Part number for Stihl ms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I just ordered the larger clutch cover for my 460. I've got a wrap bar on it and seeing moving chain that close to my hand is unnerving. Plus the standard cover looks wimpy anyway.

So I ordered an aftermarket one from a reputable online source. The OEM part number is 1122-648-0403, or so the package says. But I got it today and the holes for the studs are way to small. Like they were meant for an 8 or 9 mm stud. Not the 12mmm.

Original on top.

Aftermarket on bottom

9unynu5a.jpg

Did I get the wrong part? Is there and reason I shouldn't just drill out a countersink in the cover for the studs? Everything else lines up perfectly.

Wtf?

I don't want to pay or wait to send it back unless I absolutely have to.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
You got the old style clutch cover. They had those on the 046 and the early 460's. They just changed the bar studs I am pretty sure. You might be able to get the old style bar studs and put them in, I think they are around 3 or 4 $. I had a old one like that and wanted to put it on my newer 460, so I just drilled out the holes to match the new one. Works fine.

sent from my STIHL 660 using Tapatalk

I'll hit the drill press with a 12mm (correct?) bit first thing in the morning.

Thanks

Check out my "feeling pretty stupid" thread from the other day. I had the exact same problem. I just drilled them out and it works fine.

Apparently it's a pretty common thing.

Back