Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking lead paint though a straw made me laugh. I'm stealing that line. Thanks.

I used to chew bullets man the stupid things kids do! I still have
some brass in my shoulder where I took the lead out of 22 rounds
and pinched the casings shut and folded them then hit them with
a hammer to hear the pow shrapnel in my right shoulder never peeped
a word to my parents and hid the scar until healed. I almost forgot
that one:hmm3grin2orange:

rope

lol now thats funny.

i started out with a single shot 22. when out on a hunt i would always keep a couple of bullets in my mouth for reloading. youd be amazed how much time you save lol.

Not since I was a kid...

When I was younger I was very susceptible to getting poison ivy, however, my older sister was practically immune to the stuff. She'd chase me around the yard with the leaves in her hand while I was running for dear life -- needless to say she got a woopin every time she did it, and I got poison ivy.

To be honest, I've not gotten a case of poison ivy since I was 15 or so—and I couldn't be happier! I HATE THAT STUFF!

Tecnu Soap works well. You want an old tale when I was a kid the old man who lived next door to us had gotten poision ivy so bad they said he had it internally also. The doctor told him to go home and eat a bowl of poision Ivy. He did and never again had poision ivy. Personally I wouldn't try this cure but I do remember it as a kid of about 12 or 13 and he lived thru it and as far as I know never had trouble with it again. But like I said personally I wouldn't try it, but then I don't like salad anyway. Longsleve shirts and antibacterial wipes are what I use the most. :givebeer:

BAD ADVICE.

Ingestion of urushoil for people who develop reactions can cause respiratory difficulty or arrest, damage to the esophagus, kidneys and other organs.

DON'T EAT POISON IVY.

Also regarding Jewelweed, according to Wiki-

Medical use
Jewelweed has been shown to be devoid of any anti-itch activity (antipruritic effect) in several controlled studies, but is still used widely as a home remedy against poison ivy rashes, bee stings, and insect bites [1] [2] [3] [4]. Jewelweed contains the naphthoquinone lawsone, a dye that is also found in Henna and that is responsible for the permanent hair coloring and skin coloring in mehndi.

References-
^ D. Long, N. H. Ballentine, J. G. Marks. Treatment of poison ivy/oak allergic contact dermatitis with an extract of jewelweed. Am. J. Contact. Dermat. 8(3):150-3 1997 PMID 9249283
^ M. R. Gibson, F. T. Maher. Activity of jewelweed and its enzymes in the treatment of Rhus dermatitis. J. Am. Pharm. Assoc. Am. Pharm. Assoc. 39(5):294-6 1950 PMID 15421925
^ J. D. Guin, R. Reynolds. Jewelweed treatment of poison ivy dermatitis. Contact Dermatitis 6(4):287-8 1980 PMID 6447037, doi:10.1111/j.1600-0536.1980.tb04935.x
^ B. J. Zink, E. J. Otten, M. Rosenthal, B. Singal. The effect of jewel weed in preventing poison ivy dermatitis. Journal of Wilderness Medicine 2(3):178–182 1991, abstract

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewelweed

Killer Doctor

Sounds to me like that Doc had a vendetta against someone...
Who the #### would actually try that?

It's like my old man... His Dad caught him smoking when he was six and as punishment he locked him in the closet with a box of cigars. His Dad would not let him out until he had smoked the entire box.

Sure it worked, but no telling what damage it did to his lungs.

Okay guys, I KNOW this works. I use a string trimmer in the middle of poison ivy sometimes and this takes care of it.

Immediately after being exposed to the ivy, take a very warm/hot shower using DISH DETERGENT. The dish detergent has enzymes to help take off the oils from the ivy.
After you have have lathered up change the water to just lukewarm to close the pores while you rinse the soap off.

Works every time.

Very interesting...

That makes sense. Dish detergent breaks down the grease on the pots and pans, why not poison ivy oils?! I'll keep that in mind if I ever break-out again. BUT, I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

In fact, I'm sending this to Southern Loggin Times for their Bulletin Board section. Who knows, maybe I'll get in the mag.

:clap:

Most soaps and other detergents (dish, laundry etc.) will work fine. It only has to be able to emulsify oils, because oils are (urushiol included) immiscible in plain water. Isopropyl will also emulsify urushiol, so rubbing alcohol would work too.

