Post Pictures of Big Trees!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks bodean, i can really see those ones. some of those look like good climbing, but if your worried about knocking deadwood loose then it seems like you'de be more worried about yourself than the highway. i've heard those trees can be pretty brittle but i dont know.

panthro, thanks for posting that, i have never seen a tree like that and it has to be one of the coolest looking trees there is! i want to go to hawaii just to see them! one of the sites i found says that it grows 5-8 feet a year!!

Luckily I was not driving when I spied rainbow eucs for the first time. My brother-in-law (he was stationed on Oahu, we used to stay with him 2 weeks at a time, he played tour guide...great action filled vacations) was weaving us thru some twisting countryside and I almost spiraled out of the jeep trying to be sure I was really seeing something real. I think my pictures are at work...I'll try to track them down tomorrow.

panthro, was that on Oahu or Maui? My mom works in Oahu so i was hoping i could visit her and see them eucs, but the only info i could find said they grow on Maui. Hopefully they are in all parts of Hawaii.

Sizzle-Chest said:
panthro, was that on Oahu or Maui? My mom works in Oahu so i was hoping i could visit her and see them eucs, but the only info i could find said they grow on Maui. Hopefully they are in all parts of Hawaii.

It may very well have been Maui...we went to HI four times...once we flew over it wasn't so expensive, we stayed with Billy. We visited Oahu, Molokai, Maui, the Big Island. We did a lot of driving on Maui (road to Hana) and were just inundated (what a word!) with awesome sights.

I am still looking for my rainbow euc picts..not on work or home computer...must have archived them to CD. Here is my son Alex, my little Ong-Bak, in a banyan tree on Maui, July 2000.

These are Norfolk pines we saw in the Judd Forest...on Oahu.
(Charles S. Judd Memorial Grove of Norfolk pines)

Reckon your lanyard would find something to grab onto here?

It looks like it would be a challenge setting a climbing line, let alone finding a limb strong enough to trust.

dang, thems some wacky looking trees. i dont know about setting a climbing line but i bet you could gaff the heck out of it and not even tell the difference. not saying you should, just that you could . . . i wish we had some weird looking tree's here.

here are some good size firs in a park in town. . . it was a little wet out. a couple are obviously snags, they were huge! and the last is a healthy pondarosa pine, which is completely out of place. i dont think there's another for miles.

Sizzle-Chest said:

My brother-in-law, Billy, was here today...while eating BBQ at Sonny's I asked him about the rainbow eucs...he said they are also on Oahu. So you should be able to find some when you go.

Here is another picture...this site may be able to help you find out where they are on Oahu.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/Data/photos/euc_deg_bark2.jpg

Here is Billy at Katrina...we called him "Hollywood". He spent most of each day on that roof helping call shots and directing the rigging...had to be hotter there than where I was.

panthro, glad to hear i can find them on Oahu. I asked my mom and she never heard of them, but she isnt really into trees or anything.

thats an awsome pic you got there. is that you in the tree or on the roof, maybe neither? when i first saw the picture i thought you were all tangled in power lines and i was thinking, "Holy death trap!" but they were actually your ropes.

also, i tried renting the tia warrior ong bonk or whatever, and the guy at the video store said they have been trying to order it for a while, so i should check back. i cant wait!

Sizzle-Chest said:
is that you in the tree or on the roof, maybe neither? when i first saw the picture i thought you were all tangled in power lines and i was thinking, "Holy death trap!" but they were actually your ropes.

also, i tried renting the tia warrior ong bonk or whatever,

Holy spiderweb, Robin, sorry, I wasn't clear...Billy was directing from the roof, that was me in the spiderweb. I had a high line set up but by the time I shinnied out to the end of the tree, I was way beyond relying on the hline for safety. It was a pretty squirrely setup so I set several safeties whenever I could...there are also some lowering ropes and taglines scrambled into the mess, too. It was a spiderman nightmare until we got the top rigged out.

The thread below has a link to a LOT of picts on a family website..probably WAY more than you want to wade through.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=25387&highlight=Katrina

Re: Ong-Bak...it'll be worth the wait. I saw the second Tony Jaa movie this week....it is pretty good but I liked the first one best...Thai Warrior.

The 2nd one is about rescuing the family elephants (yeah, that's right, dont' you have a family elephant? I know we do :dizzy: )

panthro, i had a look at those pictures of your work at hurricane katrina and they were very amazing to me. i hadn't seen any real pictures from over there and i was very suprised by the damage. i'm sure you've heard this already, but its great that you were able to help out, really great. so many people here wanted to go help out but the distance made it very difficult. the government actually sent my old fire crew for a little over a month and they came back with stories of constantly getting sick inside sweltering shelters, but they all watned to go back again and help out. anyway, well done.

oh, and i'm going to a bigger video store tonight to search for ong-bak, hope i find it!

Thanks, I had some good guys working with me. Everybody did at least 12 hour days but kept going at it. We went prepared to camp out but got to stay with some real nice folks. Showers, good food and AC make a big difference.

It is only 7-8 hours from here so some of us will go back in the next few months.

Good luck with Ong-Bak.

Latest posts

Back