Portawrap with no deadeye

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If you find yourself wanting to use a portawrap, but all you have to attach it to base tree is a length of straight line, what would you do? I tied a bowline on the end in place of the deadeye and just kept an eye on it to make sure it wasnt loosening as i worked since i was just lowering small to medium branches. Any other ideas that might have worked?

bowline with a yosemite tie off, or the "double bowline", I would avoid cinching knots like the scaffold knot because of how hard they are to un-tie once loaded, especially shock loads or big wood

Here's a couple of ways I've been using for 30 years or so to attach a Port-a-Wrap to a tree using a rope with no spliced eye. The rope is 5/8" double braid bull rope. The nicely melted rope ends are melted using a 200 watt soldering iron. It's a technique that requires a little practice to master, but well worth mastering.

1) A big eyed bowline is tied to the Porty:
Port-a-Wrap attachment options 001.JPG

2) The Stilson hitch (also called a Cow hitch with a better half) is beginning to be tied to the tree. Notice how the bowline ends up being quite a ways from the Porty:
Port-a-Wrap attachment options 002.JPG

3) The completed and ready to use Porty attached to a tree using a Stilson Hitch with a big eyed bowline. The Stilson includes the final half hitch. This knot is also called a 'Cow hitch with a better half'. Note that the bowline termination is behind the tree out of sight. It just worked out that way.
Port-a-Wrap attachment options 004.JPG
///////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1) A second technique using no bowline at all. Requires more rope than my first technique. This technique can even be tied in the middle of a really long rope.
Port-a-Wrap attachment options 006.JPG

2) The beginnings of the Stilson hitch.
Port-a-Wrap attachment options 007.JPG

3) Getting ready to complete the Stilson hitch:
Port-a-Wrap attachment options 008.JPG

4) The half hitch that completes the Stilson Hitch. This half hitch is considered a part of the Stilson Hitch where with the Cow Hitch it is added and called a 'better half'. This attachment is ready for use.
Port-a-Wrap attachment options 009.JPG

Here's a couple of ways I've been using for 30 years or so to attach a Port-a-Wrap to a tree using a rope with no spliced eye. The rope is 5/8" double braid bull rope. The nicely melted rope ends are melted using a 200 watt soldering iron. It's a technique that requires a little practice to master, but well worth mastering.

1) A big eyed bowline is tied to the Porty:
View attachment 941423

2) The Stilson hitch (also called a Cow hitch with a better half) is beginning to be tied to the tree. Notice how the bowline ends up being quite a ways from the Porty:
View attachment 941424

3) The completed and ready to use Porty attached to a tree using a Stilson Hitch with a big eyed bowline. The Stilson includes the final half hitch. This knot is also called a 'Cow hitch with a better half'. Note that the bowline termination is behind the tree out of sight. It just worked out that way.
View attachment 941425
///////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1) A second technique using no bowline at all. Requires more rope than my first technique. This technique can even be tied in the middle of a really long rope.
View attachment 941429

2) The beginnings of the Stilson hitch.
View attachment 941430

3) Getting ready to complete the Stilson hitch:
View attachment 941431

4) The half hitch that completes the Stilson Hitch. This half hitch is considered a part of the Stilson Hitch where with the Cow Hitch it is added and called a 'better half'. This attachment is ready for use.
View attachment 941432
All great rigs, and great pics. To the op, a Yosemite tie off is great. But also, and this applies to many other knots, just a simple half hitch stopper knot on your tail is a good habit... a knot will not pull through another knot.

All great rigs, and great pics. To the op, a Yosemite tie off is great. But also, and this applies to many other knots, just a simple half hitch stopper knot on your tail is a good habit... a knot will not pull through another knot.

Thanks.

I'm interested in other terminology that might be used to describe the 'rigging' I use if you or others have any suggestions.

Could girth hitch a doubled line. Need twice as much rope, but should be sturdy. Then do normal timber hitch but with doubled line instead of single.
62FAA598-01DF-43B5-BFB3-7E0685F9E4AE.jpeg

Want a chunk of 3/4” hollow braid polyester 12 strand? You can make your own or I can put an eye in it for you, but it’s dead simple to do yourself, you don’t need fids or special tools.
Message me with a name and address if you want, I got more than I’ll ever need, can definitely spare 18 feet or so for ya. It’s same stuff as Tenex (not Tenex Tec) but different manufacturer. Atlantic Braids I think.

Could girth hitch a doubled line. Need twice as much rope, but should be sturdy. Then do normal timber hitch but with doubled line instead of single.
View attachment 941545
The answer is yes, but the girth hitch is really unnecessary and just reduces strength. My favorite Porta wrap rig is just putting it on a bight and then a timber hitch with a couple stopper knots... so easy to set and tighten , very few bends to weaken the rope, and it will never bind up. Just always make sure your timber hitch goes past 180° on the trunk and you are good. The only disadvantage to a timber hitch is it does rely on tension, but the weight of the Porta wrap handles that.

Latest posts

Back