Placing hot ash into tractor loader bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefs584ever

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Going to empty the built up ash out of my CB 6048 today and normally haul with a wheelbarrow. Wondering if any of the tractor guys put it in your loader buckets to haul it. That is the method I would like to start doing, but I am a bit worried of the heat migrating to the hydraulic cylinders and damaging the seals.

Tractor guys, have you ever seen damage when hauling hot things in the loader bucket?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

If you don't mind a bit of steam, etc when doing it, you could always put some water in the bucket first.

At a previous employer we would use cold path to do asphalt repair except we turned it into "hot" patch by putting it in the loader bucket, adding gas, and setting it on fire. Never had a problem with damage to the loader.

Been using my loader bucket for many years with no issue. Your bucket gets warmer in the summer than the outside will be with a load of ashes.

Do it. The heat will not migrate enough to hurt your cylinder seals. I doubt if it will even hurt the paint on the outside of the bucket. I was an operator and I cleaned pour pits in a steel mill every week. There was red hot metal over pour laying in the pit along with hot foundry sand. The heat never hurt anything. This was done with a track loader, then over time an excavator. We also used to take hot asphalt and carry and spread it with backhoes and skid loaders. Asphalt is over 400 degrees when processed. If you are in doubt, start to load the bucket and feel around to check for heat. Just dump it if you feel uncomfortable. I do recommend sprinkling water on top to make a crust before transport. It will be very dusty depending on wind, hitting bumps, ect..

I'd be more concerned with ash getting through the air cleaner. Ash particles are pretty small.

The only thing I'd worry about is hot ashes or coals getting blown to where they'll light something up.

i use my skid loader bucket every time, never had a problem.

Thanks for the feedback. Supposed to rain in SE Iowa tomorrow. That will be the best time to do it. Settles the dust as well as lowers the burn risk while hauling.

Going to empty the built up ash out of my CB 6048 today and normally haul with a wheelbarrow. Wondering if any of the tractor guys put it in your loader buckets to haul it. That is the method I would like to start doing, but I am a bit worried of the heat migrating to the hydraulic cylinders and damaging the seals.

Tractor guys, have you ever seen damage when hauling hot things in the loader bucket?

Thanks

I do it all the time with my bobcat bucket.

Don't put the ash on your garden if you burn trash or scrap building materials such as OSB and plywood. You don't want the dioxins where you grow food.

As far as hot ashes. Cat sells tracked loaders to the steel mills to move hot slag. Other that some heat shields on the belly pans to keep the hydraulic hoses inside from burning. These loaders are actually running up on the hot slag piles. Much worse than some ashes

I work at a steel mill. We have Komatsu loaders that scoop piles of materials that are well over 1500 degrees. Once they are done, they get a load of cold iron ore to cool the buckets down prior to loading coal for obvious reasons.

However, these machines are much much larger than any skidloader or compact/utility tractor and have much more steel to soak up the heat.

That being said, I place my hot ashes into a 55 gal steel drum and let them cool for a week prior to moving them with my 4600 John Deere. I wouldn't hesitate to place hot ashes in my bucket though.

Latest posts

Back