Poison ivy less potent in winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years back I was bailing hay, one edge of the field was solid ivy. The worst of the bales, I kicked into the woods. That winter, feeding out that hay, I got poisen ivy. Even dry, it'll get you!

i use tide detergent on all areas of skin that were exposed during my climb, it leaves the skin mildly irritated for a few hours but zaps the ivy and leaves me mountain fresh

some peolpe get it while some do not also..

I swear I get it just by looking at it.. LOL
I had it so bad one time while I was young it covered my entire body.

My wife on the other had, can grab ahold of it with her bare hands and not get any at all. If I find a vine on a tree, she will come out and grab it, pull it off ( all the while I watch from afar LOL) and she will go back inside with me still out there shaking my head, and nothing at all for her.. she never gets it. :clap:

I am waiting for the day her body chemistry finally changes...:greenchainsaw:

allergy

The physician who did the Retin A studies is the same one who did the definitive work on urisol back in the 1950's.

He came to the conclusion that if a large population was exposed to enough urisol that eventually 95% would get the rash. But that last 5% wouldn't and he didn't know why.

Of course we still don't understand why the immune system works the way it does.

Your sister may never get it.

My brother did. Yes!

The real kicker is it's wasted firewood. Hmmm strip the bark off :jawdrop:

It's funny to see this thread this evening ~ Well, not really funny. :cry:

I am currently into my third day of a 12 day course of steroids for severe poison ivy.

That post from last week on the Black Locust tree? Yep, it was loaded with PI vines. I even cut the vines in the beginning of October, to help with the sap.

The tree was felled a week ago today, and I worked on it a couple of other days last week.

I currently have poison ivy over most of both wrists and forearms, up the back of my right arm, on both hands, on my face in two places, on both legs, my right foot, and a dab on my stomach.

It's going away but what a pain - literally. This is the second time I have gotten PI like this in the winter. Have never gotten it this bad in the summer.

:buttkick: Man I look at the stuff & have a severe reaction. Swelling all over arms,face, neck,hands or any part contacted. Take some good advice from the old guy----go to the doctor & get a corti-steroid shot( a dose & 1/2). The stuff will dry out in 3 days. The tablet regiment helps but it ain't no cure. Live better thru drug consumption or whatever.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Guaranteed results :clap: :clap: :clap:

There's a product on the market, I think it's called Ivarest, or something. Should be next to the calamine lotion at the store. Anyway, you put it on your skin before you work with/around any of your rash giving plants. Works great. A woman I worked with would get it so bad she looked like Rocky after 15 rounds vs Apollo Creed. Both eyes swelled shut once for two days. She uses this poison ivy preventer and swears by the stuff.

And yes, you can still get it during the winter. I would always wear an old cover all and gloves, then just toss it in the trash before getting back into the truck. Someone wrote about being careful burning the stuff, as you can in fact get poison ivy in your lungs. Sounds very unpleasant.

The more I think about it, I remember a guy who died from it when I was a kid. It was at least 30 years ago, so not sure what treatments were available. He was clearing brush in the winter, which included alot of poison ivy/sumac. I think he basically coughed himself to death. Sounds like a nasty way to go.

ive been in the stuff for 50 yrs and almost never have a reaction. the only exception is when/how i take a leak. have to b very careful in the sensitive area there. and thats not funny:censored: :censored:

I used to never get it.

The first time was when we burnt out a fence row on the farm. Working in a bunch of smoke that day. I think I was 9 or 10 years old.

Ended up in the Emergency room and taking many treated baths for relief. I am told it was all over my person, under armpits, personal areas, in my ears, eyes, nose, etc. For some reason, I don't remember much about it. ~ Thankfully! ~

Now I get it at every whip stitch.:(

Well I'm going to chunk the tree down to start of PI then drop the 10 ft. piece and cut it into 3 section load it(carefully) in the truck and take it to the landfill. Hit the dump body and let them worry about it.

I've got a cheery tree in my yard that I've been avoiding due to the ivy but now it's just in the vine stage is it better to remove tree now. I'm really trying to avoid getting that crap all over my gear. .

I used a Ive Killer by Bayer (bought it at HomeDepot). Cut the ive back with a hachet, and when the new frest leaves grew in sprayed the leaves. The ive started drying up in a couple of days, kills the roots so be careful how much U use it is potent :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :jawdrop: . Took out a little grass with it too.

Latest posts

Back