Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some work on these puppies over the weekend i ready had two of them a 3071 and 3200 picked up 3 others about a month ago another 3071- 2400super and 14-50
all working

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Does the oil pump just pry off the case after the 3 screws come out? P41. I didn’t wanna get crazy and brake anything. Tia

It does but the gear on the crankshaft is a press fit. There is a special tool to get that off.

I use a couple of large screwdrivers to very carefully pry it off. Be careful not to pry in the thread area as the gears crack easily.

There is no stop for the gear when you put it back on so measure and record how far down the crankshaft it needs to be so you can install it in the correct location.
I think a few guys made tools out of pipe fittings. Maybe they can chime in.

Gave the farmsaw a nos bar. Sure ties it together! Crank Seals came in for the p41, guess I’ll learn how to do that this week.

Farmsaw looks great ! Still want one . Did you get the bar from slacker Steve ? You taking p41 back down for crank seals? I just include them in any build . Most of the saws we like are 30, 40 to 50+ years old . Seals are cheap insurance .

Farmsaw looks great ! Still want one . Did you get the bar from slacker Steve ? You taking p41 back down for crank seals? I just include them in any build . Most of the saws we like are 30, 40 to 50+ years old . Seals are cheap insurance .
Haven’t called mr Steve yet, This ones off the BAY. And ya it didn’t wanna take a tune it seems so gunna do seals and I’ll jimmy a vac test up. Finally found my vacuum bleeder

It does but the gear on the crankshaft is a press fit. There is a special tool to get that off.

I use a couple of large screwdrivers to very carefully pry it off. Be careful not to pry in the thread area as the gears crack easily.

There is no stop for the gear when you put it back on so measure and record how far down the crankshaft it needs to be so you can install it in the correct location.
I think a few guys made tools out of pipe fittings. Maybe they can chime in.
What about a bit of heat tim? For reinstall I can just throw the saw out side for an hour, plenty cold out there lately. Thx fir the tips

Didn't need it Just be careful. Install is just slowly and carefully tap it on with a socket.
It's not hard. Just go slow. The inside of the gear has threads also and it's very thin in some areas.
You guys rock! Just like you said, worked the gear off with couple screwdrivers, everything went back together good. Tackle the flywheel side tonight.

Is a P51 or P52 NOS top end more desirable? I would say P52 because it is the same as 525 correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd guess a 52 is more desirable because they have different ignition modules that can still be had. The 51 ignitions are so hard to find that I'd think the jugs would be bringing scrap metal prices!

But, if a guy didn't know a 52 would fit on a 51 and the difference in the ignitions, maybe he'd pay top dollar for a 51 top end.

There was a NOS 51 jug on eBay for what seemed like a couple years. I think the guy was asking $149.00 or close to it. Don't know if it finally sold or the seller finally gave up.

But if you have some 51 jugs that you're looking to give away, I'll bet you'd find some takers on this thread!

I have a question I would like to get to the bottom of and I think there is enough of us Pioneer fellows on here to get to the end all of this problem with the Farmsaw recoil direct swap or any swap that would make a functioning workable setup. I have stated more than once that there was no other recoil from another Pioneer model that would swap on directly but recently I have been called out on this and I am all ears if this can be done , but I need proof before I can accept it as gospel.
It has been posted that the recoil from a P41 will bolt up to a Farmsaw, that is a possibility but I know it won`t work with the Farmsaw flywheel. If a P41 flywheel was swapped in then its possible they would work together but that raises the next question, the Farmsaw module is very different from the P41 two piece ignition so will the P41 flywheel fire at the correct timing ? Seeing as the P41 has a different mounting position on the P41 cylinder it puts the module at a different location in relationship to the flywheel on a P41 than the blue Prestolite module would on a Farmsaw when using a Farmsaw module and cylinder.
I know this is a bit far out there and by the time one has to find and swap in the recoil, flywheel, possibly the P41 cylinder to get the correct mounting bosses/location and the two piece ignition there is very little left of the original Farmsaw. It has always been said you can do anything if you spend enough money and time but I would like to get this question settled now before I respond in a big way to the guy that is calling me out. If I currently had a P41 here I would take the time to pull it down and try the swap but I don`t currently have one here so just going from memory I may be missing something.

I have a question I would like to get to the bottom of and I think there is enough of us Pioneer fellows on here to get to the end all of this problem with the Farmsaw recoil direct swap or any swap that would make a functioning workable setup. I have stated more than once that there was no other recoil from another Pioneer model that would swap on directly but recently I have been called out on this and I am all ears if this can be done , but I need proof before I can accept it as gospel.
It has been posted that the recoil from a P41 will bolt up to a Farmsaw, that is a possibility but I know it won`t work with the Farmsaw flywheel. If a P41 flywheel was swapped in then its possible they would work together but that raises the next question, the Farmsaw module is very different from the P41 two piece ignition so will the P41 flywheel fire at the correct timing ? Seeing as the P41 has a different mounting position on the P41 cylinder it puts the module at a different location in relationship to the flywheel on a P41 than the blue Prestolite module would on a Farmsaw when using a Farmsaw module and cylinder.
I know this is a bit far out there and by the time one has to find and swap in the recoil, flywheel, possibly the P41 cylinder to get the correct mounting bosses/location and the two piece ignition there is very little left of the original Farmsaw. It has always been said you can do anything if you spend enough money and time but I would like to get this question settled now before I respond in a big way to the guy that is calling me out. If I currently had a P41 here I would take the time to pull it down and try the swap but I don`t currently have one here so just going from memory I may be missing something.

Hi Jerry,

I just pulled the Farmsaw recoil off and tried the P 40 and P41 recoils. The P40 mounting bolts didn't quite line up but the 41 went onto the farmsaw no problem The flywheels are the same diameter and depth (or as close as I could get my vernier in there) on the P41 and Farmsaw so if the taper on the crankshafts are the same the flywheel should swap.
As far as the module goes, I would try the original module from the farmsaw to see if that worked. There's also a thread where a guy used a Chinese husky module using some brackets on a larger P series with great results. I tried a Chinese coil that Chris (DSS) gave me that is for a variety of Husky's on my Farmsaw with a few simple brackets and it worked like a charm as well even though the module laminations where only 1/2 over the magnets. It also worked very well on a Homelite XL-76.

Anything else you want measured while I have the covers off?

Latest posts

Back