Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give it a few years of being dead before I'd want to handle the vines, and then only if they were small. It is nasty stuff and should be avoided!

I took down this dead tree that was covered with PI a couple years ago. The vines were 5.5" at the base. We dropped the tree, axed off the vines, and dragged them to the back of the property where they're still sitting. This was a couple years ago. I may finally chip them in 2008. Maybe.

PI1.jpg

PI2.jpg

Careful!

Be very careful with Poison Ivy. I am a botanist and I also spend part of my time doing weed control for a state Department of Transportation. The Urushiol (the oil that causes the rash) in Poison Ivy is a very stable molecule and is active for years, even after the plant is dead and dry. And the reaction that you can get from the stems and especially the roots can be really severe. Perennial plants store nutrients and other water soluble molecules in their roots for the winter, so the concentration of Urushiol is very high in the roots when the plant is dormant and can really cause a terrible rash.
If I was faced with the problem that you have, I would probably spray the plant with Brush B Gone and let it die. Then very carefully (while wearing protective clothing of course) I would cut the stem near the ground and pull the vines down one at a time. I would dispose of them somewhere where they could naturally decompose over time and not cause further problems for anyone. And have a shower right after you handle the plants! Then I would cut down the tree. Oh, and as others have said, never, never burn it or you could inhale the oils and cause a rash in your lungs. Very serious.
I have also found that there are two very good products for dealing with the oils on your skin. One is called Tecnu and is about $8.00-$10.00 (US) for a small bottle and the other is called Zanfel, about $35.00 an ounce. Zanfel works great after you get the rash by removing the oils from your skin, but can also work before as well. Zanfel is expensive, but when you are suffering from the rash there is no amount of money that is too great to get rid of it. I am told that Walgreens has a product similar to Zanfel for much less money, but I haven't seen it or tried it.

Good Luck and stay away from the P.I.!!!!!!!!!

For more information try this link with tons of great info: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/

Last edited:
I'm only talking about stems being no more than 1/2" at ground level. I think that if I use some latex exam gloves and cut the stem at the ground and pull off as much as I can, then throw out the gloves, I should be ok, right?
If the ivy growing on the tree is bigger than that, I'll move on to next tree. I don't need the wood that bad, and what I was looking at looked pretty small and easily removed.

I'm only talking about stems being no more than 1/2" at ground level. I think that if I use some latex exam gloves and cut the stem at the ground and pull off as much as I can, then throw out the gloves, I should be ok, right?
If the ivy growing on the tree is bigger than that, I'll move on to next tree. I don't need the wood that bad, and what I was looking at looked pretty small and easily removed.

I think the main running theme from everyone here is basically BE CAREFUL, use you head, treat it just as it is...POISON! Seems to me like if you've read all the posts here and apply the caution everyone has suggested you should be fine. Good luck!

I'll be careful, I was just hoping to hear that the oil wasn't around in the winter when it goes dormant, but it sounds like it is, at least the leaves are off it! And like I said before, the stuff is pretty small so, it should be removed easily, and it doesn't go all the way up the tree.

Wear a hat with a brim too and avoid looking up as you pull the vines down...would stink if you went through all the trouble of protecting yourself and then got a face full of bits coming off the vine.

How far up do they go?

Poison ivy advise

I don't get it much anymore but my wife can get it if I just go near her after I have been exposed. The doctor did give her a good piece of advise though. When you shower don't use hot water, the heat will open up your pores and make the reaction to the poison ivy much worse.

Latest posts

Back