Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get poison ivy bad on my arm several times a year, seems that I always find it when I am cutting the stump flush before grinding and now my crew and I are clearing 60 miles of highway ROW that has severe poison ivy and we all ended up in the hospital because we forgot our preventative measures, job site is about 90 miles from the office.

Here are the proven tips from a fella who gets poison ivy just by looking at it.
1. Don't wash with hot water initially, but I agree with Ropensaddle on the hot water knocking out the itch so washing the affected area often sooths itching.
2. Try using a product called Ivy Block before you enter the woods.
3. We all know to wear long sleeves when getting into the stuff.

After the fact.
1. Try to stay in the A/C when possible and with some people an ice pack will help reduce the swelling and the spreading a little.
2. Use the Methylprednisolone pills and Triamcinolone Cream as directed by the doctor in conjunction with the shot they administer.
3. No one that I know has ever had any good luck with Tecnu, very disappointing. :cry:

I am still researching preventative shots but no one has been able to find a name of the drug to get, I am looking forward to trying the Oral Ivy, $14.95 at www.oralivy.com, and the Rhus Tox, $5.95 at www.vitasprings.com, mentioned in this post. Wish everyone the best but I feel lucky that my arms and torso are the only areas that seem to get the horrible rash for days.

Iget it like you do. That's why I posted this thread.

I am still researching preventative shots but no one has been able to find a name of the drug to get,...

There are NO preventative shots, so quit looking. The traditional shot from the doctor for poison ivy rashes is Prednisone, but there are probably several dozen other steroids for that now.

back in the day cure for Poison Ivy

Back when I was a small person we went to the dunes that was loaded with PI, I then had to go to hospital for unrelated operation,(appendicitis?)
At the hospital I developed a horrendous rash that I tried to scratch. The hospital cure was to tie my arms and legs down with no medication.:jawdrop:
After I got out I had to go to school smothered in white calamine lotion and wearing slippers, mighty embarrassing.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now I swear by TECNU I use it immediately after exposure,and after rash appears. If a rash does appear I will burst the rash and wash with tecnu and rubbing alcohol to dry the rash and reduce the itching. This works for anywhere except the face and then I use those steroid pills

If I walk within 5 ft of the stuff I seem to get it.

Back when I was a small person we went to the dunes that was loaded with PI, I then had to go to hospital for unrelated operation,(appendicitis?)
At the hospital I developed a horrendous rash that I tried to scratch. The hospital cure was to tie my arms and legs down with no medication.:jawdrop:
After I got out I had to go to school smothered in white calamine lotion and wearing slippers, mighty embarrassing.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now I swear by TECNU I use it immediately after exposure,and after rash appears. If a rash does appear I will burst the rash and wash with tecnu and rubbing alcohol to dry the rash and reduce the itching. This works for anywhere except the face and then I use those steroid pills

If I walk within 5 ft of the stuff I seem to get it.

You need to try tei-fu better than windex I mean it works on chiggars
burns but no ichie.

Not Itchin' yet!

Well, I spent about 12 hours in the woods today (solid poison ivy) and no itching yet. Took many guys advice. Toughest for me was long sleeves (was upper 70's today). Took a shower at lunch and changed clothes. Washed with Dawn dish soap (my wife looked at me a little weird). usually by now I'm starting to itch and I'm not. Oh, also, I had a bottle of rubbing alcohol with me. About every 3rd choker hookup I poured a little on my hands and arms. Hope it worked. I know I worked like a dog today and don't want the "itch" as my pay.

I forgot to mention before I found Oral Ivy and I got PO all the time I would whip out the Old Timer and "surgically" remove the blisters and such to stop the itching and drain all the ooze.:chainsawguy: I could deal with the pain a LOT easier than the itch. I have a high pain tolerance and low itch tolerance, I suppose. It's also a miracle I didn't get gangrene.:dizzy:

Well we spent the day today back in the road ditches removing brush and trimming the trees but we couldn't stand to wear long sleeves because it is in the upper 90's every day with no wind. For our protection today we sprayed our arms with BAND-AID CALAMINE SPRAY when we started and then every few hours when we took a break. It definitely hindered the poison ivy but we still have just a few minor spots. I'm still waiting for my order of Oral Ivy to arrive.

Latest posts

Back