Oven cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some guys think you're crazy for wanting to clean a saw.....

I'm not a neat freak (ask my wife), but I can't STAND working on a dirty, greasy saw. I have to get at least the working area clean. Otherwise that gunk gets all over me, my tools, and the rest of the saw.
Clean tools are happy tools. :rock2:

When I graduated from college and started out on my own, I got an old '64 VW Beetle and, of necessity, had to learn to work on it. A friend gave me John Muir's classic :
Untitled.jpg
The author was kind of a coarse old hippie, but was adamant that a good mechanic NEVER put away dirty tools. I've found that to be very good advice.

I used a crock pot type appliance, with water-based degreaser, with better results.
Philbert

One thing I learned from using a crock pot for parts cleaning: if a cleaning solution will oxidize aluminum or magnesium a tiny bit when cold, when left at simmer overnight the process is enhanced exponentially, with disastrous results.

A friend gave me John Muir's classic
Great book. Sold my microbus 35 years ago, but still have the book!

One thing I learned from using a crock pot for parts cleaning: if a cleaning solution will oxidize aluminum or magnesium a tiny bit when cold, when left at simmer overnight the process is enhanced exponentially, with disastrous results.
Time + heat + chemical reaction.

Heat still helps non-oxidizing, water-based solutions. I mostly used it on steel stuff with some special parts cleaning chemical (that did not work very well). Commercial parts cleaning tanks for water-based cleaners usually have some type of heater. Makes the process go faster.

Again, I am not recommending the use of sodium hydroxide cleaners (or other reactive chemicals) for soaking of aluminum or magnesium, hot or cold.

Philbert

I always spray my saws with WD40 let them sit then wipe them down. I use a light mixture of purple power or green power. Degreaser kills the finish big time so don’t use it straight. Awesome is great degreaser but eats the hell out of paint. Even diluted it eats paint pigment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to dollar store kitchen widget dept.

Buy various brushes, wooden spatulas, chopsticks, plastic spatulas, etc, or anything that will scrape/scrub into nooks and crannies

Buy a spray bottle or steal one from the house.

Spend $15.00

Go somewhere else to buy a jug of wd40 (a jug, not a can).

Spend $15.00

Gently scrape/brush all the crud off saw. Then apply with the spray bottle a liberal amount of wd40 all over everything

Let it soak, maybe overnight.

Later, wipe/brush clean. Then wash with soap and water. Dish soap works good at this point.

For sap, use butter and let it soak for a while too. Work it in with your fingers or something..

Works for me in greasy/oily/dirty/sappy situations

None of this will dullen or damage the finish on anything, like many hard soaps and metal tools will.

Wd40, various cheap plastic and or bristle brushes, various wooden or plastic scraping tools, dish soap, water, elbow grease, and a little time to sit is all you need. An air compressor is handy too.

Purple power and green whatever has been a dismal failure on heavy greasy/oily dirt, in my experience. Solvents, including gasoline and diesel are far more effective.

Im cleaning up a saw I picked up yesterday that is covered in about thirty years of gunk. Has anyone used oven cleaner before? I think it would work good but im afraid it will damage the paint. I've been using purple power but this stuff is solidified and has to be scraped.

Thanks. Jason.[/QUOTE

I have I used mr muscle oven cleaner on a number of saws , check out my husky 61 thread, and to clean the tank on a 056 super , it does a wanderful job on plastics and crank cases. i did my 61 etc. with the cylinder removed, i packed the crankcase with clean kitchen roll, then gave it a soak in mr muscle for 20-30 mins, giving it a scrub with a domestic dish washing brush and rinsing off in clean soapy water , don't forget to wear appropriate gloves, that mr muscle plays havoc with your nails ;o) i have cleaned cylinders too with it it wont damage nikasil , but you don't want to be to long with exposed alloy before it reacts/oxidises. again 20-30 mins and rinse off properly in clean soapy water ;o)

Another thing that cuts a lot of different crud is Gojo Orange, or its active ingredient, jojoba oil. You can take tools that are covered in epoxy and put them in a bucket with some Gojo Orange and water, and the epoxy won't harden. I bet it would loosen up sap...

Go to dollar store kitchen widget dept. Buy various brushes, wooden spatulas, chopsticks, plastic spatulas, etc, or anything that will scrape/scrub into nooks and crannies
I buy a lot of garage sale kitchen stuff. And save all the used toothbrushes, when they get replaced!

Yup, and some pot-scrubber brushes, etc, etc.
Scotch-Brite 'No-scratch' pads. When they get demoted from kitchen use, they go down into the t 'clean other stuff' pile.

. . .Gojo Orange . . . I bet it would loosen up sap...

A little paint thinner on a rag works too.

Philbert

Vaseline works good for removing glue/adhesive and pine sap.

Back