Porting The MS201T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, I build a bunch of Huskys.

I did 5 346XPs over the last couple of weeks. My 372/385/390s are bad ass.

I can make an AT Husky into a running mfer. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC.

I see inside of enough of both brands (Stihl & Husky) to be 100% sure that Stihl gives a damn about the quality of their product more. Does that mean Husky is crap? Hell no. They build a good saw too....and they will gladly replace defective products. I know this because I hear about it all the time. :laugh:

Randy,
Im just funnin...but I own both, run both, but would much rather work on Stihl...they just seem to go together better for me...that ain't sayin much but it is, as they say, what it is. and some are easier then others no matter what the brand/model. an 066 has to be the easiest saw ever made to work on. a putz like me can tear one down and throw a top end in one while sleeping in an hour.

tell us how you realy feel ...lol

I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC.
I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC. I'm just disappointed in their lack of QC.

You need something to do.;) I'll be bringing the 246 and 254xpg up this week for my appointment. The 2 series QC is spot on.:)

No need to test that. The hogged out one would be a turd.

I've hogged out enough to be certain.
In my limited experiments I've found that to be true - anything that increases case volume probably isn't worth it, such as making it look nice at the transfer entrances if that requires removing a lot of material.

So......I setup the jug in the lathe and cut .006" from the squish band, and made the clearance .016" without a base gasket. That will bump the compression about 25psi.

Hey Randy
Just wondering if u can remember what ur finished compression was on this mod.
Thank u

Check his posts from back in Jan, 2016. I think hes a moderator on another site.
Ok thank u
The reason I wanted to know the compression he achieved is because these 201's r losing their comp to fast.
I have rebuilt 200's that over a years time r still pull 160 and I just got 3 201's in for low power from a company telling me these saw are barely a year old and I did a compression test on them and their only pulling 115 & 120's.
I'm stating to think this is a normal trait of these 201's and if I Rebiuld them I want them to last more than a year lol

That's interesting. I've modded probably 200 of these since they first came out and have heard no reports of loss of compression over time. I would be very hesitant to consider that typical.
Thank u for ur input
I'm expecting them to pull at least 150-170 after rebuilding them, r these comps normal for this saw. I was just not expecting such low compressions after a years use. The Arborists in my area want the 200's to be rebuilt but there getting harder to find.

Thank u for ur input
I'm expecting them to pull at least 150-170 after rebuilding them, r these comps normal for this saw. I was just not expecting such low compressions after a years use. The Arborists in my area want the 200's to be rebuilt but there getting harder to find.
Honestly, I've never checked the compression on a 201.

Honestly, I've never checked the compression on a 201.
If u could I'd greatly appreciate it.
I have my parts ordered already.
I can't imagine it to be any different from the 200 but seeing is believing.
Thank u for ur info.

Latest posts

Back