Pellet woes, pros, and comps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try to get some on!! I use a hydrometer to check the moisture content, the process really isnt that hard!!! but I will try to post some pic`s.

aha! So you are way ahead of me! :D

I use the wood chips from my tree care operation, load them into a homemade hoper that sits on a fabricated & modified garbage disposal unit(no water attachment) I use this as a type of hammer mill, once the chips are small enough & the moisture content right I then process the material.

I think that it is a big plus to have that kind of access to raw materials whether one is producing pellets for their own consumption or on a commercial basis. There are a ton of things that I would like to do, but the only way to make them feasible is if they were offshoots of existing operations.

I use a tumble dry rack with nothing but a fan, the rack is like an old bingo ball dispenser with window screen to cushion the tumbling process!!

I use a foot pump type jack on a ram with an extruder plate, the jack is a 80 ton unit very old & was free!! the extruder is a 1/2 plate with approx 50- 60 tapered holes lil smaller than 1/4 inch attached to this is a manual shear!

One of the biggest attractions of the forums that I frequent are the ideas and projects that are posted up. It is always a learning experience for me. :D

its a manual set up, not very professional looking as it is homemade, I can make a 40lb bag in an evening in my spare time, I just tried it out this year so im still refining the pressure, moisture & compression tech., different chips jam me as I got maple pretty well down, when I do oak & others I usually have to experiment for about an 1hr or so, but im learning!! I think this is due to the lignin(spelling) differences in each specie!!

I am more into results than looks (otherwise I'd start doing sit-ups on a regular basis. :D).

You must have a ton of knowledge built up after building and using your wood pellet setup and I hope that you will share more of it in this thread. My pittance of knowledge comes from doing some reading about a year and a half ago for a report that I had to do for one of my co-workers (that :censored: meathead).

pellet pros has a real nice pro unit im thinking about getting, I was made aware of this after I made mine(which was a PITA)

LXT................

LOL .... it's almost a given for me that when ever I buy or build something within a short while I will either see it on sale or find one available for cheap (or free sometimes).

whats sad is the pellet pro`s pellet maker is very affordable, for around $5-$6,000 you could have a nice set up, I cant/wont take credit for the knowledge, I talked to an old feed mill worker who used machines in the making of pet food along with maintaining them, He`s the knowledge!! I just did what he said, trial & error..........mostly error!!

I made it cause at the time the only MFG was swedish power chippers & their units are around $75,000.00.

If any one needs help, Ill tell ya what I can, but honestly I would probably look at buying a pellet pro mill, I wouldnt need their hammermill just the production unit I think it makes 300-500lbs of pellets a day??? my method that would take a week!!

LXT............

Low grade pellets.........this makes me laugh, kinda like saying low grade fire wood!!

The pellet process isnt rocket science!! so producing them should not be expensive!! I have my own little operation "frankensteins monster" but the wood pellets I made out of wood chips are doing real well!!

I dont get the same burn time though, I lost about 2-3hrs per 40lbs, Im thinking my process just didnt compress them enough, but hey they were free!!

I do agree on the what was once waste is now a source for income & therefore the price is being driven up, thats ok!! Ill keep doing what im doing & maybe wood chips will be worth something!!!

LXT................

BTW you're on to suttin. I started a thread about a wood chip burner. Go and take a gander.

Ya ain't gonna think low grade pellet is joke after ya read this. My father in-law has a got a big 'ol pellet stove in his basement. He thought he'd save some dough gettin some cheap ol pellet at the H0m3 d3p0+. That there bad pellet gummed up his auger and worked like a wick lightin up the hopper! He was none the wiser til the house was all fillin up with smoke!

Thats the pellet stove! not the pellets!

the hoper has a burn back barrier & this should of never happened, if its a single auger set up that is!! however if the unit was never cleaned the rope like gasket might have been badly worn & in need of replacement , if its a 2 auger set up thats even harder cause the top auger is on a timed cycle with the bottom auger & with no air induction into this area the fire would actually die out!!

something was just plain wrong with your father in laws stove, these are supposed to be cleaned out regularly.......most people dont do this & problems arise, but burn back into the hoper with out air being induced would be very hard!! ever open the door on the stove & watch what happens to the flame.........without air induction the flame tames way down!!

LXT............

Back