Part number for Stihl ms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bootboy

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
So I just ordered the larger clutch cover for my 460. I've got a wrap bar on it and seeing moving chain that close to my hand is unnerving. Plus the standard cover looks wimpy anyway.

So I ordered an aftermarket one from a reputable online source. The OEM part number is 1122-648-0403, or so the package says. But I got it today and the holes for the studs are way to small. Like they were meant for an 8 or 9 mm stud. Not the 12mmm.

Original on top.

Aftermarket on bottom

9unynu5a.jpg

Did I get the wrong part? Is there and reason I shouldn't just drill out a countersink in the cover for the studs? Everything else lines up perfectly.

Wtf?

I don't want to pay or wait to send it back unless I absolutely have to.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
whitmore

whitmore

ArboristSite Member
You got the old style clutch cover. They had those on the 046 and the early 460's. They just changed the bar studs I am pretty sure. You might be able to get the old style bar studs and put them in, I think they are around 3 or 4 $. I had a old one like that and wanted to put it on my newer 460, so I just drilled out the holes to match the new one. Works fine.

sent from my STIHL 660 using Tapatalk

Joesell

Joesell

ArboristSite Guru
Check out my "feeling pretty stupid" thread from the other day. I had the exact same problem. I just drilled them out and it works fine.

Apparently it's a pretty common thing.

Latest posts