Pop ups and windows. Your thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow... I go out to the shop for a couple hours, and it turns into a zoo around here.!!!! You'd think the aussie's got in here!!!
:msp_sneaky:

041AV im working on, closed piston with side fed lower transfers. im tempted to cut some windows. thoughts?

041AV im working on, closed piston with side fed lower transfers. im tempted to cut some windows. thoughts?

You might find a slight gain that could be realized with a stop watch.....but there would be a cooling effect on the piston crown......which might be a good thing. The trouble is that adding windows to a non-windowed piston can cause the piston to crack after some run time. I've built a few 041s and gotten great gains without modding the piston.

well, im just about to get into the port timing and setting the squish on a lathe with jug mandrel. any suggestions? id like to move the peak torque up a thousand rpm or so. seems to me like its really lacking on blowdown and intake duration is pretty short.

ive cleaned up the transition from block to jug and might be laying some epoxy in there to up the crankcase compression ratio. whats your take on that route?

btw, i just drove through jamestown 2 weeks ago, nice quiet place. we bought a house on the edge of mayland and crossville last week. they got any meet and greets out that way?

well, im just about to get into the port timing and setting the squish on a lathe with jug mandrel. any suggestions? id like to move the peak torque up a thousand rpm or so. seems to me like its really lacking on blowdown and intake duration is pretty short.

ive cleaned up the transition from block to jug and might be laying some epoxy in there to up the crankcase compression ratio. whats your take on that route?

I just build work saws and never add anything to the case. Everything I do has to hold up in a work environment.......so epoxy is never used. I ain't getting into race saws......ever.

Look at the crank counterweights......they get right in the way of all the case/jug matching you're looking for. :laugh:

Here's the thread I did on an 041 Super.....

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/200469.htm

btw, i just drove through jamestown 2 weeks ago, nice quiet place. we bought a house on the edge of mayland and crossville last week. they got any meet and greets out that way?

Terry Landrum puts on a GTG every year. It's near Olivier Springs.....

ive done devcon inside manifolds, oil pumps and oil galleys since 2003 with no failures. ill post pics later, this block had a 1/4" ledge at the jug.

You might find a slight gain that could be realized with a stop watch.....but there would be a cooling effect on the piston crown......which might be a good thing. The trouble is that adding windows to a non-windowed piston can cause the piston to crack after some run time. I've built a few 041s and gotten great gains without modding the piston.

I think the cracking is caused by way too much "introduced" cooling going through a thin pin wall. Most windowed pistons I have seen are much thicker in the narrow pin wall area just like forged drag slugs.

When I was just getting started, I built a lot of saws with popups.

Will they work? Yep.

Are they the best approach? No.

Are they easier? Yes

Less chance of fubarring a jug? Yes

Latest posts

Back