Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried Mike Acres web site (acresinternet.com) ?
It's possible the serial number might cross to a model number (no promises).
That web site has answered many questions I've had over the years but to be honest so has this one!
GL
Lou

Yup I was on that site and others looking this stuff up for an exhausting amount of hours. I could never find its number anywhere. Serial number: 449098
If anyone else can I'd be grateful.
As for now the saw is modernised with a new bar and matching chain from Oregon. See my prior post for what I've done to it.
Still, I need bucking spikes, which it has none of currently.
Also, a new air filter and muffler with gasket.

Thanks, Adam

Hi,

I just inherited a Pioneer Holiday chainsaw. My dad had got it back in 1980. I was just given it this past Father's Day in 2023.

Currently it has a 22inch Windsor bar that has a 10 tooth replaceable sprocket, is .050 gauge and .404 pitch.
The chain is Oregon and has "50" printed on the drive links. When I looked up what this "50" meant, I see that it is a .404 pitch chain with .050 gauge. I also counted that it has 64 drive links.
The sprocket on the saw itself has 8 teeth.

It's my mission to modernize it now.

So far I have bought an Oregon 20inch, .050 gauge, 3/8 pitch, 72 drive link VersaCut bar that has a K095 bar mount pattern.
Item number: 200VXLHK095

Also, bought a matching Oregon PowerCut chain.
Item number: 72LPX072G

New Champion CJ8 spark plug.

Now the biggest problem is the sprocket. The current sprocket has nothing printed on it so I have no way to know for sure what part number it is, moreover, what pitch it is. Only thing I know is that it has 8 teeth! I have to believe it's a .404 pitch because of the matching bar and chain currently on it. However, I cannot find any reference to 8 teeth sprockets on the internet or eBay that are .404 pitch and related to Pioneer saws. Everything I found with .404 pitch has 7 teeth. I'm thinking that it is a 3/8 pitch sprocket as this is what's indicated as OEM from www.acresinternet.com

I have one major problem right now. HOW do I get the old sprocket off?

Any words of advice here and I'd be grateful.

Thanks, Adam
You reminded me I have one of those white beauties in waiting.

You reminded me I have one of those white beauties in waiting.

Your original sprocket is .400 Pitch -7 tooth for the Holiday for Holiday W,Y,G,, The original part number would have been 507-471508 but it did sub up a few times 507- 474449, 507-475412.
The model 11-10 had a optional segment rim sprocket 507-471563 availiable which sub to use 507-429957 , .404Rim Segment, 7 tooth

Maybe you could add a bit oheat on the clutch driver with a heat gun and a 2 jaw puller to get that clutch off the chaft.

I mostly finished restoring this one. I got some grey Acryglow from work so sprayed the handles and covers. New piston, cylinder, flywheel, carb, and many other parts. I haven't done the starter cover so I'll just use an old yellow one until I can find a good one. Yes, I did the clutch cover in grey... I like it. Industrial!

RDZLDEN.jpeg

GcAcuvE.jpeg

I have decided to restore a Pioneer P50 saw that was given to me. Guy said it would not run, and not having a coil is probably the reason. I was just wondering if all these saws were electronic ignition. Also, any thoughts on buying a used coil? Or can I source a new one somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help. I will probably be asking for more help before this is over.

Pioneer chainsaws often have problems with the coil.
I don't know whether you have a bad or zero coil. And I cannot tell you what coil you need if yours is missing.
I can tell you they are very susceptible to ignition problems/failure if subjected to moisture of any kind!!!
I had good luck by baking my Farm saw coil at 200 °F for 12 hours. My saw is now stored in my garage about 3 feet above the concrete slab. I do once in a blue moon give her a tug and the plug does spark. She is now my back-up saw and never failed me except when I stupidly stored her on the ground at a GTG in Oregon. I have 2 Husqvarna's that I use unless I get them stuck in a tree. I haven't needed to use her for a many years.
Good luck.
Lou

Pioneer chainsaws often have problems with the coil.
I don't know whether you have a bad or zero coil. And I cannot tell you what coil you need if yours is missing.
I can tell you they are very susceptible to ignition problems/failure if subjected to moisture of any kind!!!
I had good luck by baking my Farm saw coil at 200 °F for 12 hours. My saw is now stored in my garage about 3 feet above the concrete slab. I do once in a blue moon give her a tug and the plug does spark. She is now my back-up saw and never failed me except when I stupidly stored her on the ground at a GTG in Oregon. I have 2 Husqvarna's that I use unless I get them stuck in a tree. I haven't needed to use her for a many years.
Good luck.
Lou
Thanks. Coil is missing altogether from mine. Top end looks excellent so I think it might be worth fixing, if only for a shelf rider. New fuel lines and a carb rebuild should get her going, and a new muffler at some point. Might be a fun winter project.

I have only seen electronic modules in the P50`s, it uses the same module as the P51 and P60, Pioneer part number 431484. They are rather difficult to find as they are rare to find good working ones these days. Like Lou has said they are susceptible to moisture getting inside them and electronic parts and moisture do not get along well together.Most guys with Pioneers sort of like to hold on to spares so the market is scarce for them, eBay and Chainsawr has parts occasionally but they are snapped up very quickly.

Some P50's came with a one-piece coil and some came with a 3-piece module which included a condenser. They both used the same flywheels.
Mj0TWBZ.jpeg

6x86lKT.jpeg
Were the 3 piece early models? Same as the ones used on the P41? I have only seen one piece units in my area and only a handful of those, they were not a saw commonly found down here.

Yes, the early ones from around 1975-1977 had 3-piece and the later 1977 had 1-piece. The next-gen P-51's had the one-piece as well.
Thanks for that, my literature does not cover that and my limited experience with this size/model I had not seen one with the three piece unit, I saved one set just in case I ever came across a saw needing it.

Numerous Prestolite coils on Ebay listed here locally $40 one piece units that fit both P50 & P51 Pioneers . I had to replace one on my P20 & stocked one for my 11-60 & P51 a few yrs back . I agree , with keeping the vintage saws in a controlled dry environment , also buy some electronic moisture resistant spray and give your coils a spray every few yrs its a good investment for bikes , sleds & atv's also .

Back