partner 5000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
i picked this up yesterday for a song[25].
wasnt gonna fool with it but mill really
had a high end.. who ever used , just let things quit working until it finally got to be to much trouble i guess. ive fixed the switch,bushings in anti vibe,and done a lot of seriously needed carb adjustment. also oiler needed adjustment ,he had it closed ,guess it was too messy to have that ole oil on the bar. any way its a work in progress. any way did a search and got differing openions. and origion ideas . any
way any input will be appreciated.
i needed a back up for the 028 i kept.
this sawis electrolux. but no primer bulb.
make me feel good an tell me its closer to a husky. just kidding . whatever is ,is.
an u do with it . thanks.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
im startin to believe ive got a chain saw from outer space.
not really ive found out it is pretty much a husky in yellow. rated as a commercial saw.dont know if this .050 will stay on the bar with me tho.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
thanks john, got everything fixed,but the chainbreak and i just dont know how to do that.some o mine got it an some dont. dont make any difference to me . one thing after really working the chain over ,she takes a good peel . have to use on the job to know if shes a saw i can depend on.later now ,and thanks for the info. :) im really enjoyin bringing these things back from the consumer grave yd.
total money in it 25 bucks.:D

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
dang im smart. put a new chain on it,which necessitated changing the tension bar rite smart . put it back togather and the chainbreak now works like new. guess im jus a genus:D :D

Saw Man

Saw Man

ArboristSite Operative
Just joined the forum, and this is my first post.

Quite familiar with the P5000 pro saw.
It isn't a Husky at all, but they did use it's years ago along with j-Reds, and Poulan Pro.
They were basically reskinned / down spec'd versions.

Many 'innovative' designs actually came from Partner & j-Reds, and found their way to their Husky 'cousins'. Corporate battles.

The P5000 is a very strong saw. Keep the carb screws tight, and if you need oiler parts, there was an upgrade done years ago. Some parts are still used by the 'cousins' today, #'s are changed.

Happy, & Safe Sawing!

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
sounds like u know the saw.even to the pt about the oiler. takes running a full minute to get it to start oiling adjusted it.
oils alrite now but think ill put a little on the bar at first use. as u need to rev it to get it to oiling,rite. in any case got 42 dollars in it now and its turning out to have been a good bet. just a plain good cutting saw. an its on the truck.
ill wait untill my first clean up or clearing job ,to say if it belongs in a workmans hands.everything depends on dependability ,least for me.
yep the 028 will be their too just in case it dont cut the muster. thanks again sawman.

Saw Man

Saw Man

ArboristSite Operative
That saw should normally oil fast.
Have you cleaned/replaced the oil filter?

The metal plate helped to hold the pump rod against the worm gear. If it's not tight, it won't oil right.

Also, the pump rod was made of a good plastic. It can wear just like a tire. Look at the teeth, if they are 'thinned' they can slip.

There was an 'o' ring, or some spacer that was added to help.
Just don't remember at the moment.

Last edited:
Tony Snyder

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Partner 5000 was one of the first real good 3 cube pro saws. The semi-pro 500 was very good also, most I sold are still running from the early 80s.

Partner had good saws.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last Partner design survives in the Jonsered line as the 2083II.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
alrite mike appreciate u guys helpin a novice here. wife pulled me over on the way out the door w the 335. supper time.
she jus dont understand my interest in these saws. good cook tho:)

Tony Snyder

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Now, was this one actually designed by Partner while Partner was still Partner?

I sold a few of these, and more of the 500. They came to me in Partner yellow and were marked "made in Sweden".

I'm real confused about who designed what back during the time of Electrolux buy-ups. I may be even more confused after someone who was involved in it explained it to me. I thought I could tell a Jonsered from a Partner from a Husky of 1980 vintage, but now I'm not so sure.

Mike Acres

Mike Acres

ArboristSite Operative
When engineering sits down to design a new saw such as the one we are discussing they have to consider all the brands requirements as forseen at that time. They also have to consider what engine sizes are going to go on that chassis. The Partner 500 and 5000 were also the Jonsereds 490 and 590 and some of the components were used in the Husqvarna 50. As stated previously, the 5000+H+ version was the Poulan PRO 325. Partner used it for a cut-off saw engine in the K500 model. It has had one ring and two ring pistons.
The 5000 came on the market in 1979 so the design work probably started in 1975. The design has had a 22 year run so far. As far as I know the original design work started with the Partner division of Electrolux.

Greg Carberry

Greg Carberry

ArboristSite Operative
Tony,
I have service bullitens here for the 5000. They did get a new oil pump and rod. What is the serial number on your saw? Should be able to tell if it was before or after the new pump.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
u are rite tony. its stamped made in sweden,and mentions electrolux on it..
so from what u guys have been sayin.
except for a difference in cc,this anr the 335 ,of another post,are pretty much the same family and desighn. dang i figured that out my self:)
its obvious tho, they use some, same parts but two different minds came up w the way its all put togather.havnt pulled the exhaust yet . be interesting to see if this one got 2 rings also. as always i appreciate the help. i get it outa the truck today an post the serial number.
she has started oiling really good tho.
i guess the chainsaw god is just smiling on me rite now. still dont know why the chain brake started workin,when i changed the chain.:confused: :) talk at yaw later.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
me again jus piddling. opened the partner . one ring ,but twice as thick as the ring on the 335. is it possible that thats the deal on these rings . a thick one or two thin ones,accomplish the same thing.
am wondering if i drill more holes in the inner sound shield. do i need to enlarge the port. this ones on the frnt ,with the screen on the out side front.
the number is 7685. on this one.
also it seems to me this is possibly a more restrictive muffler. no oil in it and just black carbon color but no build up.
the piston is unmarked except for a slite brown discoloration rite next to the ring.somebody said somethin about that in a recent post..
also the piston wall is grooved horizontally. rather than smooth. its the way its made not damage,but just curious as to whats with that.as always ,anybody got time to shed some lite on it . sure be appreciated.
email me if u like,although id bet the info might be helpful to others here.
if theys anybody here,with my lack of knowledge of the mechanics of these things.lol. dont get me wrong,when it comes to operating one im not too bad[.never killed but one ,an that i always suspected was not shakin my mix.]
but i get by with, good maintenance and stayin with what has worked in the past.thanks again for any help here.later now.

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Most 2-stroke pistons I've seen have some visible machine marks on the piston skirt. I think they are there to cut down on friction as there is less surface area contact.

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
mike acres website showed the 5000 rated at 3.0 hp. that is pretty low compared to today's ~3.5 for comparable saws. I ran a P500 recently and was very impressed with it's cutting speed.

Didnt these saws have a lot in common with the Jonsy 520SP? That was the odd ball saw with the block between the crankcase and cylinder. I had one for years, and later, when i got 026's, felt the Jonsy was lighter and peppier. I couldn't do any comparisons as the 520 had been lost.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
ill say this about it . it was not made
with the person fixin things on it ,considered. not near as accessable as the 335,i just picked up. but i like it pretty fair now. its running a micro ,.50 chain
with 66 drivers,16 inch bar. think ill just drill a few more holes and leave it like it is. she gets dn in wood pretty good.

Latest posts