PP330 broke, get an ms290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
066blaster starting his plastic saw :laugh::laugh:

attachment.php

View attachment 276002

I can't stop cracking up at this one.

It really is false advertising when they call it a Poulan "pro"

You poulan guys have a nice day working on your saws.......when you save up enough money get a Stihl:laugh:

Around here guys help each other out with saws. Meet some real good guys. We enjoy showing off our newly found saws, the rebuild, the finished product and the saw at work. If you are here to pi$$ people off and make yourself look stupid..well you've succeeded. If your not going to contribute anything worth while please go away. Its not a Stihl vs. Poulan thing. Its a quality vs. inferiority thing. All of us here know Stihl makes some great saws. BUT we know they make some CHEAP saws that big egoed, mis-informed, "saw experts" fawn over for no reason other than a badge on the recoil. Guess what, the 290 is a 56cc wild thing. The 330 is a much better built and performing saw. Theres a reason why they stopped production too, since Poulan and Husky are now owned by the same parent company Elux did NOT want a $200 Poulan that could run with the $500 Huskies. Schools out.

Last edited:
I have an 066, ms290, ms210,and husky 142 currently and use them all. I had a problem with the 066 flooding at start up, I got it figured out and it starts and runs great. the 142 i am not a big fan of it at all, and will sell it soon. but if your are serious about cutting wood and your" go to saw" is a poulan, you dont know what your doing. again i am not a saw mechanic but i have cut alot of wood for business and for pleasure. never really needed to fix my stihls. but i do know as well as 90% of anyone on the planet, poulan is for a beginner at best. and they are well known for being junk. alot of you buy these saws and fix them and you become emotionaly attached and think there good saws, dont kid yourself, you know stihl is the best. dont be jealous go out and buy one, your old poulan is like a stray dog, you feel sorry for it so you keep it around and act like you like it.:laugh::blob2:

Don't go comparing real Poulans with the ones you see in box stores today. The 306 will run circles around the MS290. There's plenty of real Homelites, McCullochs, and Poulans that are still running strong to this day.

She's A -RUNNIN!

I need to adjust the carb (idle) and fix that oil leak, but I'm back in business.

just as a reminder what was wrong in the beginning was that a vent plug was missing. I don't know if I lost it somehow or it was missing from the factory. But the saw worked fine other than smelling like gas al the time.

Also I was going to do a muffler mod while it was apart but as someone here said just get it back together first.

Don't go comparing real Poulans with the ones you see in box stores today. The 306 will run circles around the MS290. There's plenty of real Homelites, McCullochs, and Poulans that are still running strong to this day.

Me likes them old 306's...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oKwbWJEII-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Me likes them old 306's...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oKwbWJEII-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW this saw alone has probably cut more wood in the last 30 years that I know of than your 290 will EVER see.

She's A -RUNNIN!

I need to adjust the carb (idle) and fix that oil leak, but I'm back in business.

just as a reminder what was wrong in the beginning was that a vent plug was missing. I don't know if I lost it somehow or it was missing from the factory. But the saw worked fine other than smelling like gas al the time.

All right. Way to go. I'm glad that something constructive came out of this thread. I was wondering if the pissing contest was going to scare you away. Congrats on fixing a great saw. I know I wouldn't part with mine nor my dad with his. I currently have another one on my bench in the process of getting a 60cc transplant.

On the muffler mod, it is pretty easy. I remove the horizontal tube completely and open up the outlet hole to the same size as the deflector with a die grinder. Then drill some holes in the rectangular center support.
IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

All right. Way to go. I'm glad that something constructive came out of this thread. I was wondering if the pissing contest was going to scare you away. Congrats on fixing a great saw. I know I wouldn't part with mine nor my dad with his. I currently have another one on my bench in the process of getting a 60cc transplant.

On the muffler mod, it is pretty easy. I remove the horizontal tube completely and open up the outlet hole to the same size as the deflector with a die grinder. Then drill some holes in the rectangular center support.
IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

If you will take a drift punch, wooden dowel, or something round and LIGHTLY tap into the outlet hole sorta move the deflector out and muffler body in it will open the outlet to about a quarter ($.25) size. Be careful not to get real agressive with that part or you will seperate the deflector from the muffler body.

Next what I usually do is take a dremel tool and make 3 cuts on the red lines below. I also throw the spark screen in the trash.

attachment.php

th

.so nobody thinks it could be the gas cap not venting.. and i only had a small amount of gas in the tank I will take your advise but im just trying to eliminate the easy stuff. I also relized i am starting it with the bar pointing down. am i thrusting gas from the carb into the cylinder?

poulan

Fix some poulans to sell, you wont cause no one would buy them. huskies arent even worth fixing to sell..:laugh:

Hey when you are talking people in to trashing there poulan and buying a stihl keep me in mind and send the junk to me. I will be glad to pay shipping and something for your trouble. But do not blame us when those new saw owners are not happy when they see the new over priced saw ant what it is cracked up to be. It is good to see someone trying to fix there saw and guys helping dont you agree.

Back