Outside fire pit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little late on whacking the fuzzy stuff off this year. Twice a year off it comes, as close as I can scissor it. It's kinda goofy but usually I try to hit bird nesting season for the spring whacking, throw it out in the bushes and the birds actually grab this natural ..blonde...fiber and haul it off.

Man, if I let it go a few years, geez loweez I could knit a sweater.... HAHAHAHAHA

I used to make pretty fair coin as a sales weasel..but dang I hated shaving...the suit I didn't mind so much, I just thought of it as urban camoflauge....

Ya, good pallets. got two plastic ones as well, swapped them out for the wooden ones I was using as dog house platforms. That place said I could get all their plastic ones, so I'll be going back. They don't get too many but I like the "no rot" idea.

I have two more stack areas to build, man, I got a lot of wood to split and stack up and finish cutting.

That's awesome! I love all your posts and pictures you take! My local hardware store also lets me take all there pallets that they don't want. They get stuff sent to them on pallets and I go down there and load up my pick-up and tie them down and bring them home to stack wood on and burn in the fire pit. I will definitely be going back to get more.

That's awesome! I love all your posts and pictures you take! My local hardware store also lets me take all there pallets that they don't want. They get stuff sent to them on pallets and I go down there and load up my pick-up and tie them down and bring them home to stack wood on and burn in the fire pit. I will definitely be going back to get more.

--where I got the plastic pallets they also have a lot of wooden pallets, and cardboard box scrap. Both the pallets and the cardboard are picked up by different people who resell that stuff.

See if you can find an outlet for extra pallets rather than just burning them in the pit, buy you some good fuel and mix and bar oil with the proceeds maybe. Around here the heavy ones in good shape go for about three bucks apiece.

For some reason there is no local resell market for the plastic ones, that's how I got them. My wooden ones come from the other side of the farm when the boss bulk orders stuff. I just lately started taking them, he didn't know I wanted them and was having his goofs throw them on the burn pile..big waste. Now I am snagging them.

I'll just keep building stack areas and filling them up with firewood. I like cutting so much and he doesn't seem to care how much I cut of cull trees and blowdowns, as long as my regular work is done. He knows I am into woodlot management and it will just make the good timber better. I was looking around..sheesh...thousand cords easy , something like that. I know I could proly take one cord a day forever, well, as long as I felt like humping wood and doing heavy work like that, LOL, and just make the woods better. Access is a different story, most is way in the woods. I will just work my way up slow and steady with the saws and gear and trucks, etc..see what happens down the road.

Thanks for the ideas Zogger! I know that Walmart and other places have the big bulk pallets that are painted blue but the company that makes them and leases them for walamart and other places to use takes them back after the stores are done with them. Every once in a while you will see one or two up that the dump and make sure you snag them or they will just chip them up :( My local hardware/dealer is where I get my pallets from and they don't have the big bulk ones there because they get all of there stuff sent to them on the cheap ones. I have to search to not find broken ones. The plastic pallets are also nice because I don't have to replace them because of rot under the wood piles.

Looks like I am late to the party oh well heres one of ours.
firepit.jpg

Here's a picture of our firepit. Made it out of rocks from a slide on the mountain. It's sunken into the ground around 10", I built it in a keyhole shape, the square end is used for cooking....
attachment.php

Last edited:
Here's a picture of our firepit. Made it out of rocks from a slide on the mountain. It's sunken into the ground around 10", I built it in a keyhole shape, the square end is used for cooking....
attachment.php

Looks pretty cool! I like the idea!

What did you use in the bottom of your fire pit ? Looks like steel or a type or rock ?

Looks pretty cool! I like the idea!

What did you use in the bottom of your fire pit ? Looks like steel or a type or rock ?

It's just the sub-soil, basically packed down clay. We use the pit around 2 to 3 times a week, I made a stainless steel grille for it, the keyhole design is nice because you can build a fire and cook on it literally within a half hour by pulling some coals over to the square side and throw a couple of slivers of applewood or hickory on them. I got rid of my propane grill around 8 years ago, I use the pit all the time!

It's just the sub-soil, basically packed down clay. We use the pit around 2 to 3 times a week, I made a stainless steel grille for it, the keyhole design is nice because you can build a fire and cook on it literally within a half hour by pulling some coals over to the square side and throw a couple of slivers of applewood or hickory on them. I got rid of my propane grill around 8 years ago, I use the pit all the time!

---great idea on dragging the coals over from the main fire! I have plenty of those flat rocks here, I'll have to see how I can expand my rig.

Looks like I am late to the party oh well heres one of ours.

slick!

Here's some rock work my boss started and my GF and I finished in the greenhouse. I did most of it, stone over block. That's a 150 gallon pool, with some waterfall and fountain action (not shown). Some place I have pics of it with plants and fish in it but can't find them right now.

attachment.php

woodman you overlooking a golf course or is that someone's yard (yours)?

slick!

Here's some rock work my boss started and my GF and I finished in the greenhouse. I did most of it, stone over block. That's a 150 gallon pool, with some waterfall and fountain action (not shown). Some place I have pics of it with plants and fish in it but can't find them right now.

attachment.php

It looks like you do some good work Zogger! Looks nice! Is that at your house ?

It looks like you do some good work Zogger! Looks nice! Is that at your house ?

It's just across the drive from our cabin, yes. I had built some small hoop houses for a garden season extender, and my boss found a complete full size greenhouse for sale cheap (talking ridiculous cheap compared to what a new one costs) used, so he snagged is as a gift to us (pay is low here but I get off the wall perks like that) but we had to tear it down and rebuild it. Took about a week with four guys doing all the work, but we have a huge greenhouse to use now all the time. Pull veggies out of it in the winter, and even have some fruit trees in there, got a fig almost ready to harvest soon. It's a little shorter than original, but still large, 24 x 76 I believe. GF does most of the stuff inside, doing our veggies and her flowers and house plants etc. I use a table in there for a shop, and can work on the riding mowers at the other end. It's OK working in there in the winter but like right now it is beastly hot and humid. Real early mornings aren't too bad in the summer, but anything after around 10 am, fergetaboutit.

hmm, OK, I'll run up and get some current pics

Looking down the main aisle, kubota diesel zero turn way down the opposite end

attachment.php

Plants, there's a fig tree on the left there and a whopper huge brussels sprout in that whiskey barrel. It's taller than I am. There's all sorts of plants in there, hundreds, who knows, bunches. GF pots up baby aloes from a momma aloe I got way back in the 80s, which is now pretty big. Even when I was having to live in my camper I kept that one house plant. When I got it it was like two inches, now you couldn't pick it up, even hard to move around with a hand truck. And it needs repotting again, to a bigger one.

attachment.php

A different smaller waterfall and pool. Not mortared, just laid up. A big blacksnake lives in there, back under in the blocks, in the winter, pretty funny! Keeps the mice and rats down I guess.... there's "wild" toads and treefrogs in there, too. Hmm,also preying mantis and who the heck knows what, it's a jungle.

attachment.php

workbench area, project saws, some runners, near runners, blah blah. Once they are well and truly runners, proven by cutting at least a tractor box load of wood, I move them out of the greenhouse, put them at the main house or in the barn or some place in the shed or swap them out. One is getting swapped out this weekend.

attachment.php

Outside view with a regular garden in front. We have four garden spaces but only two have stuff in them right now.

attachment.php

Yes thats our yard we mow 9 acres takes about 2 hrs with our setup, we take alot of pride in our properties

What do you use, like a batwing mower? I maintain at an airport including the grass strip and all I use is an old bush hog and dang I wish I had a real finish mower to do it.

Back