points question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I switched the 028 over I also changed the flywheel to the 036. fit and fired great, only problem was the cover inside the recoil rubbed. I ended up just using the 036 module and the 028 flywheel, and replacing the inside cover for proper cooling air flow.
wires, theres only 2. the yellow/green one hooks to ground and the other end to the switch. the black hooks into the switch cam itself and the other end goes to the tang on the coil. just a ground to kill the coil. remove the points and condensor and the 2 wires that go thru the rubber grommet under the flywheel. you no longer need them.
edit: clean the contact part of the flywheel and the coil, I've seen them rust, and set the coil, I always used a playing card between the flywheel and coil for gap.
-Ralph

Last edited:
Pest , yes the wires and components are removed . Will now try the afore mentioned suggestions and keep you abreast of results . Thanks a bunch fellas . Normally I just run em and do normal maintenance but occasionally dive in . My rebuiling is limited only to Jonsereds ........

pics

as promised.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I never started it. it still has the recoil off of it and no piston and cylinder either. just rebuilt the carb and installed the points tonite before suppertime.

but thatss good info to know. its my first set of points, and they are something to set, when the lobe is on the part you took off for access, and once the part is on, theres no reaching the points.....
so I expect some trial and error on the running. the adjustments mentioned will be most helpfull.
-Ralph

There is a tool for this from Stihl. It is a cam lobe with a keyway and a knurled ring for turning the crank, so you can set the gap correctly with the flywheel off, and I think the manual even goes into setting the timing with a light or dial indicator. It has been too long...
I have the cam in the tool box, and I will rustle up the part number if you want it, just let me know. The manuals are in the shop and I am too tired to go there now!

Latest posts

Back