Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rescued this package the other day. Saw, two bars, two original manuals, an old grind-n-joint sharpener (anybody use these?),...etc. They are really nice looking saws in the flesh.
Any tips on increasing the longevity of the starter assembly? I understand with the coil it is often good today, gone tomorrow. So, I gather I should start hunting for a used one before I try to start it again. I think that I think this saw shouldn't be parked on a shelf but more like parked in the butt end of a log.

Cory

View attachment 356844 View attachment 356845 View attachment 356846 View attachment 356847 View attachment 356848 View attachment 356849 View attachment 356850 View attachment 356851
honestly I would not use that saw either, only @ GTG's incredible find!!

I bought mine new 1979 or 80 and took exceptional care of it. Yours makes mine look bad! It appears to be in NOS condition.
Lou
The guy bought the saw May 31, 1980 and the original bill of sale is stapled inside the first manual. $316.95. He used the saw for 1 year and it was stolen along with a some others. Insurance bought him a new one (hence the second manual). He used it to cut a couple cords of wood and it has sat since. The only thing worn are the decals on the bar. I am certain when I sharpend the chain it was over the original factory grind. I was compelled to buy it and had no idea he had an extra bar, case, chains, grinder etc as well. Let's just say that when I saw it and the fact he was willing to accept a little less than 1/3 1980's pricing I hyperextended my wrist reaching for my wallet. I would have bought 10 at that price. And like my wife always says..."you're losing money if you don't buy it...".

I would like to get some higher res. pics and post them as she is a beauty. And yes, if there is a GTG anywhere in this part of the world you are all more than welcome to have at her.

Thanks - Cory

That is a beautiful saw and a great find! Congrats.

Sent from my intellectually challenged "smartphone".....

Piston ring help, the ring on the left is a P60 the rings in the bag are P50. What are the rings in the middle? All came out of a bag marked pioneer rings. They are thin rings.
deze7y6u.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
well i wanted to let everyone know that i found out what the rings are for in the middle of the picture. Homelite 750. I matched them up with another set that i have perfectly, not sure why they were loose in the Pioneer bag.

I think you might be over that by now.
Pretty much. Went to a Provincial park down on Okanagan Lake and camped with the girls underneath some fat lakeside D. Fir for a couple of nights . I think I am ready to cut some wood again.
I am guessing that is your grandson there in your avatar Tim? He is already learning from one of the best.

Rescued this package the other day. Saw, two bars, two original manuals, an old grind-n-joint sharpener (anybody use these?),...etc. They are really nice looking saws in the flesh.
Any tips on increasing the longevity of the starter assembly? I understand with the coil it is often good today, gone tomorrow. So, I gather I should start hunting for a used one before I try to start it again. I think that I think this saw shouldn't be parked on a shelf but more like parked in the butt end of a log.

Cory

Cory, that's a beautiful Farmsaw!! I'd use it sparingly. Congrats!

Picked this up yesterday. It measures 44 x 74 inches. There is a small chip out of the bottom left corner otherwise it is in very good condition for approx 60 years old

Fantastic find J, it certainly retains its color and clarity. Another great piece for your museum!

Hi all.

Just started at looking at saws to replace my 1073. That saw needs a new bar/chain which is seeming difficult to find and I'd prefer to stick the money for a good combo into a new Husky instead.

The important (to me) specs from the 1073 are:
Displacement: 51.4cc
HP: ?
Weight: 9lb. 10oz. (powerhead only)

Does anyone know what hp the 1073 was rated at? I can't find it anywhere and I don't have much of a comparison without that.

I've been looking at the husky 440e, 450, 550xp (not likely). I'm looking for comparable power or more, as this is my one do it all occasional use saw. The 440e is about the same weight, the 450 is a little heavier.

Any suggestions on how new compares to the old 1073? I'm wondering if a new 40cc saw can hang in with the old saw? Time marches on....

Thanks!

take your bar to a good shop, they should be able to match it up... have 1074's, not many modern 40cc id trade for unless it was to flip the new ones...
I understand that there is passion for the Pioneer saws and the willingness to keep them running. After all that's the point of this thread.

I've made the decision to update my saw for a number of reasons though so I am still looking for a comparison between the 1073 and some of the saws I listed. I was hoping to come here to find people with both old and new who can make that comparison.

Thanks.

I understand that there is passion for the Pioneer saws and the willingness to keep them running. After all that's the point of this thread.

I've made the decision to update my saw for a number of reasons though so I am still looking for a comparison between the 1073 and some of the saws I listed. I was hoping to come here to find people with both old and new who can make that comparison.

Thanks.
I would purchase a Husqvarna 350, 450 and or a Stihl 290, you will be fine with either one.

I would purchase a Husqvarna 350, 450 and or a Stihl 290, you will be fine with either one.
I'd be careful with a 350. I own and really like my Husky, but the 350 had more problems with engine muffler threads failing than any other 5 saws combined. If you search for chainsaw+thread+insert, 99% of the returns will be 350s.
My 359 has a short hose between the carb and intake that has 2 failures I'm aware of (mine once (new 2006) and someone else's). When I note a wet intake it's time to replace that hose. Not a big deal if you correct it before the run lean occurs.

Thanks.
if I had to buy a non pro 50cc, id be tempted to go poulan pp5020. there was a thread at one time on those here... g'luck...

I can't find a spec for 1073 hp, but any of those saws you listed will most likely cut as well or better.

Its all about RPM. A 1073 made max power @ 7500 rpm, new saws turn close to twice that. Muffler bolts notwithstanding, a 350 husky would be a good choice.

Your 1073 is easy to find a bar for, they take an Oregon KO95, which is a very common bar mount.

Latest posts

Back