Pick up truck load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarineScott

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a guy who wants to buy some of my wood, has an 8 ft bed on a F150.
What is a fair price for wood stacked in his truck? I see thrown loads on 6 ft beds going for $60.
Your opinions welcomed. I sold a little bit of wood 3 yrs ago for $150/cord and people wanted to talk me down. Too much work for lazy people!

level to the top of the box rails it should hold .66 cord. if selling a cord is 150.00 a cord common sense says 75.00 for half! if only buying a half cd. I charge 10.00 more for breaking up a full cd! where it lays is how much do you value your firewood? its all about the profit/bottom line friend ! sell it to for what makes you happy and "RICH".....

Sell buy cords or fractions of a cord only. This topic has been covered several times on here. Selling your wood in any other arrangement can leave you open for all kinds of trouble. He may show up with his F150 and load up a full cord then tell you "you said $60". Start with a full cord of stacked wood and load his truck until he has all he wants. Then do some calculating and charge him accordingly.

Around here an 8 foot truck load is $75 either tossed in heaped or stacked just above the rails. That works out to roughly 1/2 cord . That is for mixed hardwood, cherry, oak, and hickory bring $90, and softer low end wood is $50.

On a 6' box if tossed in heaping=1/2 cord.
An 8' box stacked to about the top of the window=full cord
Prices vary depending on your location.

I was gonna say $75 to $100 . I agree with selling only in cords , or fractions of a cord . When I sold firewood years back , I had people wanting me to sell them a rick . I said sorry , there is no measurement standards for a rick of wood . .People thought I was B.S.ing them . I had a print out of the definition from the dictionary with me to prove that I was being honest !!

rick (r
ibreve.gif
k)
n.
A stack of hay, straw, or similar material, especially when covered or thatched for protection from the weather.

On CL looks to be around your state 150-175 full cord delivered, so, he comes gets it, I would think the absolute most he would want to stack in a half ton would be half a cord. If you could get 75 bucks that would be a good price for you, pushing it for him. If you have a lot extra and don't mind getting rid of it and want the money, you could go down a little for him picking it up.

I heat my home solely on the wood I get, and was asked if I would sell some. I don't mind helping certain people out, but will not be taken advantage of.

Really depends on the species you are selling.

As dave_376 said, give him a price for a full cord and adjust price down depending on how much he loads.

Depends on your local market. I sell quarter cords stacked on skids for $100 and often get talked into selling for $90. Way more profitable than selling delivered cords. We usually help customer load if were not too busy.

Scott,i see you say stacked on his truck. on my 150 8'bed stacked is almost 3/4 cord.quailty dictates price ie species,ready to burn etc.i would think $100-125 is fair price. if he came to you wanting to buy your wood.....your in command. good luck.

I built a box that holds 1/4 cord of wood and it FILLS a 6 foot bed heaping and spilling when I dump it in.

Stack it tight and it is closer to 3/4 cord. Give them some kindling or small limbs to round it out. Sell it for $100.

In the state of Ohio to legally sell you have to do so in 1/4 cord increments. Just saying?

A loose tossed in load piled up high over rails on a Chevy with a full 8 ft bed is half a cord. .. A ford bed is about 2.5 inches deeper( but it would break in half first lol. ) .id charge the half cord price especially if its neatly stacked which of coarse could equal closer to 3/4 of a cord if stacked high enough .it is physically impossible to get a cord of wood in a 8 foot pickup bed unless it was stacked tightly and was stacked 4 feet high ( bed is not even 2 ft high ) which is impossible because it would fall off the sides after half that

A loose tossed in load piled up high over rails on a Chevy with a full 8 ft bed is half a cord. .. A ford bed is about 2.5 inches deeper( but it would break in half first lol. ) .id charge the half cord price especially if its neatly stacked which of coarse could equal closer to 3/4 of a cord if stacked high enough .it is physically impossible to get a cord of wood in a 8 foot pickup bed unless it was stacked tightly and was stacked 4 feet high ( bed is not even 2 ft high ) which is impossible because it would fall off the sides after half that

Of course there are racks...

Harry K

I have a guy who wants to buy some of my wood, has an 8 ft bed on a F150.
What is a fair price for wood stacked in his truck? I see thrown loads on 6 ft beds going for $60.
Your opinions welcomed. I sold a little bit of wood 3 yrs ago for $150/cord and people wanted to talk me down. Too much work for lazy people!
Today I sell thrown loads in an 8' bed in an F150 for $120, mounded up a little. These trucks can hold and carry about 90 cu ft of firewood. If packed, you might get 95 cu ft inside.

Look at my avatar. That packed load in a racked up 6' box Ford Ranger might hold 85 cu ft. That I sell for for $110. My colleagues say that I am nuts for selling it that low. Quality is also a major factor that the buyer must consider. You cannot beat the quality of ash, red elm, locust, oak, hickory, hard maple, or most of the berry woods. These should always sell for more. Take it from there.

I still contend that you can't even get 1/2 a cord loosely piled in any 6 foot bed. Full size pickup or not. Thats one heck of a mound. I would like to see a pic. Not to mention the fact you would about flatten the springs and bust the shocks on most of those over-hyped things they call trucks. Just sayin....

Loads like this will stack out to just over a "real" cord to give you an idea. You have to stack high and have the tailgate down if racks are not used on a standard 8 ft bed. These 3 loads stacked out at 3 1/2 cord. What others have said is spot on with a 1/2 cord being in a standard bed, stacked, tailgate up with no mound. Prices always depend on your area, supply and demand thing.

MVC-020F_1.JPG

MVC-022F_1.JPG

MVC-019F_2.JPG

a 6 foot bed of any make and manufacture will not hold a loosely tossed 1/2 cord. An 8 foot bed, yes. Not a 6 foot bed. When I say loose, I dump them sticks in there with a tractor loader. Not meticulouly loosely stacked. It's all about time savings my friend. I dump 1/4 cord in a 6 foot bed and we have to clean up the strays. It's a load on a compact truck they can barely handle. Double that amount with only a few more cubic feet and it does not work.

I guess mileage varies.....

Loads like this will stack out to just over a "real" cord to give you an idea. You have to stack high and have the tailgate down if racks are not used on a standard 8 ft bed. These 3 loads stacked out at 3 1/2 cord. What others have said is spot on with a 1/2 cord being in a standard bed, stacked, tailgate up with no mound. Prices always depend on your area, supply and demand thing.

MVC-020F_1.JPG

MVC-022F_1.JPG

MVC-019F_2.JPG
That's laughable . Looks like fodder for a Jeff fox worthy joke ..how far could you go before that old terd broke in half ..seems pretty foolish and dangerous to move wood that way I could only imagine what a cop would do if he saw that careening down the street loaded down like that. That's fine for a woods hauler but I hope it's not taken down the road like that

Latest posts

Back