Paint recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions on over the counter spray paint that you find to be easy to use and durable. I want to repaint some pieces on an old Mac and a retrofit cutoff attachment. Just looking to find out what has worked for you all whether it be brand name or generic.

paint

A friend told me about thie spray paint and i really like it. Its oil based enamel and you can get it at tractor supply store. It seems to be pretty durable.

I would really reccomend Rustoleum enamel if you're going to rattle can it. I've used it on everything from bumpers to boat props and it holds up real well.

Most NAPAs have a color camera that they can scan anything with, then mix up a spray bomb of automotive style paint.

As mentioned above, TSC safety yellow is the way I would do it. I used two gallons of that stuff to paint an old case backhoe. I used a nice primer though. You can get TSC yellow in a gal or spray can. They also have a school bus yellow that is more orangey.

I tried school bus yellow from Ace, and it was "close" but too orange, on the other hand the John Deere yellow from them was too pale...

I have tried various colors and paints from Rustoleum (brite yellow) which was too brite, Krylon (lemon yellow) which was way too pale...

I have not tried the Catepillar yellow (which I am assuming is also too orange) or the safety yellow. The Pro Mac 610 is 20+ years old and I am sure the paint has faded and such. Just trying to get as close as a mach as possible without have to repaint the body of the saw. I guess color won't matter too much when we are using it to cut through a metal garage door or something under fire conditions. LOL But it will look good mounted on the firetruck...

Went to Tractor Supply and picked up some Valspar Safety Yellow. The color is close, close enough. I was impressed with the "air" drying time. 20 minutes and I could easily handle the painted part. What was more impressive, I baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for 3 hours and the results were amazing. That paint cures so hard, harder than any other top name brand paint I've used. This has got to be one of the most durable paints that I have used to date (excluding automotive with hardeners). Thanks for the tip, Gatkeper1.

Poulan Rebuild

I'm restoring a poulan S25DA as a project , (nice little climbing saw) . Parts availability is good through our member Lawnmowertech37 . He runs CM Small Engines at www.cmsmallengines.net and has been helpful in finding parts . Question is : Does anyone one know of the Poulan original lime green paint availability or something similar ? Any suggestions would be appreciated . Putting a few pesos into this project and would like to finish it off nicely with fresh paint . Thanks .

Ive had the best luck with rustoleum

Colors another story entirely, but as far as good paint goes..

Its all in your prepwork & priming

What about epoxy paint?

What do you think about epoxy paint? I imagine it would resist gas and oil, because epoxy is used to patch gas tanks. I imagine a bit of research would turn up a source of custom colors to match stock. Mabe an automotive paint supply house? The level of gloss might be an issue............. but hey, what about a metal-flake green 084 with a flame paint job, and a wacked-out header pipe? We could usher in a new trend... the custom hot rod chainsaw!:hmm3grin2orange:
( I hope I don't get banned for this one ):monkey:
:bowdown: Pu-lease don't throw me out of the club! :bowdown:

What was more impressive, I baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for 3 hours and the results were amazing. .

Would that be the kitchen oven that the wife uses for the Thanksgiving turkey and such?:dizzy: "You kids stop jumping around. I've got a saw in the oven!"

We are a sick bunch, aren't we!!

McCulloch Yellow = Rustoleum #7747 Sunburst Yellow.
However, I have a 1-41 and a 2-10 that are a lighter shade of yellow all together. I think they must have changed shades somewhere along the line. The #7747 is dead on with the Super 250, 10-10 and the 2 125's. I have not found an exact match for the earlier yellow but I have 2 or 3 good prospects that I've yet to experiment with. I only do small parts and leave the larger parts with their battle scars for character. If you're doing only small parts the #7747 is close enough to get away with since it is reasonably close. I apply the Rustoleum Clear Coat and bake bake the paint at 225 Fahrenheit for several hours for extra resistance to fuel mix.

Most NAPAs have a color camera that they can scan anything with, then mix up a spray bomb of automotive style paint.

As mentioned above, TSC safety yellow is the way I would do it. I used two gallons of that stuff to paint an old case backhoe. I used a nice primer though. You can get TSC yellow in a gal or spray can. They also have a school bus yellow that is more orangey.

Ditto Ed,
I'm always buying a spray bomb from NAPA because they have Ford and GMC colors. Constantly sanding, body filler, sanding, priming, painting the old Ranger and Buick. I got a quart of enamel paint in Fisher Yellow for the snow plow too.:cheers:

Does anyine know what "color" paint closely matches McCulloch yellow???

You might easily find a more durable finish. I've been using baking lacquer for years, it's darn near impossible to remove unless you sand blast it off and it's impervious to most solvents, gas and oil. However, if you want the color match, go with the Sunburst Yellow. It's been referred to me by several old school Mac collectors that are far more knowledgeable than me.

What do you think about epoxy paint? I imagine it would resist gas and oil, because epoxy is used to patch gas tanks. I imagine a bit of research would turn up a source of custom colors to match stock. Mabe an automotive paint supply house? The level of gloss might be an issue............. but hey, what about a metal-flake green 084 with a flame paint job, and a wacked-out header pipe? We could usher in a new trend... the custom hot rod chainsaw!:hmm3grin2orange:
( I hope I don't get banned for this one ):monkey:
:bowdown: Pu-lease don't throw me out of the club! :bowdown:

The problem I see on the job with epoxy paint like we use on rebar is that it is not chip or impact resistant hardly at all. Its strong, but generally brittle.

Back