Osage Orange down in yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean, I made mine by hand by my own design
as the Indians of the plains Osage included, made their bows
short for hunting off horse back. Some purists have criticized
my bow, because I used a draw knife instead of flint and use a
store bought string instead of sinew but I hunt with mine. The
Iroquois Indians used longbows because they were hunters.
Plains Indians done the majority of shooting from horseback
their bows were short and stout but lacked accuracy produced
by Indians in woods type hunting areas! The plains Indian also
used them as defense and shorter bows were easy to handle
from a running horse. I can make one just like those bows but
for my use it is not practical!

ropeand saddle , funny you should say that about the purist. i have been in an org called the ohio society of traditional srchers since it started in 89 . i was pres. for 8 years , you would not beleave the stuff ive herd . right down to but you have a metal knock set on your string . i tell them . go shoot shut up . and have fun . i shoot bamboo backed osage static recurves . great shooters .dont have a picture of my bow , but here is what i make and hunt with . h

ropeand saddle , funny you should say that about the purist. i have been in an org called the ohio society of traditional srchers since it started in 89 . i was pres. for 8 years , you would not beleave the stuff ive herd . right down to but you have a metal knock set on your string . i tell them . go shoot shut up . and have fun . i shoot bamboo backed osage static recurves . great shooters .dont have a picture of my bow , but here is what i make and hunt with . h

Good looking work I have not got into knapping flint yet have some
dogwood shoots bundled but I actually just use cedar hunting arrows!
I may give that a try later again good work motherstone is hard to find
here.

Good looking work I have not got into knapping flint yet have some
dogwood shoots bundled but I actually just use cedar hunting arrows!
I may give that a try later again good work motherstone is hard to find
here.

i am 20 minets from flint ridge ohio . but prefure working with obsidian . h

well you have to dig the flint . below 4 feet at least . then cook it for 24 hours , and if you dig 100 lbs there is only 10 good pounds of flint in it , it is really a hard , but rewarding job . and obsidian is glass from volcanos. alot easier to work with . try this . www.flintknappers.com . h

well you have to dig the flint . below 4 feet at least . then cook it for 24 hours , and if you dig 100 lbs there is only 10 good pounds of flint in it , it is really a hard , but rewarding job . and obsidian is glass from volcanos. alot easier to work with . try this . www.flintknappers.com . h

Thanks good info may give it a try when time avails!

Very nice looking work Hoot. I live in w n.y. and have found several old arrowheads in my fields. I have been told they are made out of chert.

sparks

Very nice looking work Hoot. I live in w n.y. and have found several old arrowheads in my fields. I have been told they are made out of chert.

how you cutting this stuff i seem to be throwing a lot of sparks:greenchainsaw:

Back