Perfect 3-saw plan... plus 1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I thought I was all done with buying saws, seeing as how I had the perfect 3-saw plan: Stihl MS 260, MS 460 and a Dolmar 143. With saws of 50cc, 77cc and 95cc displacement, I had it all covered, right? After all, I'm just cutting wood for fun up at the hunting camp cabin.

And then I saw this neglected Stihl 034 Super just sitting all alone in a garage, gathering dust. No one to care for it. No one to clean it up. No one to play with it. I picked her up and yes, compassion filled my heart. At least I believe it was compassion, not CAD. In fact, I'm certain it was compassion because I discerned that she was from a country that no longer existed on any map--West Germany--so she could probably never find her way back home again. And so I was moved to set this sad little saw free from its prison and bring it to a new home where it would have 3 other saws to keep it company, and where a guy named olyeller would take her for trips to the country where the downed oaks need slicing and dicing and burning.

She cleaned up quite nice for an old 61cc garage queen. Didn't need much at all; no fixing up, even the air filter looked good and the piston run-in but in great shape. She's wearing a 24-inch bar, but I think I'll treat her to a new 16-inch shorty so she can just let it all hang out--get just a little bit wild. The bigger saws have plenty of bar to go around so she can just romp about and have the fun jobs. I believe I'll also poke a couple or three holes into her muffler to let her breathe easier. Then we'll drive up to the ranch, cut wood until we're all tuckered out, and then just go off into the sunset with the other three saws, gather around the campfire, and tell tall tales over a cold premix or two--Jack D and vermouth, 32:1. Or should that be 50:1?

Don't you just love happy endings?

great job aquiring that saw. it may even fill the spot for "all around firewood getter" thats sorta where the 60cc class saw class shines. my 3 worksaw plan is incomplete, so far i have 026 and 044 i need to aquire a large saw.

Had one for years until it grew legs and ran off with my 460.Probably one of the best pcs. of machinery I've ever owned and was the only one that I was really upset about getting swiped. Scott

Nobel Saw Prize on its way I hope....

Well, I thought I was all done with buying saws, seeing as how I had the perfect 3-saw plan: Stihl MS 260, MS 460 and a Dolmar 143. With saws of 50cc, 77cc and 95cc displacement, I had it all covered, right? After all, I'm just cutting wood for fun up at the hunting camp cabin.

And then I saw this neglected Stihl 034 Super just sitting all alone in a garage, gathering dust. No one to care for it. No one to clean it up. No one to play with it. I picked her up and yes, compassion filled my heart. At least I believe it was compassion, not CAD. In fact, I'm certain it was compassion because I discerned that she was from a country that no longer existed on any map--West Germany--so she could probably never find her way back home again. And so I was moved to set this sad little saw free from its prison and bring it to a new home where it would have 3 other saws to keep it company, and where a guy named olyeller would take her for trips to the country where the downed oaks need slicing and dicing and burning.

She cleaned up quite nice for an old 61cc garage queen. Didn't need much at all; no fixing up, even the air filter looked good and the piston run-in but in great shape. She's wearing a 24-inch bar, but I think I'll treat her to a new 16-inch shorty so she can just let it all hang out--get just a little bit wild. The bigger saws have plenty of bar to go around so she can just romp about and have the fun jobs. I believe I'll also poke a couple or three holes into her muffler to let her breathe easier. Then we'll drive up to the ranch, cut wood until we're all tuckered out, and then just go off into the sunset with the other three saws, gather around the campfire, and tell tall tales over a cold premix or two--Jack D and vermouth, 32:1. Or should that be 50:1?

they call someone who works to promote goodwill and welfare towards man a philanthropist. I think this thread qualifies you as a saw-lan-thropist. Congrats!!:cheers:

Time to stop?

Thanks, guys. I thought my 3-saw plan with 50cc, 77cc and 95cc was just right and I didn't need a 61cc saw. I've read where other people in similar situations ended up getting rid of a 361 because there was no need for anything between a 260 and a 460. But then I read so many positive comments here on AS about the 034 Super and when I went to see it, the saw was in amazingly great shape for its age. When the guy offered a very good price I just couldn't resist so I decided I might as well make the purchase and give the 034 a chance to stretch its legs again.

This CAD thing is a lot of fun; searching for good deals gives you the thrill of the hunt, cleaning up a neglected saw is therapeutic and rewarding, and cutting wood--'nuff said! But I'm thinking I'd better stop at four saws... or maybe not!

Thanks, guys. I thought my 3-saw plan with 50cc, 77cc and 95cc was just right and I didn't need a 61cc saw. I've read where other people in similar situations ended up getting rid of a 361 because there was no need for anything between a 260 and a 460. But then I read so many positive comments here on AS about the 034 Super and when I went to see it, the saw was in amazingly great shape for its age. When the guy offered a very good price I just couldn't resist so I decided I might as well make the purchase and give the 034 a chance to stretch its legs again.

This CAD thing is a lot of fun; searching for good deals gives you the thrill of the hunt, cleaning up a neglected saw is therapeutic and rewarding, and cutting wood--'nuff said! But I'm thinking I'd better stop at four saws... or maybe not!

OY,

+1

Count me in that group. I think the 440/372/7900 weighs just a tad more than a 361 with gobs more power. To me, a 361 is a great saw in a 1 saw plan, but that's it.

ole joat

You, my friend, are a hopeless romantic. :D

This three-of-anything system sounds so perfect on the surface, but hardly ever works out, the proverbial three-legged stool being the only exception I can think of. Sure, in theory it's sound, but in practice . . . . Someone should ask Olyeller (who is a dear personal friend) how many motorcycles he's ended up riding thanks to his three-bike system. Or how many rifles he's owned thanks to his three-rifle scheme.

The only three-of-anything system I've seen succeed is the three-ex-wife system, which usually started out as the one-wife system and finished off at three just because the poor bastard couldn't survive four alimony payments.

--ML

You, my friend, are a hopeless romantic. :D

I'd prefer to shorten that: Just hopeless.

I had to find a way to rationalize my CAD impulse purchase so I tried the kindhearted approach. No go? No big.

I'm swearing off CL forever before I get buried in saws. Ok, maybe swearing off CL cruising for just this weekend. Maybe. Unless I find a REALLY good deal.

:dizzy:

Very nice saw. Did you mention how much the ransom was and I missed it?

I believe in the 4 saw plan, 2 big 2 small, in case one of either groups craps out on the job. I also believe in multiple additional spares at home.

Very nice saw. Did you mention how much the ransom was and I missed it?

I believe in the 4 saw plan, 2 big 2 small, in case one of either groups craps out on the job. I also believe in multiple additional spares at home.

$200. I think that was quite the deal considering it's in such great shape. I cleaned it up a bit more tonight and it's in even better condition than I first thought. Bar looks so good I figure it's the original chain, worn a little past halfway. All screw heads look untouched. Hardly any cutting wear, more like nicks and bumps from getting pushed around in the truck and the garage. And I like your 4-saw philosophy: 2 big, 2 small for just in case. That will be my new excuse for buying another saw. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back