Pawn shop John Deere cs56

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
While Christmas shopping today I came across this saw at the local pawn shop. Guy said it was put out on the showroom monday. Maybe I'm selfish but I bought it. Besides it is near new condition. Did a search and a bit of reading. Most of the posts are older so I would like to hear how they are doing. Members seem to agree that the cs 62 is the better deal but could not pass at the price. Besides the dealer still has some cs62's if I really like this one.
Couple questions. Max rpm's? Tuned it by ear then took atach reading (12,900). This saw has the nylon filter, has anyone run both nylon and flock? Took a couple vids for the people that have not gotten a chance to check these out. Sorry freezing rain so no cutting yet.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqEdMwc7qA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmW1HrvPUds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhP-9g4KQkA

Yes sir, Maybe not the best looking saw but it does seem to be built well. Found some more info, looks like 13000 is recommended.

Thanks for the manual. Anyone try a 62 swap onto this saw?

The CS62 cylinder will bolt right on but Baileys lists the Efco P/C kit at $262. John Deere still shows the part number as valid at $180. If you had the choice of both and think you'd like the bigger engine, You might be better off if they will let you trade up.

Local Deere dealer has a no saw trade in policy. I tried to talk them into taking some in but would not have it. Will have to keep my eyes open for a p&c. What are you guys running for a bar and chain combo. This one is .325 18". All of my saws are 3/8 and would like to convert this one. Does not seem to be many option out there for this saw.

Local Deere dealer has a no saw trade in policy. I tried to talk them into taking some in but would not have it. Will have to keep my eyes open for a p&c. What are you guys running for a bar and chain combo. This one is .325 18". All of my saws are 3/8 and would like to convert this one. Does not seem to be many option out there for this saw.

I have the same saw with an 16" bar with .325 and an 8 pin sprocket. The muffler has been opened up and it rips good. Shouldn't be a problem to run 3/8 at all. You'll just need need a small mount Husqvarna bar and a new rim sprocket.
A flocked filter is available for the saw and it would be good to check for dust getting past the filter after running it a while. I had a problem with dust getting past the filter on mine and now I use a small amount of heavy grease on all the edges of the filter to help seal every thing up and it's worked good for me.

My CS62 is running nylon and my Oly 980 is running flocked. The nylon filter is easier to clean. The flocked gets worn out and torn after a while. I think the nylon gets the nod unless you are cutting on a sand dune.

I'm still running the OEM 20" x 0.325" bar on the CS62, but I dumped the safety chain that came with the saw for Woodsman Pro full chisel. I'm saving for a 24" 3/8" bar with skip chain.

I would think 18" is about right for your saw, maybe 20" max. Not a lot of 3/8" bars in 18" length, but here's one. Baileys 18" x 3/8" bar

Your CS56 should make a good firewood saw.

Was wondering about the filter seal. VERY little time on this saw and i can see a bit of dust getting by. Good idea with the greese. Have had this prob with my 455 also. I may leave this set up on the saw but it is handy to have all the same chain for every saw. This saw should pull a 20 ok as my 359 does.
How did you open up the muffler? I usually use 3/4 conduit out the side but was thinking something a bit more suttle. This muffler is very restrictive.

When this weather passes I will replace the safety chain and get some vid. Maybe a little side by side with the 359.

From your post, I thought the pawn shop had both models in stock. I just read too much into it. I wouldn't expect the JD dealer to be interested in it.

Last edited:
Mine pulls a 20" with .325 on the stock 8 pin rim with no problems. I find the .325 chain easier on the hands than the 3/8", much less vibration. I do have a 24" bar with 3/8" and a 7 pin but don't have much need for that set-up at this time.

DSC01172.jpg

Ya I wasn't very clear on that. Dealer has them all in stock yet but does not take trades. I may try the 20" .325 setup. In hard wood the 3/8 does vibe quite a bit. The more I check this saw out the better I like it. Kind of a pain to get the cyl cover off though.

Moss good to see you survived the snow storm! Brewin another one up for you over here in Iowa. Sendin her your way. Got any room in the shed beside the family of husqvarnas for a snow blower!
Ya every ounce and a while a pawn shop can suprise you. Prob with the net and ebay is they can check prices to easy. Got this one for 160.50 out the door. Looks kinda like a johny red with the recoil cover.

If it's all the same to you, please send the storms in another direction besides here! No neec for the snowblower, I sit in the heated cab of my one ton and run the control lever for the 9' plow.......heaven.

Yes sir that is how it should be done. If this crap keeps up I'm seriously going to consider moving south were there is global warming.

I have a CS 62 and a CS 56 Bought the 62 new and the 56 very slightly used. In my opinion there is not much difference between the saws especially in a firewood capacity. I run a 20" 3/8 full chisel on the 62 and a 18" 325 semi chisel on the 56. I have run the 56 with a 20" 3/8 and it does just fine. If I had to point out a down side. The airfilter is a weak link here I routinely have to put silicone grease around the airfilter base gasket to keep from getting a build up of fine dust in the intake. I have not used the flock filter on either they are around $25 at the JD dealer. I wish you the best of luck they are EXCELLENT saws. THe RPM's are 13000-13500 per my manual.

I think the bar mount pattern on those saws depends on the year they were made. The older versions used the Homelite/ Olympyk bar pattern like in Deezlfans picture. Newer ones use the Husky mount.

I had the same saw only as a Cub Cadet. Mine came with a 20'' 3/8's new. Of all the new saws I've had that was the one withthe most noticeable improvement after break-in. It was really a dog until after 5 or 6 tanks were run through it.

It apperars that mine is a Husky mount. I have been looking for the Cub version for years with no luck. After thinking on it for the night, I will be converting it to 3/8. Just easier that way. Thanks for all the input guys.

My CS62 is running nylon and my Oly 980 is running flocked. The nylon filter is easier to clean. The flocked gets worn out and torn after a while. I think the nylon gets the nod unless you are cutting on a sand dune. ......

That is a very good point, that many miss! :clap::clap:

Back