Post Pictures of Big Trees!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M.D. Vaden said:
I'll be spending plenty of time in the Redwood forests now that we live so close to them.

did you move back down south? i always thought cave junction might be a nice place to live. Close to the redwoods but still in oregon.

Big tree over house

a big take down in Scarsdale NY by Tree-PRO (aka J-MAX) using GRCS. a real monster ball buster

M.D. Vaden said:
I'll be spending plenty of time in the Redwood forests now that we live so close to them.

Can you just go to a Redwood forest and start climbing? e.g., that tree in your picture..are you allowed to set a line and start climbing?

Any rules?

Sizzle, you have shown some big trees...are you allowed to climb them?

panthro, its funny you asked that because i was just reading some old posts elsewhere that discuss this very issue. i also like to think i have a leg up on this issue because i have worked for both the state and federal government agencies that manage oregon's forests, which is really neither here nor there in regards to your question. . .

the answer is that the majority of public land does not have rules specific to tree climbing, meaning that you could walk up to any tree and climb it. however, I read that in sequoia kings canyon national parks you are not allowed to climb the giant sequoias. Here in oregon, there are no parks like that, so really any tree in any public forest is open for climbing, besides tree's of special interest like the Klootchy Spruce or Octopus tree.

but there is really more to it than that. here in the Specific Northwest, there are many tree protests, which involve tree climbing and tree sits. this is illegal for several reasons, which makes it big news here. The result is that the general public thinks that any tree climbing outside of professional work is unlawful. So, when Joe Blow sees you climbing either in the neighborhood park or deep in the national forest, they may misunderstand your intentions and be inclined to tip the authorities. Forest police officers dont need rules to make you leave, and they would just assume not see you there climbing trees. So, really, its not illegal but looked down on in a way that makes a person want to climb trees clandestinely.

Finally, I think climbing biggest and most notable trees is looked down on by most everyone. I would love to climb that cottonwood in my original post, but at the same time, i dont think its a good idea.

Im sure this is more than you wanted to know. and panthro, if you read this far i sent you a pm elsewhere if you catch me

Sizzle-Chest said:
panthro, its funny you asked that because i was just reading some old posts elsewhere that discuss this very issue....I'm sure this is more than you wanted to know.

Heck, naw, that's exactly the kind of input I wanted...thanks for the detail.

I'll catch you over the Rubicon.

i went searching for a good tree to climb and stumbled on this log salvage on a fire that happened a few years ago. some campers were drunk and let their campfire get away from them 5,000 acres later this is the result. the 4th picture is just outside the burn and is a good example of what this all used to look like.

. Wazzup, dawg? Those are some nice pictures...trunks a lot bigger than we usally see here in GA.

On picture 3, that notch/shelf cut into the stump...reckon that was where the feller placed a hydraulic ram to push the tree?

Crane Job Scarsdale

Tree-Pro and Evergreen crane and bucket. got all on the ground saturday 80% cleaned up. sammy from Evergreen is climber.

jmack used 180 climbing line and he wasnt all the way to top

Evergreen tree guys

Hernando Evergreens top crane operator and Sammy climber and bucket man

here is a big log for the midwest (populus deltoides) 7' dbh. 24' long (two men one day) after seeing the General Sherman tree all other trees look small!

Latest posts

Back