Possible suggestion for a sticky post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I 've looked through the archives and can't seem to find a go to post on this but I think this would be of benefit to most here. Would it be possible to have a Sticky post pertaining to the truth/benefits about would burning. Not pages of endless info, just concise info with a quotable source. If there is one please let me know.

People seem to be rallying against wood burning and I'd like to have a print off sheet (Ammo) to let them look over when they start telling me how I'm the reason for global warming. I remember one about how wood decaying is about the same as burning, pollution wise. It just seems it would help if we had a place to gleen the info from. Yes, I'm lazy about fact finding but no reason we shouldn't make this easy. Kevin

I'm praying for record cold winters! It's working!

People seem to be rallying against wood burning and I'd like to have a print off sheet (Ammo) to let them look over when they start telling me how I'm the reason for global warming.

Climate data shows we're now in a cooling trend starting in 2003. Each winter, I've been noticing that my woodbin is increasingly smaller come middle of January, I'm burning more because the winters are getting colder. If this continues, I'll have to make a second wood bin out of a tractor bay. Hopefully, this winter will set records, it's starting out very nicely already. As each winter goes from bad to worse, perhaps then we can put an end to this global warming nonsense, it's nothing but yet another scam for creating yet another tax. Oil prices are climbing because of the record cold. Most folks don't know it yet, but global oil production peaked in 2005 or 6, and we are burning far, far more oil than we discover. It's being consumed at a rate of almost six times the rate we're finding new supply. Once this decline *really* starts setting in, we'll be burning anything we can find to heat our homes, including trash. Sorta like the good folks in Kentucky last year in the terrible ice storm they had, below freezing and no power for weeks. Some people were burning their furniture to keep warm. My guess is that if anyone had shown up at their front doors telling them to stop burning stuff because of global warming, the reaction would have been violent.

fighting global warming nuts is like fighting religious nuts. no matter what you say, you'll be wrong.

why bother?

I know one friggin thing, you aint gonna convince me of any carp about global warming.So far this is the coldest winter we have had since we moved to TN,last night we hit our record since moving here at 9 degrees.
I am beginning to hate woodcutting,I have a job to start Wednesday, and there is nothing I hate more than being bundled up and in a harness.Guess Im just a weenie!Beginning to long for those hot summer days!

hey chuckwood, where you at in TN?

I know one friggin thing, you aint gonna convince me of any carp about global warming.So far this is the coldest winter we have had since we moved to TN,last night we hit our record since moving here at 9 degrees.
I am beginning to hate woodcutting,I have a job to start Wednesday, and there is nothing I hate more than being bundled up and in a harness.Guess Im just a weenie!Beginning to long for those hot summer days!

hey chuckwood, where you at in TN?

I'm not far from you, I'm in Blount County. Ah, Newport. Once was famous for the moonshine whiskey business. I'd drive through there in the 70's as a youngster, and many of these folks drove their hot rod cars with the rear ends all jacked up in the air, just for effect, to make them look cool along with the loud mufflers. Moonshine haulers used to have overload springs and special rear suspensions so they could haul a load of whiskey in the trunk and still have good handling and not have the rear of the car squatting way down.

I like winter because I can dress for it and keep comfortable. No such luck in summer. I like woodcutting so far, good exercise, gives the dogs a chance to get out in the woods, makes me feel good about all the chainsaws I've purchased, like I can justify the expense....

What I'm hoping for is that mother nature will fight them for us! When it becomes obvious we're getting colder, maybe they'll quit.

no one ever admits they're wrong, especially politicians who have caved into environmentalists with their whiney issues.

however, "global warming" is out these days because they realize it's not happening, so now it's called Climate Change...lol..that way they're covered both ways.

whether we get hot or cold, they'll still blame wood burning people.

You can't argue with the lefty tree hugging global warmers, they have a hidden political objective...and you just want to keep your family warm.

Local spineless political trash will always listen to the loudest most dangerous voice because most seek office for an easy gig and government retirement/health care. They're not afraid of honest folks like you..they know you have some moral guidelines...hence there's areas YOU wont go.

Last edited:
You can't argue with the lefty tree hugging global warmers, they have a hidden political objective...and you just want to keep your family warm.

TreeCo Thanks for the link, That is what I needed.

I'm not concerned with trying to convince the radicals. Like you said, the blind will stay blind, I'm more concerned with normal people who can reason when given factual info. If you keep your head in the sand, someone WILL take your freedoms/rights away in time to satisfy their agenda.

Irony is I'll probably never emit the amount of pollution in my lifetime that Al Gore has by flying to all the rallys. Let alone all the fuel wasted by people attending them.

TreeCo Thanks for the link, That is what I needed.

I'm not concerned with trying to convince the radicals. Like you said, the blind will stay blind, I'm more concerned with normal people who can reason when given factual info. If you keep your head in the sand, someone WILL take your freedoms/rights away in time to satisfy their agenda.

Irony is I'll probably never emit the amount of pollution in my lifetime that Al Gore has by flying to all the rallys. Let alone all the fuel wasted by people attending them.

You just admitted to being an emitter. There's no hope for you now. :)

I don't think global warmers include burning wood as a cause of global warming but rather they point to possible ill health effects from breathing wood smoke. From my understanding wood smoke can contain toxins and particulate matter that is known to cause and/or aggravate lung problems. I am not a scientist...I am not afraid of wood smoke but I would imagine that peaceful aroma coming from my chimney ain't too good for me to breath. But...its my choice so I breath it.

