People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been told not to charge a frozen Li-ion battery. You can try using them in cold weather; they are very popular for ice augers for ice fishing, but charging a ‘frozen’ battery is supposed to damage it.

The “rapid chargers“ use sensors to monitor battery heat, reducing the likelihood of damage, aside from the convenience of charging the battery faster.

Philbert

Actually had a opposite problem with my cordless power tools, after running the battery down it was too hot to charge and the charger wouldn't charge as long as the heat symbol was on, so I stick in the beer fridge to cool them off so they take a charge.
I have no idea if this is safe or detrimental to the battery, but I do it. At least they are not hot enough to affect the beer.

So sort of related subject I have been Rigid cordless power tools for the past 8 years and so far very happy. But the batteries they come with are 2Ah because they want to keep the buy in price low. However a cordless mini angle grinder sucks up 2Ah very fast.
So today I took delivery of two 6Ah batteries which are knock offs. It will be interesting to see how these Chinese knock offs hold up compared to the Chinese ones with Rigids' name on them
Well so I'm sort of happy with the knock offs, fit is a little tight but worked on on the cordless handheld grinder.

The guys that did bucket work along my property used hydraulic pole saws. Thought that was pretty nifty.
That's nothing new, we had them in the 60's. If any one wants a couple, my friend has two off her fathers bucket truck. She said I could have one. I was going to convert it to run off the hydraulic system on my Massey Ferguson 135, 42 HP. Turned out there was a good bit more than just putting matching ports on the tractor and pole saws and clips. Plus any length of hydraulic hose made it so heavy it was unusable. My Echo power pruner turned out to be a great choice.

I use Milwaukee M12 and M18.
So I bought the M18 Pole saw and weed whacker .
The pole saw works ok, good power. Thin chain with one tightening nut. Oiler is underwhelming.
But easy to carry and no starting issues while walking the wood trails.
So makes a nice small backup saw for limbing and use it quite a bit.
Even felled some smaller 4-6" x 30-50' trees.
Batteries are awful expensive, but work in my impact drivers etc. so really get a lot of use.

if you look at the trends with leading garden equipement manfufacturers, you'll notice that electric power equipment is the way to go for the future. Many landscaping firms and arborisst over here are switching to full electric, except for some big chainsaws required for the logging/bucking stuff. The have a special trailer for loading the batteries as well. In some city area's, it is already forbidden using heavy noise emitting tools for arborists. This trend will only continue in the future, widening to rural villages and small cities.

My neighbour has acquired a battery hedge cutter, and compared to my 2 stroke stuff, it is much lighter and is very easy on the ears. I personally have been weary of electric garden tools because of cables, batteries and lack of power, but I guess when battery performance will hit a reasonable threshold, plenty of users will switch to electric. Win the goverment promoting "green" as the holy grail, it may well be that gas operated tools will soon be considered as hazardous and environment polluting, and likely forbidden in many areas. Not my preferred choice, but .... Same with diesel engines compared to electrical ones in cars.

As soon as electric cars will reach a sustainable market share, the government will raise the tax level on gas or diesel to unprecedented levels, and that will force you to go electrical. Electricity also will become very expensive as well, because of the generation and distribution cost, regardless of source. We are fooked either way.

If you factor in the emissions released from the mining to obtain the battery raw materials,,
the electric operated equipment can never offset the equivalent fossil fuel powered energy that was used to mine the battery materials.

Look at the shovel, it is pulling an extension cord,, it is powered by 6,000 volts, right off the grid.
So, it is possibly coal powered,,
The truck is diesel,, the engine powers a generator to operate the electric drive wheels.

ShovelAndTruck.jpg
I rode a shovel like that for 3 days, it was amazing.

I am totally blown away with my Stihl MSA140c. Something about the 1/8” chain gives it very long life between sharpening. With 2 batteries I can run most of the day with little wait time.

AND,,, here goes ANOTHER load of energy ,
that will be used to recharge the batteries on the Milwaukee Electric Chain Saws,,,

View attachment 962906

I see this type view in Roanoke ,,, often.
Not for long, methinks. And I suspect this N&W coal is heading east to Norfolk and Chesapeake for export. Burning dinosaurs for steam is an anachronism in a modern economy.

