Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

Lets say this 650 does not look like much and I like to leave it this way,as its my sleeper saw. It is the only 600 series saw that I have worked the internals over on and i will say that not much is stock. It is a beast with that big bar and a razor sharp 404 chain that can make a rooster tail that you don`t want to stand in the way as the chips hurt like heck. I take it out once in a while and let it rip on some really big hardwood and its a handfull. It is really hard on clutches and someday I will have to modify a heavier clutch setup for it but for now I have enough NOS clutches for a couple more runs, Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the info Propliner. I was aware that the oil pump was not on the flywheel side,I originally wanted the flywheel off to clean all the sawdust and dirt from behind it.It was only when I was looking down at the top side underneath the air filter cover in that little compartment ahead of the carb that I only noticed the fuel line and no other lines.On the P25 I have there is also a oil line coming up and out that compartment to the bar. The reason I thought the absence of an oil line was strange because I thought the P25 and P20 were similar saws as well as the 1073 which I also have and has an oil line.Am I making any sense,or am I really out there?As you know i am a rookie at this.If you have anything to add to my situation please feel free to straighten me out.

On the P25 that hose is a fuel tank vent hose. It comes out the top of the fuel tank, across the front carb compartment and travels out a hole to the right side. It's a funny setup as it vents into an area that is always full of sawdust. If there is a fitting on your P20 under the cover then just add a section of 1/4" hose and route it accordingly. If there is no fitting then I wouldn't worry about it too much, there were two vent systems used and that one might not include a hose. I'll look into it further today.
Propliner.

Propliner

Thanks for your continued support with this P series thing.Today I am going to really give these saws a look over,maybe even take pics and post some if my wife will help or daughter or son.Look forward to anything you have to add.
PS. Did you get my last PM
Lawrence

Pioneerguy600 Pics

As allways Jerry your pictures are great to look at and read about.How many saws did you say you had?
Lawrence

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

This is the saw blackoak asked about a couple of posts back, it is a Pioneer Holiday 1110. It only has a stack and not a muffler so they are very loud,really need your ear plugs and PPE caps.It has very high compression and its bark is very loud. Made in 1967 it is a 58 cc saw.
Pioneerguy600

Well guy`s I am going to leave it to the other Pioneer saw owners to post some pictures of their saws as you have seen most of mine. I will post the picts of my 1948 IEL that were the first set I posted but they were of the smaller size picts and don`t show the detail the larger picts show.

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

This is the saw blackoak asked about a couple of posts back, it is a Pioneer Holiday 1110. It only has a stack and not a muffler so they are very loud,really need your ear plugs and PPE caps.It has very high compression and its bark is very loud. Made in 1967 it is a 58 cc saw.
Pioneerguy600

Yep, that looks just like the one I had. I wonder what the old timers used for ear plugs, rolled up maple leaves:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: With the Holiday name and the white paint and red trim, I always called it my Christmas saw.

Last edited:
Jerry.
Very impressive looking saw. Does the bar rotate on this saw, or is it one piesc?I noticed a big brass looking pin up front of the big nandle, and I was wondering if that was the locking pin, for the bar to rotate. Thanks. Bruce.

Hi Bruce; The bar does not rotate on this old saw but the carb,rear handle and gas tank do and there is a lever at the rear handle that unlocks/locks that section.If you look at the top photo of the saw ,just behind the pull cord there is a brass collar and that is where it rotates. Most of the float type carb IEL saws did this until they went with the Tillotson HL carb in 1955 on the model HM. That brass pin is the oil pump push rod manually operated. The chain oil is put in the front handle by removing the brass plug in the upper left hand corner.I will take photo`s of it rotated and post them. I find the old saws more interesting and I can see the improvements in each newer model as they are more pronounced in the older saws as they progressed from the old two man giants to the one man saws. The saw like mine , model B prototype was the worlds first one man chainsaw made in 1944 in Vancouver B.C. and then came the model B or Beaver as we affectionally call it with a lot of improvements. The model AB like mine was the next step as they started to make an all sand cast component saw. If you ever get a chance you should go over to the Mike Acres site under Chainsaw Collectors and check out the IEL saws as he has all the saws listed and pictures of them and sometimes adds comments on their improvements on each newer model.
Pioneerguy600

Pioneerguy600

I have one like that too, it's my only pioneer next to the 600. You are right about them being loud :censored:

I have one like that too, it's my only pioneer next to the 600. You are right about them being loud :censored:

Hi Roland; With a stack and that high compression they must be one of the loudest saws ever. The larger displacement saws had a deeper growl to them but these have a very sharp bark.:censored: LOL.
Pioneerguy600

I have a Holiday too, and believe me, it's no holiday! It's down with a split oil line right now, but the whole saw has to come apart to replace it. Pretty much the most evil saw to work on I've come across yet. I find the big 'P' series saws really nice to work on, though.

On another note, can any of you tell me or show me picture of the bar mount pattern on the 3270? I have one that I need to put a bar on.

Last edited:
I'll do some digging when I get a chance propliner. Been too busy with other stuff to look into it real close. From what I've seen it has the adjuster pin in the same slot as the bar studs, and 5/16" studs. In this neck of the woods, being as it's a 70 some odd cc saw, I'd think it should be about a 24" bar.

I'll do some digging when I get a chance propliner. Been too busy with other stuff to look into it real close. From what I've seen it has the adjuster pin in the same slot as the bar studs, and 5/16" studs. In this neck of the woods, being as it's a 70 some odd cc saw, I'd think it should be about a 24" bar.

The problem with Pioneer bars is that they had their own particular mounting style and it makes it difficult to find bars for them, the bars from the 600 series fits them if I remember correctly. I can take out some of the NOS bars I have and do any measurements you might require, just let me know. Pioneerguy600

Pioneer, What Else!

I think this thread has developed from a let's see your pictures of Pioneers,to an everything about Pioneer's.Am I right about this?Is there a thread on ArboristSite like that already? If not then maybe we could keep this going in this direction.Pioneer Pictures,Question about pioneers ie.company history,mechanical questions,just plain anything Pioneer. While I'm on the subject,where does all the machinery go that's used to make the Pioneer's when they cease operations?Does it just sit in some warehouse gathering dust,maybe scrap metal.Someone must have these answers.Let me know about the thread thoughts.Hey it not all about me, it's all about us!
Lawrence

Last edited:
Suites me fine,I can sit all day and talk Pioneer saws. They were my first saws and I have been involved with them for43 years. The only ones I have little experience on is the later P series and the Pioneer Partners. Love the early stuff from 1944 to 70 and have a handful of them. So keep it coming,picts ,discussions or guidance we all can contribute something. Pioneerguy600

Pioneer was manufactured by OMC ( Outboard Marine Corp,) in Peterborough Ontario so as the Machinery became redundant it was often sold for scrap or at scrap prices. The machinery for the P series saws was not worn out when they phased the production out but I have no idea where it went. It could be retooled to make other parts for the outboard motors so maybe it was absorbed by Evinrude or Johnson , anyones guess. Pioneerguy600

Back