I think the global warming crowd recognizes that burning wood is "carbon neutral" and does not contribute to the net carbon make-up in the atmosphere as the carbon trapped in a tree had been there for probably no more than 40 years...give and take a couple extra years. Burning fossil fuels does, they argue, contribute to global warming as the carbon released into the atmosphere had been captured in the ground for millions of years. Our current eco system...what ever that is..., the balance of atmospheric elements including carbon, has established itself based upon this balance for millions of years. When we burn oil, gas etc this carbon is put back into the atmosphere and a "new" balance is created. This new balance can make good and bad things happen based upon our human experience here on earth. I think that is an accurate summary of the global warmers argument.

I, as a woodburner, recognize that pollution is bad for the environment, our health, our air etc. I think we can all agree on that. I don't know if this is causing global warming but I know I would trust a world wide network of scientists over a blow hard politician here in the US. Still I don't know. We have always been part of the balancing act between exploitation of resources for wealth vs. health of person and planet. The big question here is...where do we draw the line. I for one don't know and...to a large extent...don't care as I know that there are others who picked this issue as their axe to grind. I'll leave it to them. For myself I am more worried about finding my next tree to cut, keeping this group of young punks away from my daughters and...of course...if I should buy either the 7900 or 372 XP. I got other things to worry about.

Still...regardless of what side of the debate you fall on I would offer this bit of unsolicited advice. Know your enemy. Calling them names, broad brushing them, and "straw manning" their theory does not contribute to the debate and exposes the weaknesses in your own argument. Instead try to understand where they are coming from, ask tough, but respectful questions, and don't be afraid to change or modify your position. That's enough for me. I'm going to shovel some snow.

I don't think global warmers include burning wood as a cause of global warming but rather they point to possible ill health effects from breathing wood smoke. From my understanding wood smoke can contain toxins and particulate matter that is known to cause and/or aggravate lung problems. I am not a scientist...I am not afraid of wood smoke but I would imagine that peaceful aroma coming from my chimney ain't too good for me to breath. But...its my choice so I breath it.

I think the global warming crowd recognizes that burning wood is "carbon neutral" and does not contribute to the net carbon make-up in the atmosphere as the carbon trapped in a tree had been there for probably no more than 40 years...give and take a couple extra years. Burning fossil fuels does, they argue, contribute to global warming as the carbon released into the atmosphere had been captured in the ground for millions of years. Our current eco system...what ever that is..., the balance of atmospheric elements including carbon, has established itself based upon this balance for millions of years. When we burn oil, gas etc this carbon is put back into the atmosphere and a "new" balance is created. This new balance can make good and bad things happen based upon our human experience here on earth. I think that is an accurate summary of the global warmers argument.

I, as a woodburner, recognize that pollution is bad for the environment, our health, our air etc. I think we can all agree on that. I don't know if this is causing global warming but I know I would trust a world wide network of scientists over a blow hard politician here in the US. Still I don't know. We have always been part of the balancing act between exploitation of resources for wealth vs. health of person and planet. The big question here is...where do we draw the line. I for one don't know and...to a large extent...don't care as I know that there are others who picked this issue as their axe to grind. I'll leave it to them. For myself I am more worried about finding my next tree to cut, keeping this group of young punks away from my daughters and...of course...if I should buy either the 7900 or 372 XP. I got other things to worry about.

Still...regardless of what side of the debate you fall on I would offer this bit of unsolicited advice. Know your enemy. Calling them names, broad brushing them, and "straw manning" their theory does not contribute to the debate and exposes the weaknesses in your own argument. Instead try to understand where they are coming from, ask tough, but respectful questions, and don't be afraid to change or modify your position. That's enough for me. I'm going to shovel some snow.
Ya know, I bet it was 80 to 110 years of breathing wood smoke that killed my grandparents... Either that or the bourbon and fried squirrel and rabbit.

In all seriousness, my personal opinion on why some are against heating with wood comes down to its personal self reliance. You are responsible for planning ahead and being prepared to keep yourself warm. Banning wood burning is less about pollution or killing a tree, its more about making an individual dependent. you are dependent of someone else to provide you with warmth. Then the government can tax and regulate your warmth.

In all seriousness, my personal opinion on why some are against heating with wood comes down to its personal self reliance. You are responsible for planning ahead and being prepared to keep yourself warm. Banning wood burning is less about pollution or killing a tree, its more about making an individual dependent. you are dependent of someone else to provide you with warmth. Then the government can tax and regulate your warmth.

I believe there is some truth to this. Governments lose a lot of money when they can't tax my free firewood I heat with. Anytime you mess with the oil companies and the politicians they are in bed with you are asking for trouble.

One of the main reasons I went with the owb was the self reliance. Of course I still need the grid but the gas man can go jump in the lake.:cheers:

Nope, not in the lake right now

One of the main reasons I went with the owb was the self reliance. Of course I still need the grid but the gas man can go jump in the lake.:cheers:

I routinely monitor Cleveland Ohio's winter weather. I lived there for about 15 years and still go up there when the winter is cold enough to ice fish. Lake Erie is the most exciting place to go ice fishing if you like all the wierd stuff you'll see and hear happening, especially at night when the ice is contracting and moving. For more relaxed fishing, there's the inland reservoirs, like LaDue or East Branch. But the gas man won't be able to take on your challenge unless you give him a chain saw to cut a hole in the ice first. If things continue like this, in a month or so you'll have to hand him a big saw with at least a 20" bar.

Latest posts

Back