Picked up a jonsered 630 and 266xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the cylinder off the 630 and you guys called it. Rings are stuck

If they are thin rings they are NLA.....only option is to replace the piston or reuse...be very careful getting them off if you want to reuse them....you break one it's over. I would soak with Easy Off oven cleaner. It will dissolve the carbon. If the machine marks are still showing on the piston I doubt the rings are worn out.....just carboned up.....

Put it this way, so he are so carboned up I can slide the cylinder on and off the piston without compressing the rings. Maybe I'll take the piston off the crank and let it soak over night to try and get the carbon off

Piston looks in good shape, still had machine marks on it. Should I just re ring that piston or upgrade to a meteor single ring piston?

Caber lists rings for the 625 630 48mm X 1.5mm. These don't seem "thin" as stated above? maybe for Meteor piston?

Measure them up if you get them off. Stihl 036 uses 48mm X 1.2mm

Yep get em off carefully. Sometimes you can push them into the groove to help break loose the carbon. I am impatient so i usually shoot them with seafoam deep creep and poke them around till they free up. It wont hurt anything getting in the case but flush it out anyways. Awesome saws and my favorite series to build. I think a good runner with a base gasket delete runs right with 266 no problem.

@spike60 what is the thickness of the double thin rings for a j-red 630? I've got a new oem thin ring piston but finding rings is a b***h. Someone mentioned 036 rings?

I can't find my feeler gauges, I think they are at work so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to check but I'll let you know. What's a good tolerance to look for

If it's fairly close to that I'm going g to put it all back together and get it going until I can get all the parts I need foe the complete saw. I must say I like the jonsered carb on these. I like how the choke sets the high idle. As many parts as this saw needs might be a better parts saw. If it was just another saw I would use it as a parts saw but since it was one of my father's old saw I want a to make it complete . A closer look come to find out the fuel tank is cracked as well. I might need to find a parts saw to get my parts saw functional lol

Back