People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer your question about what I like about the 540i over the MSA220 - the Stihl has that crappy chain adjuster which really sucks. The Husky has standard bar nuts. The Husky also has a Battery Extender mode which helps and the batteries are a little cheaper. OTOH the Stihl batteries have more capacity.
Hah - well the other “complaint” I have about battery saws is I frequently forget to check the bar oil. With a gas saw you check it every time you add gas.
That’s a feature I really like on the MSA 300, the low oil light. Battery saws disrupt the add bar oil when refueling typical process.

Petrol or battery, they all cut flesh the same. Never underestimate just because they are quiet. It's the home owners biggest mistake (and some pros too)

I don’t have a lithium chainsaw but I have lots of DeWalt 20v tools. The reciprocating saw and 7-1/4 circular saw are downright amazing. My 6.0 batteries are 5 years old or so but to me don’t seem to be tired. A guy on eBay will replace the cells in your batteries, the reviews are good.

Petrol or battery, they all cut flesh the same. Never underestimate just because they are quiet. It's the home owners biggest mistake (and some pros too)
Yeah,tell me about it...
I almost cut my left foot a week ago with the makita 6100... Managed to "just" cut the protection shoes(thick leather) and the pants I was wearing up to my left knee... Still can't believe I got away with NO scratch or bruise... The very good sharped chain(irony, BY MY HANDS) stoped just shy of the knee cap... Amazing ,and I'm still in shock...
I will be A LOT more carefull next time I use this Makita 6100...

Those real little ones will bounce off your arm without doing much damage (Don't ask me how I know):)

I've looked at battery powered chainsaws and narrowed it down to Makita, Echo, and DeWalt. I need to research Toro's models- as a general rule I Like Toro products- but admittedly know little about their battery chainsaws.

Battery chainsaws can be a convenient addition to a stable of gas saws, but unless there is some major battery chemistry breakthrough in the near future, they're not capable of fulfilling the needs many of you pros require.

I contacted them about rebuilding my Oregon 40V battery packs (all good now) and my Redback 120V battery packs (couple of ‘dead’ ones and new NLA), just to see if they would do them. Here is their (edited) response:

‘Thanks for contacting us. We would be able to replace the cells in your Oregon batteries. Please see below for pricing. Unfortunately, we do not work on Redback battery packs.

40V / 2.4Ah @ $60
40V / 4.0Ah @ $120
40V / 6.0Ah @ $180’

So, it could be an option for some situations, but not for my Redback one.

Philbert

I contacted them about rebuilding my Oregon 40V battery packs (all good now) and my Redback 120V battery packs (couple of ‘dead’ ones and new NLA), just to see if they would do them. Here is their (edited) response:

‘Thanks for contacting us. We would be able to replace the cells in your Oregon batteries. Please see below for pricing. Unfortunately, we do not work on Redback battery packs.

40V / 2.4Ah @ $60
40V / 4.0Ah @ $120
40V / 6.0Ah @ $180’

So, it could be an option for some situations, but not for my Redback one.

Philbert
They are reasonable on DeWalt 20v packs. My 6.0s were pretty expensive new. Supposedly the cells are better quality than the original but I haven’t had one done yet.

For really popular tools, aftermarket batteries are also available. A neighbor was still buying replacement batteries for his 7.2V Makita drill a couple of years ago. He was satisfied with them.

Not sure if any of these O*P*E platforms are big enough to support that, down the road.

Chainsaws that run off contractor tool batteries (DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc.) have an advantage there.

Philbert

I had grilled Salmon with butter, dill and a dash of lemon last night with a side of Rice Pilaf.

Back