Poulan 5020 mix ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a "down market" Husky 450 Rancher, now that is my opinion... But look at the two saws specifications, they are kin to one another.

The PP5020 is made in China, and so what... Cry me a river, it is a fine tool, you will likely not care for the factory homeowners chain, but that is any saw... First thing you want to do is opine on "man, this thing rocks, imagine if it had a good chain"

I just purchased a 5020 and having looked at 450 for comparison,these two saws are different in the engine cylinder design from what I can tell from researching. I really like the 5020 especially when the muffler is opened ,doing away with the stock deflector,blocking it off and running a 5/8 by 1" tubing straight out the upper right corner,trimming the carbs butterfly screws to reduce air drag to enhance better flow and to reshape the upper portion of the intake manifold to reduce turbulence at that particular section to hopefully speed up the air along the long side of the roof. These small mods have make a significant difference in how my 5020 performs. I use the required mix ratio.

Since I had to tune my right out of the box. It has been the easiest starting saw I own.

I HAD to tune out of the box too (newbie with no knowledge of tuning and spine tool would have cussed it out and returned it I bet).
Would start but hard to, not idle at all or take throttle. L was way off. H was spot on or very close to my liking and little adjustment to I.

I was real lucky with mine, I had a runner from day 1, I only tweaked my adjustments for good measure.

A shame they don't come with the Carb tool, but of course it couldn't.

I was real lucky with mine, I had a runner from day 1, I only tweaked my adjustments for good measure.

A shame they don't come with the Carb tool, but of course it couldn't.

I would imagine in the not too distant future, all new two strokes from husky group will have some sort of autotune on them. Working its way down from the pro saws in orange, but it will get to the others eventually. Economies of scale and so on.

I would imagine in the not too distant future, all new two strokes from husky group will have some sort of autotune on them. Working its way down from the pro saws in orange, but it will get to the others eventually. Economies of scale and so on.

Some of the 455 has autotune on them now. Think I seen it in pics by dealer friend, during last winter or early spring this year.

Auto tune?, the exhaust sounds...? Is it like the auto tune rap/crap.... (I'm warming up this motha' ..... boggity, bow boww, ....) inside joke,

(The auto tune all these no talent hacks insist on using in modern music these days..)

It is a "down market" Husky 450 Rancher, now that is my opinion... But look at the two saws specifications, they are kin to one another.

The PP5020 is made in China, and so what... Cry me a river, it is a fine tool, you will likely not care for the factory homeowners chain, but that is any saw... First thing you want to do is opine on "man, this thing rocks, imagine if it had a good chain"

Where did you come up with that it was made in China???

A few points.
Very few 5020's are going to see enough usage for a reasonable oil ratio to make a difference.
Somewhat counter intuitively, changing a 2 stroke from 50:1 to 40:1 will make the tune leaner as the higher viscosity will cause less mix to flow through the carb jets. Most new saws are "jetted" for the thinner mix, and could have trouble getting enough 16:1 (just an example of an "old timey" ratio) thru the jets to run well.
Bad gas or straight gas will kill 1000 saws for every one that dies from moving from 40:1 to 50:1

Are they really? No kidding, how very very cool!!! Now I MUST buy a second!!! Blah ha ha..

(Didnt pay cash for my first, traded a destroyed HiPoint pistol for it straight up, saw was like new)

Just assumed they were China sourced based purely on the price alone, is this a fact, and what are we considering "made in the USA?" (I'm not an if its not made here I don't buy it type, I'm just curious..)

"Made in the USA" is unfortunately very abused. If something is made in China, and the final assembly (putting tires on a tractor, for example) is done here, it will be claimed as made in USA

Are they really? No kidding, how very very cool!!! Now I MUST buy a second!!! Blah ha ha..

(Didnt pay cash for my first, traded a destroyed HiPoint pistol for it straight up, saw was like new)

Just assumed they were China sourced based purely on the price alone, is this a fact, and what are we considering "made in the USA?" (I'm not an if its not made here I don't buy it type, I'm just curious..)

If your going to post assumptions, you should state that they are your assumptions, not that there a fact.

Wow Mark, last time I hung out you were real friendly..

I would say based on the price it is likely sourced in China. And that would be my opinion on where the saws are sourced from.... Not based on any fact.

(Guessing you think I am down on the saw?, NOPE... The 5020 is my "big" saw right now, LOL)

(And now that I re-read the quote you are commenting on, I was asking what the facts were..)

Think I remember seeing china on the flywheel. Some other stuff too. But I dont care and dont get wound up about it.

Next time the 450 is in. I will try and compare closer.
Plastics and cylinder and piston is what I could tell on a quick look see and IPL comparison.

I was just looking at the poulan pro website..not a single review there yet of the pp5020. Someone here could be first!

"Made in the USA" is unfortunately very abused. If something is made in China, and the final assembly (putting tires on a tractor, for example) is done here, it will be claimed as made in USA
Yes, but Poulan saws are made here,. Some China parts yes, but that is the way with all saws, some more than others though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back