Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennertree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yep, not the rope but the real stuff. This might have been covered before so just in case it hasnt i will ask. Does anyone know of a prevenitive to poison ivy? I can wollar in the stuff and just barely get it however, my employee who just started working with me in november, gets it by just looking at it. I'm not talking just a spot here and there, but all over. It seems to spread too and gets worse after he just gets it on his arms. If anyone knows of anything that will help let me know. I'm afraid if he keeps getting it he's gonna look for another job, i dont want to lose good help.

there is a medical shot treatment that some people get to lessen the affects of the ivy but if he is that sensitive it may not help much. worth a try though. i dont have a problem with ivy also but once my girlfriend had her whole face n hands swolen/blistered and didnt even get out of the truck. couldnt even open eyes for couple days. maybe got it secondhand from me. point being is some people are just super sensitive and nothing but avoidance can help much.

taking a bath and changing clothes asap helps some

I'll second the use of Tech-nu. The pre and post-exposure lotions work very well. I can feel the effects of the urushiol only minutes after first contact, and if I use the post-exposure lotion I can prevent an acute allergic response episode. I have five bottles of the post and three of the pre in the back of the truck ready to go.

No Way!

I will not second the use of tecnu. I get it every fall super bad. I wen to the doc and he put me on a steriod to keep it outta me. If you dont wanna go thru the trouble of making a doc visit i HIGHLY recommend a product called Zanfel. Its a tube of cream that reminds me of fast orange. You get it at the drug stores or walmart. Its like $35.00 container but belive me it is VERY worth it. I used it 2 or 3 times and my ivy was gone. Its safe to use on any part of the body too. Not so much around the eyes but the face and neck are ok. LIke I said its expensive but you can gat many uses from a tube and it will clear up almost immediatly.:rockn: Any questions let me know.

All I have to do is walk by the stuff,and I've got it....I've tried the Tech-nu,and it doesn't work that well for me.I usually end up having to go get a shot.

New Employee

For those that get oak/ivy/sumac really bad and work around it there is only one solution.

Steroids.

Either the shots or prednisone tablets.

These do have negative side effects.

New line of work is not uncommon.

I use two things I use the Ivy block that is a lotion that you put on. I've heard guys taking pills that are made up of ground up poison ivy. This helps to boost your immune system to the stuff. Or when I get it I have a prescription of one of the steroid packs. It's like a week long thing where you take 7 pills the first day and then it decreases each day.

Treat it like a toxic substance

I get PI bad. If you wash completely within a couple hours you can avoid it, but if you are working all day I can't see how that would be practical. Covering up all the skin with a disposable garment could work, but that may be difficult as well. (And dangerous if it is too loose fitting)

Yep, not the rope but the real stuff. This might have been covered before so just in case it hasnt i will ask. Does anyone know of a prevenitive to poison ivy? I can wollar in the stuff and just barely get it however, my employee who just started working with me in november, gets it by just looking at it. I'm not talking just a spot here and there, but all over. It seems to spread too and gets worse after he just gets it on his arms. If anyone knows of anything that will help let me know. I'm afraid if he keeps getting it he's gonna look for another job, i dont want to lose good help.

The chemical is the same as in poison oak.

There's a long thread with preventatives, and links here....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37143&highlight=Ivy

Post #1 has a link to this page...

http://www.mdvaden.com/poison_oak.shtml

Poison Oak, or Poison Ivy, its the same compound that does the same damage. Scroll through that Giant Poison-Oak thread, and you'll come across the various compounds people mentioned.

If you read ALL THE LINKS in that thread, you will find that it can't spread - it just can appear that way.

:computer:

Last edited:
If someone has poison ivy growing up a tree, what is the best way to remove it? Will Round-Up kill it?

If someone has poison ivy growing up a tree, what is the best way to remove it? Will Round-Up kill it?

I recall killing it with Round-Up in autumn, but don't remember any great success in summer - not at the lesser rate, anyhow.

Seems that Crossbow, etc., may be more effective, but I'm not sure how what the effect is on tree bark, or drift to the ground within the dripline.

I get poison oak, so if I was going to attempt pulling, I'd never do it when the weather was dry, when dust might fall off the tree. I'd rather do it when the weather saturated everything.

There are wipes that you can use before enter the "ivy zone" that work great.I cant recall the company that makes the but most safety stores sell them.I use two or three wipes before i go in and use tech-nu with cold water when i come out and i do fine.The key is to know what ivy looks like so that you can protect yourself before you go in!!!

Find someone like myself that doesn't get poison ivy or any of the others to climb on up and take it out. Killing it is easy but the oils will still be there for quite some time your most likely already know.

Find someone like myself that doesn't get poison ivy or any of the others to climb on up and take it out. Killing it is easy but the oils will still be there for quite some time your most likely already know.

It's not my tree, but my neighbors. It's about 6' from my fence though so it's a concern for me. I mentioned it to the previous owner, and the current owner. Both said they are allergic to PI, and so evidently are going to let it continue to grow.:dizzy: The tree it is in is a candidate for removal, but since it in in such a tough location they will probably wait till it falls to deal with it. Oh joy!

rb

first make sure its poision ivy and not virginia creeper or english ivy.
if its of the poision kind just clip the stems then roundup the new sprouts.

first make sure its poision ivy and not virginia creeper or english ivy.
if its of the poision kind just clip the stems then roundup the new sprouts.

Leaves of 3 and shiny? It's PI. He has something on another tree that might be virginia creeper though.

Back