Pop ups and windows. Your thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say useable rpm's do you mean torque?

I mean it raised it's peak horsepower in the cut... Tuned at 14,700 as opposed to 13,900 no load and holds ~1000 more RPM's in the cut... In other words. "Raised it's happy range of rpm's without losing it's torque"...
And I swear it runs cooler now, but can't quantify that...

this saw has no pop up ,totally stock piston View attachment 262262
attachment.php

Trx,

Thats a helluva lot of compression Randy was able to get, impressive. Couple questions:

1. What do you use the saw for...Dont just say cuttin' wood either lol:laugh::msp_sneaky:

2. Do you think high compression like that puts excessive force on the crank and crank bearings? or is it still to early to tell. Just curious, not trying to start a battle with anyone if this has already been discussed.

Popups were all the rage in the 60-70's. We see where that went with engine manufacturers. I do believe that a dished piston would have even more TQ in the cut and might squeak out a few more rpm. The problem is getting enough compression from such a small swept volume. It is a know fact that round boom areas make more grunt given enough stuffing and squish squash turbulence. Now who knows why? I do...

I like my windows polished clean and not hogged out. They reduce crown temps although not always needed. If they have no "through" flow they do basically nothing.

Trx,

Thats a helluva lot of compression Randy was able to get, impressive. Couple questions:

1. What do you use the saw for...Dont just say cuttin' wood either lol:laugh::msp_sneaky:

2. Do you think high compression like that puts excessive force on the crank and crank bearings? or is it still to early to tell. Just curious, not trying to start a battle with anyone if this has already been discussed.

i just use it around the house cleaning up and firewood ,clearing land also ,it sure runs good ,it has lots of tourque ,in my opinion it runs smooth for power ,i dont over rev so dont think bearings be too much a factor ,pullstart parts maybe ,this sucker will rip the pullstart out of your hand if you dont know how to start it

i think for a saw getting used daily he keeps compresion down in the 200 range

this 440 also has a 460 jug on it ,im not sure if that made compresion any higher or not

Last edited:
Popups were all the rage in the 60-70's. We see where that went with engine manufacturers. I do believe that a dished piston would have even more TQ in the cut and might squeak out a few more rpm. The problem is getting enough compression from such a small swept volume. It is a know fact that round boom areas make more grunt given enough stuffing and squish squash turbulence. Now who knows why? I do...

I like my windows polished clean and not hogged out. They reduce crown temps although not always needed. If they have no "through" flow they do basically nothing.

I know why too....but let's wait and see what the masses say......

i just use it around the house cleaning up and firewood ,clearing land also ,it sure runs good ,it has lots of tourque ,in my opinion it runs smooth for power ,i dont over rev so dont think bearings be too much a factor ,pullstart parts maybe ,this sucker will rip the pullstart out of your hand if you dont know how to start it

i think for a saw getting used daily he keeps compresion down in the 200 range

this 440 also has a 460 jug on it ,im not sure if that made compresion any higher or not

I'm not sure why the saw ended up so high......you sure that gauge is right? :D

I know why too....but let's wait and see what the masses say......

I'm not sure why the saw ended up so high......you sure that gauge is right? :D

my stock 036 was reading 145 on the same guage then 175 on same guage when i yanked the base gasket out this saw i checked a couple times, strong 225 each time ,ill try the 461 see what it reads on this guage ,i think you were an even 200 ? did you ever recheck the 461 after had some time on it ?

my stock 036 was reading 145 on the same guage then 175 on same guage when i yanked the base gasket out this saw i checked a couple times, strong 225 each time ,ill try the 461 see what it reads on this guage ,i think you were an even 200 ? did you ever recheck the 461 after had some time on it ?

I didn't recheck the 461.......what is your elevation?

I didn't recheck the 461.......what is your elevation?

i live on the ocean ,maybe 300 feet elevation at the house

i had the 461 in the truck so put a guage on it at work here ,1 line under the 200 psi line cold ,the 461 doesnt yank the handle from my hand like the hybrid does

Last edited:
My tried and true 372 with popup and windows still impresses all that run it. I haven't shaken down the new one enough to know yet if its any better or not.

The best running 372 I've built yet had the squish band cut just enough to flatten it and a .025 popup. I'm not done with popups completely. The 550 and 562XP are two saws that work well with popups too. Sometimes the transfer height is so far off after cutting the squish that it makes more sense to do the popup.

But everything we are doing today will be obsolete in a couple of years. :laugh:

Yup... And I've used em'... And I've replaced em'... The 372 was an eye opener...
Replace pop up with flat top...
Lose 15lbs of comp...
Gain 7% useable RPM's in the cut...
Still without a machined squish band...
Go figure...:dizzy:

WTH is all this 372 talk??? GO RED!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

[video=youtube_share;n6zdFQfO7yE]http://youtu.be/n6zdFQfO7yE[/video]

Back