Also, I believe the reaction to the urushiol occurs at the epidermal layer, so it really doesn't matter whether your pores are open or not.

Other myths about it include that it can be spread by contact to other parts of the body or other people after all the urushiol has been cleaned off (it can't) and that the liquid from blisters resulting from urushiol exposure can spread the rash (it can't).

Be careful with the steroids for quick treatment - two people I know are now more susceptible than ever to poison ivy after getting shots/pills. Much more severe cases as well.

when i went into the doctors office to get checked for poison ivy, they gave me pills but they also said that the pills have some nasty side effects, they can give you diabetes, hip deterioration, they can give you blockages in your eyes, and they can raise your blood pressure alot. but he also said that these are not frequent and its better to give the pills than to hope the poison ivy just goes away. i know for me it wont, it will hang around for months like it did last year.

BAD ADVICE.

Ingestion of urushoil for people who develop reactions can cause respiratory difficulty or arrest, damage to the esophagus, kidneys and other organs.

DON'T EAT POISON IVY.

I started this thread and appreciated every response, but I was not even considering chewing on poison ivy.

My father was a timber cutter for most of his life and has never gotten poison ivy or oak. When I started land surveying years ago I would get a bad case of PO several times during the summer (nasty rashes and bubbles between fingers, on eye lids, all over the under-nether region, etc.) None of the cremes or body washes worked. What has worked for the past 3-4 years, however, is a homeopathic treatment/vaccine called Oral Ivy. I start taking a few drops in early spring and by the time PO comes on I'm almost 100% immune with NO severe cases. I recommend Oral Ivy over anything else. I think it's about $12/bottle and lasts 1 year. :clap:

My father was a timber cutter for most of his life and has never gotten poison ivy or oak. When I started land surveying years ago I would get a bad case of PO several times during the summer (nasty rashes and bubbles between fingers, on eye lids, all over the under-nether region, etc.) None of the cremes or body washes worked. What has worked for the past 3-4 years, however, is a homeopathic treatment/vaccine called Oral Ivy. I start taking a few drops in early spring and by the time PO comes on I'm almost 100% immune with NO severe cases. I recommend Oral Ivy over anything else. I think it's about $12/bottle and lasts 1 year. :clap:

this sounds like eating a bowl of poison ivy. lets you build an immunity to it.

I get poison ivy bad on my arm several times a year, seems that I always find it when I am cutting the stump flush before grinding and now my crew and I are clearing 60 miles of highway ROW that has severe poison ivy and we all ended up in the hospital because we forgot our preventative measures, job site is about 90 miles from the office.

Here are the proven tips from a fella who gets poison ivy just by looking at it.
1. Don't wash with hot water initially, but I agree with Ropensaddle on the hot water knocking out the itch so washing the affected area often sooths itching.
2. Try using a product called Ivy Block before you enter the woods.
3. We all know to wear long sleeves when getting into the stuff.

After the fact.
1. Try to stay in the A/C when possible and with some people an ice pack will help reduce the swelling and the spreading a little.
2. Use the Methylprednisolone pills and Triamcinolone Cream as directed by the doctor in conjunction with the shot they administer.
3. No one that I know has ever had any good luck with Tecnu, very disappointing. :cry:

I am still researching preventative shots but no one has been able to find a name of the drug to get, I am looking forward to trying the Oral Ivy, $14.95 at www.oralivy.com, and the Rhus Tox, $5.95 at www.vitasprings.com, mentioned in this post. Wish everyone the best but I feel lucky that my arms and torso are the only areas that seem to get the horrible rash for days.

Where ?

Where do you get this stuff?

BAD ADVICE.

DON'T EAT POISON IVY.

Yes you are right I never intended anyone else chew the leaves
I merely stated I did as a kid. In your early years exposure of things
may indeed help you build immunity. I knew a snake handler that had
been bitten so many times over a long period it barely phased him.
Who knows , and I would never recommend anything like it just
that I exposed myself as a kidster to many different things and
am pretty well intact. If you have a little huck fin kid be careful
as whether you know it or not he is getting into some **** I promise lol.
My dad found a live baby cottonmouth I had in a jar in my toybox at eight
years old and boy did my butt hurt for that one. I have long since gave
many of these pastimes up but was really into some wild **** as a kid.
I would still say I would rather have done that than get fat playing
video games.

Latest posts

Back