I am totally blown away with my Stihl MSA140c. Something about the 1/8” chain gives it very long life between sharpening. With 2 batteries I can run most of the day with little wait time.
Back in 1980, I bought a Remington electric chain saw,, corded, of course,, battery was not even a twinkle in the developers eye,, yet.
The Remington almost never needed sharpening,, and I used that saw A LOT!
I say never, compared to how often a gas fueled saw needs sharpening.

I cut truck loads of pallets,, all winter long, they were free at where I worked.
I had 4 cords of wood delivered in long lengths,, my neighbor cut some for me, but, the Remington did a significant portion.

The saw took forever to get dull, and then, it was barely dull,, 2 or 3 strokes per tooth dull,, that is all.
I am convinced the chain lasted and lasted,, because of the slow chain velocity.

Yes, it took a lot longer to make cuts, but, that was the nature of the beast.
I guess it was kinda a "turtle chainsaw",,, slow, and steady?

Basic Info: I power my cabin via solar and use lithium batteries to store.

some answers on lithium batteries:

lithium batteries cannot charge below 3°c without damage unless you have the newest versions that are doped with a new compound to allow charging at or slightly below 0°c (this is the LiFePo4 chemistry) currently the leader in power to weight ratio.

Currently the big thing on the battery storage horizon is solid state batteries that The Japanese companies are currently developing. they appear to offer very rapid (compared to other chemistries) charge times. even compared to LiFePo4 which is way faster than lead acid, NiMh, or straight lithium basically think of them like capacitors only way cooler. they do not as of the research I have done have the temperature limitations that lithium has. what they consist of though is still a question mark in my mind.

Interesting that there is new battery technology,, but, THAT new technology,, should come with a "quirk".

The quirk being that the electric companies ,, mostly for commercial customers, have set up a thing called "DEMAND" charge.
If the customer uses a large amount of energy, in a small period of time, that would be considered "HIGH DEMAND".
To be able to service this demand, the electric company had developed a special billing procedure.
If you use a big chunk of KWH's in a short time, they charge a premium.
That premium can easily cause the entire months bill to increase to 2X,, or more!
Something that "Charged like a Capacitor" would have a SUPER HIGH DEMAND.

Interesting that there is new battery technology,, but, THAT new technology,, should come with a "quirk".

The quirk being that the electric companies ,, mostly for commercial customers, have set up a thing called "DEMAND" charge.
If the customer uses a large amount of energy, in a small period of time, that would be considered "HIGH DEMAND".
To be able to service this demand, the electric company had developed a special billing procedure.
If you use a big chunk of KWH's in a short time, they charge a premium.
That premium can easily cause the entire months bill to increase to 2X,, or more!
Something that "Charged like a Capacitor" would have a SUPER HIGH DEMAND.
not a concern for the solar side that I am interested in as I can only charge as fast as my panels and the sun will let me.

I would bet that they will use a current limiting device for commercial/home use. The idea being that for an EV you can roll up to a charging station and get filled up in a few short minutes.

‘Taiga is the maker of one of the world’s first electric snowmobiles, and has since applied the technology to personal watercraft as well. The company is at the forefront of a burgeoning electric recreation industry, which aims to reduce not only decibels and fumes but also reliance on fossil fuels that, when burned, contribute to climate change.

From the outside, the Taigas look nearly identical to their gas counterparts. But with the ability to go from 0 to 100 kilometers per hour — or approximately 62 miles per hour — in as little as 2.9 seconds, they have more torque than many combustion-engine sleds.’
(Washington Post)

Philbert

‘Taiga is the maker of one of the world’s first electric snowmobiles, and has since applied the technology to personal watercraft as well. The company is at the forefront of a burgeoning electric recreation industry, which aims to reduce not only decibels and fumes but also reliance on fossil fuels that, when burned, contribute to climate change.

From the outside, the Taigas look nearly identical to their gas counterparts. But with the ability to go from 0 to 100 kilometers per hour — or approximately 62 miles per hour — in as little as 2.9 seconds, they have more torque than many combustion-engine sleds.’
(Washington Post)

Philbert
OK, raise your hand if you agree,,
Women like to ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles,, because of the bugs flying past their ears,,,

Or is it something else??

Back