PPE confrontation!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It IS a personal choice. I understand that. But why would a person choose to be hurt, if there was a way to prevent or mitigate it?

Hal

Some people take all the safety stuff off a table saw and wonder why they had a serious kickback.
More basic, Some people don't wear seatbelts in a car.

Conclusion? You can't fix Stupid.

But back to the OP's point, he wants to use PPE, understands that it can help mitigate a serious injury, he just doesn't have the means to buy it yet and doesn't want to get a load of BS for posting some pictures of he and his boys working together.

I agree with Alderman! I'm a 30 yr Volunter FD member (27 as a Chief), people can hurt themselves in so many different ways.

Emergency trainers describe four catagories for most incidents:

High frequency, High risk.......High frequency, low risk........Low frequency, High risk.........Low frequency, low risk.

The professional, who does this every day, knows the risk and prepares for it.

Most weekend yard cleanup falls under the "Low frequency, High risk catagory. Add "Newbie" to this and it spells "Something's gonna happen, sooner or later!"

The one I look out for are the tasks I don't do very often that shouldn't have much of a chance to hurt me. If I take it lightly, it will bite me!

On the drill ground, the complaining is loud and long, especially when it's hot. "Why do we have to wear our PPE?" Short answer: Incidents don't know the difference between a drill and the real deal. Practice how you play the game.

This site is full of chainsaw newbies looking for advise (that's how I got here and how a lot of us did as well). Its easy for the experienced folks to ignore posts reminding about PPE but if those warnings weren't there the new folks wouldn't have be reading them.

I bought chaps in large part due to reading about them here. No saw dealer I've ever bought a saw from has ever suggested that I need or should wear chaps or anything else. Safety is often inconvenient. I say suck it up and skim past the safety reminders if they don't apply to you

Personal Choice

I started using saws before there was hardly any form of PPE or saftey features available on saws. It generally depends on what I'm doing and the area in which I find myself working as to whether or not I'm wearing chaps, headgear. But on the other hand I never cut or use a saw wearing shorts or without boots or in low light (late evening)situations. I may not wear chaps fitting up fire wood. But if I am felling in thick woods with many overhead hazards I am fully suited for it. All the PPE you can pile on yourself may not protect you if YOU are not paying strict attention to what you're doing and where your B&C are ALL the time. Or what widow makers are in the tree next to the one you're felling.

It's the same for MC helmets. Some states/countries don't allow you to choose, others do and it's up to you do what you feel safe with. I have two rather fast Ducatis and wear full face helmets and leather top to bottom. Those bikes more or less force you into helmets as your head becomes part of the bodywork and are not comfortable to ride without. On the other hand when I am riding my full dress 1959 Harley panhead I rarely wear a helmet unless traveling interstate on the highway or to Canada. I prefer my ball cap.

As far as nagging, I've never cared for it much. I say educate yourself and make up your own mind. Just my own opinion......:cheers:

Unless management demands chaps are optional. :chainsaw:
My crew wears chaps!!!
cheerleaders4.jpg

My first pair of chaps(after my knee cutting accident) was a pair of leather ones. I had NO IDEA that there were special ones built for chainsaws. I say get a thicker skin on reading about PPE. When I went into the saw shop, it was for chains and they did not have any PPE in the store visible to even ask about. At least I figured it out before I had any more accidents.

I do worry about those who would risk injury that will have a costly stay in the hospital. If uninsured, we all pay. In a few years, all will be insured and we will all pay(no, I do not want to debate the Obama health care plan). I don't like paying for preventable injuries that I had nothing to do with.

Like seat belts and motorcycle helmets I would stop telling people to wear PPE if we practiced a "Leave them where they lay law". We do not, so put on your PPE and quit whining. Takes less than a minute to put on chaps, gloves, etc, thanks for the effort.

Many of the non fatal saw accidents that I am personally aware happened in the first 10 minutes of operating the saw that day and a large number of them occurred in garages, drive ways and shops. A few of those accidents resulted in a lifelong disability or at least dis-figurement. All caused pain, suffering and cost the general public lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Get over it and put your PPE on.

For those who choose not to wear PPE, I would suggest looking at and reading the accident and fatality thread here on AS. One that I think about often has to do with one of our members that took a saw to the face.

attachment.php

This does not directly relate to PPE, but is a very good example of over reaching abilities. And goes into the consequesces of the accident - no insurance, no workmans comp, etc.

