right of the stem that is still standing, the other two go off to the left.

Anyone know of anyone in central KY who might want some/all of this?

I am trying to decide if I want to take a road trip I am
going to Indiana Monday or Tuesday and could come
up 65 which is not too far is it?

We are about an hour and 15 mins. from Louisville. If coming from IN, go east on 64 and then south on 127. Take 127 straight into Harrodsburg. From Arkansas on 64, go east on Bluegrass Parkway and south on 127.

We are about an hour and 15 mins. from Louisville. If coming from IN, go east on 64 and then south on 127. Take 127 straight into Harrodsburg. From Arkansas on 64, go east on Bluegrass Parkway and south on 127.

I will get back to you tonight and may come this weekend
with my trailer and get all I can that will make bows if that
would help? I also would cut the rest up for you and help anyway
I can if that interests you ? Do you have a burn area on your property for the brush ?

Last edited:
My partner says that he has hired a tree cutter to come take everything away Monday.

If you want to come up between now and then and take whatever you want, that is fine with him.

He would like to keep some wood in order to make something from it. A table, or chair, or some other decoration to put around the house as a memorial of sorts. But, I think there is enough wood for anyone what wants it.

My partner says that he has hired a tree cutter to come take everything away Monday.

If you want to come up between now and then and take whatever you want, that is fine with him.

He would like to keep some wood in order to make something from it. A table, or chair, or some other decoration to put around the house as a memorial of sorts. But, I think there is enough wood for anyone what wants it.

Thanks I will let you know tonight if I can make that dead line
I would definitely put it to good use and even though it would take
quite some time to cure. I may send him a bow made out of it!
Bows need at least 2 year of cure time to ensure tiller is correct
but they can be made green and oiled which will work but tiller
may need corrected if one limb gets stiffer than the other!
Of coarse if it is only ornamental or a medicine bow green is
fine I have never thought of building one that is not for shooting
but would be easier than a shooter to craft!

Last edited:
this is an osage bow with buffalo sinue backing!

Super bow Ropensaddle! How about a video of it in action?

I would add that this wood makes great tool handles and mallets. It's real nice for turning on a lathe. Probably good for wooden screws for restoring old wood vises. Careful if you use it for firewood. The oils that make it resistant to rot also make it throw a lot of sparks. Only problem with milling is the yellow sawdust shows up everywhere.

Super bow Ropensaddle! How about a video of it in action?

I would add that this wood makes great tool handles and mallets. It's real nice for turning on a lathe. Probably good for wooden screws for restoring old wood vises. Careful if you use it for firewood. The oils that make it resistant to rot also make it throw a lot of sparks. Only problem with milling is the yellow sawdust shows up everywhere.

Hmmm now there is an Idea video maybe spring turkey I will try!

whitenack,is your partner having the remaining trunk cut, too?

Seems a shame to do so if not necessary.:cry:

whitenack,is your partner having the remaining trunk cut, too?

Seems a shame to do so if not necessary.:cry:

Yeah, the whole thing is going. Since it was multi-stem, the remaining stem is only one sided and has a significant curve away from the other stems. Besides, I wonder about the structural integrity of the remaining stems' roots now that he is taking away its buddies.

Post another notice over at Woodweb.com, and somebody might take you up on removal. If it was closer, I wood be all over it, even if I was just cutting it for fence posts!:greenchainsaw:

Someone mentioned "suckering" They dont grow from sucker roots. But they are prolific stump sprouters. Think of a mulberry bush and this will give you an idea of what they are like. If you cut a stump without treating or grinding it, expect a huge thornbush to be there in a couple of years.

This "second growth" is extremely straight with a curve at the base of it. This makes excellent posts, axe or tool handles, gentlemans cains and bows.

This wood is tougher than Oak, resists ground rot better than any treated wood and makes heat like coal. The fruit (by my experience) does repell spiders and insects.

Fruit

I was reading a field guide that states the fruit is eaten by livestock, hence the nickname "horse apple" mentioned in one of the posts here. Can anyone confirm this? Also heard someone refer to a row of these as a "devil row" since the top intertwined and made it very difficult to fall. I can definitely confirm this.

Yeah, the whole thing is going. Since it was multi-stem, the remaining stem is only one sided and has a significant curve away from the other stems. Besides, I wonder about the structural integrity of the remaining stems' roots now that he is taking away its buddies.
Well, it could be pruned for balance, but stability is still a concern.

That experience was a great advertisement for cabling, no doubt!

This weekend he had some folks stop by and offer to take it off for the lumber and firewood. One guy offered to pay him money. My partner refused the money, so the guy offered to make him a picnic table.

Back