Pick up truck load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what my load of firewood looked like loaded this past Sunday. I have not finished stacking it so dont have exact measurements but I will let you know how much I get. Chevy 2500 6ft. bed.DSCN8705.JPG DSCN8707.JPG DSCN8716.JPG Everything below the bed rails is all seasoned LOCUST!!!

Just stack your wood in two 4x4x4 stacks and load his truck off that? Not too hard and looks a ton nicer when he comes and picks it up...... doesn't matter how you or he stacks it in his truck 128cu ft per cord......

That's laughable . Looks like fodder for a Jeff fox worthy joke ..how far could you go before that old terd broke in half ..seems pretty foolish and dangerous to move wood that way I could only imagine what a cop would do if he saw that careening down the street loaded down like that. That's fine for a woods hauler but I hope it's not taken down the road like that

That "old terd " has hauled over 400 cord with no breakage yet. Replaced the axle BEFORE I retired it to a wood truck and it had 250,000 on it then. Those loads were moved about 200 yards but right at a cord is normal. Normal travel distance is about 8 miles on country roads and the cops wave at me and smile because they know me and how I drive. Sorry to disappoint you. Nothing wrong with working rednecks either by the way.

Loads like this will stack out to just over a "real" cord to give you an idea. You have to stack high and have the tailgate down if racks are not used on a standard 8 ft bed. These 3 loads stacked out at 3 1/2 cord. What others have said is spot on with a 1/2 cord being in a standard bed, stacked, tailgate up with no mound. Prices always depend on your area, supply and demand thing.

MVC-020F_1.JPG

MVC-022F_1.JPG

MVC-019F_2.JPG

Ouch! Those loads hurt just looking at them! Trucks today ain't built for that kind of use. You are absolutely right about cords of course, 4x4x8 tightly stacked or at the pulpwood mill fresh cut 5000 pounds of pine or 5500 pounds of hardwood last I knew which was a decade or three ago.

Pretty sure we are kin somewhere down the line. My dad figured a pick-up could hold whatever fit in or over the bed. One of my more interesting childhood memories is crossing the Mississippi River bridge, a narrow old high rise, with the front wheels of the pick-up in the air going up the incline hauling sand! The truck would also hold all the watermelons you could stack in an eight foot bed, half ton Fords were tough!

My brother bought a cord of wood from a friend's sons, a little high at the time delivered but what the hell. They backed up with a tossed in load of firewood that didn't reach the top of the pick-up truck bed. Their feelings were hurt when we laughed and ran them off. Been many a year since I loaded firewood to sell so I don't know about late model truck beds but a tightly packed rick(which is defined as a half cord around here) would be about one level of wood above the top of an eight foot truck bed in the seventies and early eighties.

Got to admit I made a minor miscalculation about weight once or twice myself. Bought a salvage yard and the warehouse was crammed with stuff that had been thrown in there, 50x90x20 or 24 feet tall walls and you had to literally climb through it. I had a three-quarter ton camper special, rated 7/8. I routinely toted considerably more. One of the old 300AMP welders and all the extras for a welding truck made it sit level and ride as nice as a Cadillac, which rode nice back then. I started stacking V-8 engine heads on that truck, tight like fire wood. First row was as high over the bed as I could come and still be locked in and no danger of breaking the back glass, tight behind the cab. I started on the second row and noticed the tail end of the truck was sitting down just a little with the weight well centered like that. Stopped that row level with the top of the bed. Went to the local scrap yard, 12,500 pounds tare! Might have been a little overloaded.

Most of the firewood peddlers around here would make two to three cords out of your honest cord.

Hu

Loads like this will stack out to just over a "real" cord to give you an idea. You have to stack high and have the tailgate down if racks are not used on a standard 8 ft bed. These 3 loads stacked out at 3 1/2 cord. What others have said is spot on with a 1/2 cord being in a standard bed, stacked, tailgate up with no mound. Prices always depend on your area, supply and demand thing.

MVC-020F_1.JPG

MVC-022F_1.JPG

MVC-019F_2.JPG

Obviously not a fair comparison. This is a Chevy. He asked what a Ford would haul. :ices_rofl:

Worst overload I was ever involved in was my buddies "pickup" in somewhere in the mid 50s. He had chopped the back half of the body off an old Plymouth sedan and put a platform back there. We moved a "Hyster" forklift on that thing 18 miles on the highway!!!

My heaviest was 23 #1 railroad ties I got for nothing when they were tearing out a RR line. 62 1/2 chev. I had to replace all 4 shocks and the u-joints after that one.

Harry K

Nice thread.
Cubic foot. I worked out a price sheet up here. It works out to a buck a cubic foot stacked, and like 75 cents tossed in. This gets it into the ballpark. I got tired of "1/2 cord" loads going outta here ;);) that were considerably over...

Overloaded pickups? Come on, you are hauling wood. Overload is the normal. 1 1/2 tons on a 1 ton all the time. Same for the 3/4 ton pickup, drive slower with single rear wheel. We have loaded over 4 tons on the deuce... it handles it nicely. That load of rail ties makes me laugh. I done the same thing with a old gmc. Let the clutch up and she did a wheel stand :rock:

about them cross ties. They were changing out cross ties on the railroad that ran along the highway seemingly all the way across north Texas. I was making regular midnight runs through there, getting off work and then running fifteen hundred miles in a weekend besides getting an eighteen wheeler load of alfalfa, sometimes loading it myself, just didn't leave much time for little things like sleep.

Sometimes I pulled a forty foot flat with tarps, sometimes I pulled a fifty foot van. I had used my share of used cross ties for corner posts and gate posts but here were thousands of cross ties brand new. Sure was tempting, throw fifty or a hundred of those puppies in the van, still plenty of room for hay.

Looked at those ties every trip, finally got the chance to heft one end of one. WOW! A brand new creosoted cross tie weighs well over 200 pounds!

Kept me honest anyway. Definitely a case of too lazy to steal.

I remember some of the old cars cut into a poor boy's pick-up. A forklift in one of those would be awesome to see.

Hu

Back