There are ways not to pay full retail for PPE items. I do not think I ever have, except for hearing protection. Ebay often has PPE for auction. I got a pair of chaps at an auction for a volunteer fire department.

Hal

I could careless what people think when they see me without PPE, it's like seat belts, it's my choice, I have the stuff but it stays in the truck most of the time and I have the scars to prove it....lol...

Like seat belts and motorcycle helmets I would stop telling people to wear PPE if we practiced a "Leave them where they lay law". We do not, so put on your PPE and quit whining. Takes less than a minute to put on chaps, gloves, etc, thanks for the effort.

Many of the non fatal saw accidents that I am personally aware happened in the first 10 minutes of operating the saw that day and a large number of them occurred in garages, drive ways and shops. A few of those accidents resulted in a lifelong disability or at least dis-figurement. All caused pain, suffering and cost the general public lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Get over it and put your PPE on.

In my first post I stated that I belive in it,use it and make my boys wear it! I never whinned about it I was saying that we dont have every peice and Im tired of hearing about it. Its making me not want to post any more pics of our good times in the woods, Most folks like them and I like sharing. I get it I need chaps!:

Yeah right, was else can we tell people what they should or shouldn't be doing as I'm sure there is plenty here who could come up with plenty?

When I left home, my parents told me I was responsible for myself.

No wonder some refrain from replying to posts, post pics and vids because of the anal police.

If you want to make people aware of PPE, put it in your signature.

:dizzy:

I submitted a new safety slogan today to our safety officer--"Don't say 'I knew better'--DO better!!"

What do you feel when you see a guy with a broken neck because he dove into knee-deep water without checking it first? Pity? or "stupid SOB!" If we know better, why don't we do better? What are we out to prove? If I lay it off to forgetfulness, I haven't developed good habits. If I lay it off to being in a hurry, then I'm in too big a hurry. Sorry--no good reason for ignoring protecting myself.

I cut for 30 years with no PPE - then had a close call with the 361 - cut through the leg of my jeans but didn't touch the skin. That was all it took. I wear em now.

The way I look at it, if I post a video on this site (or any other), I'm setting an example. I don't want to think about an inexperienced user watching it and deciding PPE really isn't necessary and getting hurt. And who's to say you couldn't get sued for setting bad example? They sue for anything now days.

Sorry Charlie, but if I nag 10 people about not wearing their PPE and I succeed in getting one of them to actually do it, I consider that a home run outta the park. I will never stop nagging about safety. It is never bad to talk about safety. Those that don't want to hear about safety are usually the people that need to be told about it the most.

Thanks

I like to reiterate that I believe in PPE and am grateful for the occasional reminder,but Im talking about the 3&4 times per thread nagging. As a member with over 200 post and those with over 2000 you would think I've heard about it and know what it is . As stated before I have more now than ever and intend on getting more. I agree that the new guys need to be told about it and even reminded of it in continued posting of saws in action and no PPE. But the Older guys know and do not need berated over it.
I knew this would ruffle feathers but I felt strongly enough about it to get it out there.

so you start a thread nagging about people nagging about being safe.

how old are you, please tell us how long you,ve been around to achieve your infinite wisdom of who should and shouldnt use ppe.

btw a full set of ppe is cheaper than ONE visit to the ER.

Unfortunately, this is not an argument that one will win when going against those people who are too macho for safety gear or so self absorbed as to understand how their actions may impact themselves and others. I wonder how many of the people who refuse protect themselves have health, disability and/or workers compensation insurance in the event of an accident?

What suddenly was their business now becomes a burden for all. I just do not understand why someone would refuse to lessen a risk if a cheap and available solution is presented. Perhaps the federal government will fund a grant in order for me to determine the correlation between smoking, education, political affiliation, socioeconomic background, NRA membership and the use of safety gear. :)

Last edited:
Sorry Charlie, but if I nag 10 people about not wearing their PPE and I succeed in getting one of them to actually do it, I consider that a home run outta the park. I will never stop nagging about safety. It is never bad to talk about safety. Those that don't want to hear about safety are usually the people that need to be told about it the most.

Who says it's your responsibilty?

With this type of mentality, how many times in a day could you correct people with everything done wrong?

Those that feel the need to correct others obviously think they go through life perfectly.

Latest posts

Back