Picked up a jonsered 630 and 266xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the cylinders clean up those saws are good runners as is. Not an ideal 272 candidate as you will need the intakes and carb from a 272 to do a good job of it, other parts as well. The 266 and 630 have the same intake. 630 is the same top end as a Husqvarna 162 se. A well built 266 will surprise most people. They are both old enough they will need crank seals. I put a 266xp top end on a 268xp that was wiped out and It is very comparable. Aftermarket pistons are available for both, top ends are not.

So if I put a 272 top end on the 266 and used the 266 intake and carb I wouldn't get the full potential of the big bore?

The 630 has a twin thin ring piston. I still see the machining marks on the piston but the cylinder looks a little polished. Should I just clean the cylinder up and replace the piston

I believe a 266 carb is smaller. The 266 intake will not work on a 272 cylinder. As far as knowing about the piston and cylinder you would need to post some pics.

The 630 has a twin thin ring piston. I still see the machining marks on the piston but the cylinder looks a little polished. Should I just clean the cylinder up and replace the piston
I cobbled together an early 630. Used a pump, crank, clutch and some other odds from a 61 Husky. Those thin rings are tough to find. They also used a course threaded clutch and the two-piece ignition. I ended up using a Meteor and dropped the gasket. One stout saw now. They were revered for good reason.

Yeah I'm going to clean up the cylinder and replace the piston on the 630. I need some other parts though. I need a new handle bar and the complete chain brake assembly. The ignition wires are pretty dry rotted and where black tapped up so I think I'll replace that as well. Would anyone happen to have any Jonsered 630 parts they would part with?
A while back a bought a hutzl 272 p/c for my 268 but had problem with the coating coming off the cylinder so they are sending me another. I was think about putting it on the 266 if it all works out. If not I'll just clean the cylinder and replace the piston with that as well. How hard is it to replace they crank seals on both these saws?

The front handle is the same as 625 670 and husky 61 through 272. Many options there. Chain brakes will all interchange as well but the husky ones will be the wrong color. These saws are not hard to wire from scratch but all these saws with the one piece coil will wire the same.

A huztl cylinder kit isn't likely to make as much power as oem. And it definitely won't last as long. You may find that the oem cylinders on these saws make almost as much power as the huztl 272 kit.

These saws are really easy to work on. Replacing seals is highly suggested and easy to do.

I was playing with the 266 today, it only wanted like 3/4 of a turn on the high speed jet. I'm thinking it needs gaskets and seals

The front handle is the same as 625 670 and husky 61 through 272. Many options there. Chain brakes will all interchange as well but the husky ones will be the wrong color. These saws are not hard to wire from scratch but all these saws with the one piece coil will wire the same.

A huztl cylinder kit isn't likely to make as much power as oem. And it definitely won't last as long. You may find that the oem cylinders on these saws make almost as much power as the huztl 272 kit.

These saws are really easy to work on. Replacing seals is highly suggested and easy to do.

Well....to clarify... the Jonsered 625, 630 and 670 top handles are all the same and the 61 through 272 Husqvarna top handles are all the same as well but they do not swap between brands unless you also swap the gas tanks because of the difference in the mounting angle of the top handle itself. Also the chain brakes are not a direct swap from one brand to the other either. You COULD use a Jonsered cover on a Husqvarna without alteration but to use a Husky cover on a Jonsered it will need to be cut off right aft of the built in chip deflector in order to fit......very doable but not a direct bolt up.

Good advise on replacing the seals....I don't do any top end work on this family of saws without replacing the crank seals. When doing the seals DO NOT forget the O-rings.....on the older two piece ign. saws the flywheel side seal is mounted in a carrier that is held in place by three screws.....this carrier is o-ringed to the case. The PTO side seal is mounted in the oil pump body.... this too is o-ringed to the case. These are special sized O-rings.....not auto parts store o-rings.....must be had from Husqvarna. The o-rings and seals are identical from side to side. Cheap insurance to rule out any possibility of lower end air leaks. The later saws like the Jonsered Super IIs and the Husqvarna 268 and 272 with the one piece ign. did away the flywheel side seal carrier....the seal mounts directly in the case, so for those you only need the oil pump o-ring.

Well....to clarify... the Jonsered 625, 630 and 670 top handles are all the same and the 61 through 272 Husqvarna top handles are all the same as well but they do not swap between brands unless you also swap the gas tanks because of the difference in the mounting angle of the top handle itself. Also the chain brakes are not a direct swap from one brand to the other either. You COULD use a Jonsered cover on a Husqvarna without alteration but to use a Husky cover on a Jonsered it will need to be cut off right aft of the built in chip deflector in order to fit......very doable but not a direct bolt up.

Good advise on replacing the seals....I don't do any top end work on this family of saws without replacing the crank seals. When doing the seals DO NOT forget the O-rings.....on the older two piece ign. saws the flywheel side seal is mounted in a carrier that is held in place by three screws.....this carrier is o-ringed to the case. The PTO side seal is mounted in the oil pump body.... this too is o-ringed to the case. These are special sized O-rings.....not auto parts store o-rings.....must be had from Husqvarna. The o-rings and seals are identical from side to side. Cheap insurance to rule out any possibility of lower end air leaks. The later saws like the Jonsered Super IIs and the Husqvarna 268 and 272 with the one piece ign. did away the flywheel side seal carrier....the seal mounts directly in the case, so for those you only need the oil pump o-ring.
Good information, thank you. I might as well order 5 o rings and 6 seals. While I'm in the crank seal business I might as well do My 268 as well.another thing I learned is the fuel lines are different from my 268 to the 266. The 266 fuel line has a grommet build right on the fuel line.

Good information, thank you. I might as well order 5 o rings and 6 seals. While I'm in the crank seal business I might as well do My 268 as well.another thing I learned is the fuel lines are different from my 268 to the 266. The 266 fuel line has a grommet build right on the fuel line.

Yep the early saws across the whole family had that type of line.....PITA setup....lines are $10 or so.....the later saws went back to the normal fuel line type...$2...

I really like the 266xp, I'm hoping the 630 will be as impressive. But man these saws where neglected bad

I really like the 266xp, I'm hoping the 630 will be as impressive. But man these saws where neglected bad

It probably won't as it's 5cc smaller.....but depending on the condition of the thin rings it may surprise you as they were considered high performance and if in proper working order added better sealing, heat transfer and reduced friction as that was the reasoning behind them. Their drawback was that they didn't like overly oil rich fuel mix because that would carbon things up and the thin rings didn't have enough tension to overcome even moderate carboning and they could/would stick. I believe if they were around these days they would have a much better chance with full synth oils and proper mix ratios. I have a 630 Super with thin rings and it runs great with good power.

I got this Windsor bar to work on it, had to get a 72 link chain vs a 73

Attachments

• 20180222_130737.jpg
    20180222_130737.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Piston looks in good shape, still had machine marks on it. Should I just re ring that piston or upgrade to a meteor single ring piston?

Latest posts

Back